SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2018 Waterfowl Reports

1/3/18 @ 9:13 AM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another New Year, Post your pics and/or comments here for 2018!

Displaying 31 to 45 of 218 posts
11/22/18 @ 7:24 AM
birdin 24/7
birdin 24/7
User since 12/8/13

A few birds in manitowoc area, but a lot more in kewaunee. A few more weeks and back to Alaska to do some Bering sea duck hunting.

11/21/18 @ 11:00 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

OB,

Nice report.  I never considered a pelican eating a duck before your post.  After reading yours I found several videos/pics showing pelicans consuming ducks.  Here's a pic of a pelican about ready to swallow a diver.

11/21/18 @ 5:41 PM
OB.3
User since 1/6/13

Just sat and watched 2 cans play and a pelican and I swear try to eat them! Thing swam with its bill at waterline like a cripple and swam after them zinging and zagging as they turned about five feet in back of them, went after a few bills and they flew turned back after the cans and they took off too when it got too close! Had five bills 5 feeet in front of blind and all over the bay. The cans were at 40... also had 30ish mallards within sight some close enough to shoot. This was a first for me as I sat down 30 min before close and just watched.. didn’t shoot. Must be getting old. More ducks than I’ve seen at this spot all season. 

11/20/18 @ 8:06 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

You to musky bust some fighter jets.

11/20/18 @ 7:50 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
TR...no worries.  Have a great last couple of weeks to the season!!
11/20/18 @ 7:41 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Suspendedmusky my bad on that. I love diver hunting. I've killed blue bills in 200 feet of water out of the the layout boat on LM. I mainly stick to mallards these days because the lake shore doesn't really numbers of buff's and blue bills anymore for reasons I dont know. The long tail hunting got old to me with all people doing it. Also it's hard for me scout divers on water away from home because I have 2 young children now. I do miss diver hunting a lot. I know from reading your post you work hard and are a true waterfowler I enjoy reading your posts. Every year free guide comes on here trolling us cold weather hunters and he gets me every time. 

11/20/18 @ 7:28 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
I am definitely one who works hard to find and kill birds.  I put on 200 miles on Friday driving around the state to locate open water and ducks to hunt. I normally hunt all 3 zones during the year and have showed up to Lake Michigan launches in 4" of snow on last day of season, chopped ice from the landing, and then went diver hunting a few miles off shore. 

TR...when you make the comment to "leave the mallards to the true waterfowl hunters" it might upset a few people (not me ....I could care less).  However, I consider myself a "true waterfowl hunter", but I choose to not chase mallards all the time because hunting them is not all that exciting to me.  They are slow, easy to shoot, and I like variety (normally kill 16-18 species in WI each year).  Try anchoring in 130 ft of water on LM.  I would never consider anyone who does that vs. hunting mallards not a true waterfowl hunter.

11/20/18 @ 7:11 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Yes this year was a strange weather year. That made it tough. But if some people work harder at find new spots or birds instead of complaining on here all the time they could kill more birds. Every year it seems like free guide wants the season to start at the end of August or just be September- October season. 

11/20/18 @ 7:05 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
IMHO the WI waterfowl season (northern zone) should have opened up a week earlier (like normal).  There are a lot of early migrators that come through the last week of September.  This year the opportunity for those birds was lost. Couple that with early ice (which locked up a significant number of ponds, lakes, and backwaters) and the effective season was reduced substantially.
11/20/18 @ 6:56 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

I'm one of them. Free guide as of right I'm absolutely covered in mallards. In the areas I hunt. The wind doesn't look good to get out on the big water Thursday or Friday. So I might be getting the chainsaw out to cut a hole open in the river for those days. You can have hunting in 70 degree weather chasing teal and wood ducks. Those birds take no skill to decoy. Leave the mallards to the true waterfowl hunters.

11/20/18 @ 6:42 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

i make this same comment every single year here.  were are all the guys who think the season should start in the end of October?  so we get 3 weeks to actually hunt ? because every year there on here saying that same crap

11/19/18 @ 6:44 PM
Skunkbucket
User since 7/1/18

I'm in Jefferson county. Have seen ducks last 3 days from the deer stand. Some have been mallards, others I can't tell from where I'm sitting.

Most larger waters and all rivers are wide open.

Roughly 50+ birds in 4 flocks Sat, 20-30 in 2 flocks Sunday morning, flock of 10-15 tonight.

11/19/18 @ 6:28 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Probally more than the northern part of state.

11/19/18 @ 10:16 AM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
I know there is pretty much 5 ducks in each county in north zone sitting by a dam or a pocket of open water on a river. but what is remaining in southern part of state?
11/17/18 @ 10:49 PM
Skunkbucket
User since 7/1/18

Jefferson county still has some birds around.  Seen a few flocks of mallards and others from the deer stand today.

If you filled your tag today, it might be worth a shot.

Good luck.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 218 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE