MORE
Ice Fishing

New Gear 2018/19

7/11/18 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Thought I'd have to wait until September before getting excited about new gear being released, but I hear 13 fishing released their 2018/19 special edition of the BB freefall in purple at ICAST this week.

Can't wait to see what else this year brings!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 146 posts
9/17/18 @ 7:40 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Schooley with a spring bobber is all you need. Custom rods are very nice but not necessary for me. The most I've spent on a rod is $40 for a pulsator rod but those are not the same as the $120 plus custom spinning rods. There are many good factory rods out there in the $20 - $40 price range that work great. I still use the schooley rods today if I'm fishing shallow water (which I do 95% of the time) and I'm in the shack. Outside of the shack I use a pulsator rod.

Another reason I don't want to spend more than $40 is because ice fishing rods can be broken so easily. In the truck, on the ice, dragging it out down a hill to get on the ice, etc. Lots of ways for them to break. Most guys have cases for them. I try to take a minimalist approach with my gear so I don't want to carry a case out with me every time.

9/17/18 @ 7:39 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

That can be said for any sport/hobby. The guy fishing from a 14' jon boat is no worse of a fisherman than the guy fishing from a 2018 lund tyee. A guy shooting a hand-me-down bow can be just as accurate as someone shooting a mathews. Remington 870 vs Browning citori for trap. People spend money on the things they enjoy. Still comes down to the person behind the equipment. Custom rods are no different, they just seem to be criticized more.

9/16/18 @ 6:53 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Yes, it is factually correct but let me expound upon that point. Custom rod prices are getting ridiculous and there is so much buzz about them that some people are beginning to think that they absolutely have to have them in order to catch fish. It’s bad enough that many have the sense that having a flasher is a must, or the latest high end auger....and still....there’s an old guy wearing a wool coat sitting on a bucket with nothing more than a spud to cut holes and some beat up schooley rods and he’s putting fish on the ice. 

Technology is great...I’m a fan...but the hubbub about the newest and neatest stuff can make many feel that they will not find the sport enjoyable unless they spend a ton of money on things that so many folks talk up as being great. That’s not a good thing. We want to introduce youngsters to the outdoors but if their parents are wrongly led to believe that they have to spend an insane amount of money they might not do it.  Chances are a 10 year old kid will have more interest in ice fishing if he catches fish on a schooley that he bought and paid for with his allowance money than if he is simply handed a high dollar rod that he won’t appreciate as much. 

9/15/18 @ 3:45 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Ulbian, while that may be factually correct about the Schooley, inside of an ice shack custom rods work better. I use Thorne Bro Rods. I haven't used any since yesterday, when I used a Finesse plus with a Lindy Fat Boy and a Perch Sweetheart with a Buckshot Rattle spoon with a Hali dropper to catch a bunch of perch. You can buy a stock TB rod or have them change anything you want.  

I use Schooleys frequently too. I am contemplating having TB make an improved version of the Schooley.

9/15/18 @ 10:53 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I jumped on the custom rod bandwagon last year. I'm particular when it comes to rods and I like being able to dictate how many guides, type of guides, type of handle etc. I wouldn't say that the custom rod is any better than a regular rod and I still used my ticklestick just as much, but I like how it looks and feels and plan to try a new custom company each year from here on out. At the very least, I have no reason to buy a high end brand name rod anymore.

9/15/18 @ 8:41 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

The great equalizer--- It's called a spring-bobber. Can be used about on anything, broom handle, fence post, you name it. Will give all the sensitivity one will ever need.

9/15/18 @ 5:53 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

As many are getting swept up into the custom rod craze, I like to point out that if you combine all of the fish that have been and will be caught with a custom rod by everyone who owns one, it still will never surpass the number of fish caught on a good old fashioned schooley rod. 

9/14/18 @ 9:32 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

The whole custom craze is out of hand, I agree, if it's on a peg in a package it's not custom.

Like crank baits and salmon flashers now, everything is "custom" but being painted or taped hundreds at a time. THAT'S NOT CUSTOM THEN!

9/14/18 @ 7:38 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

It's a shame that "custom rods" have become nothing more than high-end brand name rods. How can they call them custom if they are stocked on the shelf? And nowadays to get a truly "custom rod" it seems like you gotta fork up $130+ to make it the way you want.

At least st. croix has good customer service and a solid warranty though, makes them worth checking out.

9/10/18 @ 8:00 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

Depending on ice thickness, I will just drill a hole and put beers in the hole. They do not sink or freeze. Setting them outside they tend to freeze/become slushy. 

I had not seen the gadget though. Pretty clever, but pricey and bulky. 

9/10/18 @ 3:59 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
That dipstick thing has been floated around for 3-4 years already. Maybe it was just a prototype video that I saw back then. I know that there was some considerable discussion about them on a few other sites last winter and they were mocked. Personally I don't see the purpose in it. If you want cold drinks and you are ice fishing just set them outside. Why bother with a specialized gadget when mother nature can accomplish the same task at zero the cost? 
9/10/18 @ 8:15 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Better off using the Ice well live well, should be able to fit more than a 12-pack for half the cost. That barely gets a guy to noon on an average day.
9/6/18 @ 8:12 AM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

Jiffy will need to offer a free extra battery to compete with strikemaster in my opinion.   They include one and it's a 200 dollar value.

9/5/18 @ 12:36 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

I think somewhere in this post I read a 9/12a lithium battery weighs between 2/3#. Jiffy will probable up grade in that range. Wonder how much extra weight will be added compared to a tank of gas or propane and what the cost will be to an upgraded extra battery.

9/5/18 @ 12:34 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Yeah that's heavy. The lithium ion augers aren't for me anyways, i'll never be able to switch from a drill set up. It is interesting to see what different features they will be coming out with though to try and get the upper advantage on other brands.

Just wait, 10 years from now Marcum is going to have modified their RT-9 to include sonar, GPS, video, a wi-fi hub and an auger head. MSRP: $2,995 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 146 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE