MORE
Ice Fishing

New Gear 2018/19

7/11/18 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Thought I'd have to wait until September before getting excited about new gear being released, but I hear 13 fishing released their 2018/19 special edition of the BB freefall in purple at ICAST this week.

Can't wait to see what else this year brings!

Displaying 76 to 90 of 146 posts
8/31/18 @ 11:31 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
Wasn't planning on buying a drill this year but after looking at the cost of these generic batteries and some good deals on drills on ebay I'm really starting to think about it now...
8/31/18 @ 8:44 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I run the MKE 9ah batteries and then saw the generic version so I purchased one of those and gave it to a friend I fish with to test on the ice and at his job as a plumber. Happy with the performance on the ice and at the job.

8/31/18 @ 8:05 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Right?

Just some friendly discussion to pass the time until the hardwater gets here. Thanks for your input Chubsucker, appreciated as always!

Those insulated ion bags are the cat's meow, dads got one for his ion and it works great. I usually keep my spare battery in the back of my vexilar bag, at least blocks the wind and I always have it with me then.

8/31/18 @ 7:53 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Damn, he found another useful thread with good discussion to ruin!

8/30/18 @ 4:23 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

KV… when fishing early ice and walking, you can cut a ton of holes on one 5a battery while just carrying the drill unit and just a bucket. That's when I believe less weight can be an advantage. Lots of guys on this site with electrical expertise. Maybe they have compared generic to factory with like amperage and can chime in on that question. I use the Ion insulated battery bag with a little added foam. It can be carried in or on anything even over the shoulder, works great for me in all situations.

8/30/18 @ 1:19 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
If you're starting from scratch with no batteries, I'd agree two 5ah are better than one 9ah battery. Really not gaining anything for the added weight besides maybe avoiding your battery dying when you're scouting a 1/2 mile from base camp where the other battery is. But since I already have two 5ah batteries (and most people would unless they have an older drill since it doesn't pay to buy a new bare tool), I still need one more battery to last me a day on the ice so the extra weight is worth the added amp hours IMO. I'm not sure if you were talking about the generic batteries too, but my concern with those is if a 9ah generic battery only lasts as long as a 5ah brand name battery, it doesn't pay to save the money. If they are somewhat equivalent, I'm all for going generic!
8/30/18 @ 12:49 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Assuming nothing has changed in performance other then running time, what else is to be gained? All lithium batteries run at full capacity until fully discharged and then shut down. I have one of the old MKE Fuel 18v fuel drill driver kits that came with two 4a batteries and charger, bought it reconditioned and will be starting the 6th ice season on them. Unless you some-how destroy the battery, they are totally bullet proof. My point being now days the Fuel kits come with two 5a batteries. As far as total run time goes it puts you ahead of the game when compared to the 9a.. Lithium batteries are more efficient when kept warm. Easier to keep the off battery warm then one 9a. JMO ... no reason to carry extra weight on the unit when not needed.

8/30/18 @ 7:16 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I got one of the generic MKE 9ah batteries last year off of EBAY and it worked very well. Now the 12s are out, finding 9s at a reasonable price shouldn't be too hard.

8/30/18 @ 7:15 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
I've wondered about those, i've heard they are more tempermental with cold temps than the brand name batteries but it would be cool to see a side by side comparison video or something. Either way, $125 for 2 batteries is a steal.
8/29/18 @ 6:45 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Go to eBay and look for the "generic" version of the MKE batteries. Two 9ah for $125, we tested them last year and they held up great.

8/29/18 @ 4:51 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Back to the new MKE batteries for this year, finally got a response back from a dealer. 9ah batteries at 2.4# and the 12ah batteries are 3.7#. Fairly significant if you compare it to the weight of the unit as a whole. I still feel like the extra 3ah is worth the 1.3# for someone who doesn't have the 9ah battery like myself...

8/29/18 @ 2:33 PM
resolutetackle.com
User since 5/24/17

Resolute Tackle

Hot Pink Silver Spot UV Glow Tungsten Jig

One of a few new colors this year

8/27/18 @ 7:22 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

I was told that a adapter with the gear reducer was in the works to be out this fall, so that you wouldn't have to buy them and then take the shaft off the adapter plate and then install the gear reducer yourself allowing you to use a larger diameter auger. ie: buy it as an assembled unit not having to order a adapter and a gear reducer then put them together saving time and I would hope money. 

8/27/18 @ 1:42 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

What's wrong with the one they already offer?

8/27/18 @ 1:10 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Where is the Clam cordless drill auger plate with gearbox I was told they were working on

Displaying 76 to 90 of 146 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE