MORE
Ice Fishing

New Gear 2018/19

7/11/18 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Thought I'd have to wait until September before getting excited about new gear being released, but I hear 13 fishing released their 2018/19 special edition of the BB freefall in purple at ICAST this week.

Can't wait to see what else this year brings!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 146 posts
9/5/18 @ 12:05 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"Jiffy might be a day late and a dollar short but better late than never to jump on the lithium auger bandwagon. Jiffy E-6 Lithium ion auger

The built in USB port is a nice touch though."

Still weighing in about 25-30lbs. Yikes.

9/5/18 @ 11:44 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Wow, a bit over 25#'s with the 8" auger.

9/5/18 @ 11:24 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

A simple lithium hand drill combination is pretty cost effective. When start to get into the larger drill combinations such as jiffy its starts to get pretty costly. Their 42v 6a lithium battery runs upwards of $190. I don't know how many holes drilling threw 12" of ice and up with an 8' auger will give you but if doesn't give you the needed holes, you can sure buy a lot of gas and propane for that money. That’s the only reason I mentioned Jiffy, they should stick to what they do best.

9/5/18 @ 9:55 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Those old electric augers are funny. Someone had the right idea, just missed the ultimate goal of going electric, convenience and mobility. I'm sure their lithium ion auger will compete hand in hand with strikemaster, Ion, Razr, etc. Just like the gas augers it comes down to preference now. They had to release something though to maintain their name in the game.
9/5/18 @ 9:46 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Jiffy not new to the electric game, limited success in my opinion. Quite a few years ago I bought the jiffy pro 11 Lectric. It ran on an external 12v battery using a 10' extension cord . I also added another 10' extension cord so it gave me some extra range on the ATV and Truck. Needless to say I was totally disappointed, being left handed the throttle assembly was very awkward to use and worst yet the gear ratio was so low it took forever to drill an 8" hole. That experiment only lasted 2yrs before I moved on. Even with their lithium battery models Jiffy is competing in a very competitive market. Best to stick with what they do best in propane and gas… JMO

9/5/18 @ 7:57 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Jiffy might be a day late and a dollar short but better late than never to jump on the lithium auger bandwagon. Jiffy E-6 Lithium ion auger

The built in USB port is a nice touch though.

9/3/18 @ 2:48 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Here are a couple threads that discuss the different drill options for augers. Unless I missed something, kdrill hasn't released any new equipment this year which is what this thread is about.

Kdrill drills

Cordless drills

Drill opinions

9/3/18 @ 9:10 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Not a big fan of underwater cameras but here's a couple new ones from marcum this year. Marcum cameras

Has marcum always used a sony camera or is that new?

9/3/18 @ 8:30 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Chubsucker made all of those numbers up, 5# is just over half a gallon of milk. I'd like to see someone drill a hole by hand only pushing with 5# of torque. 750# of torque is recommended, by no means what is required. Your efforts to talk the kdrill down are pointless. Everyone has come to the same conclusion that just about any drill/auger set up is decent and worthwhile, just comes down to preference.

Talked with a guy at scheels who said there's a new auger designed for drills similar to the kdrill and nils coming out this year. For the life of me I can't remember what company he said. Gives me a reason to stop back I guess.

9/3/18 @ 8:20 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

“It doesn't matter, it's just a hole”

Are you referring to arguing about augers or high school girlfriends.

Ridgid, Ryobi, and Makita all make a 750# drill so it’s not just DeWalt and Milwaukee. Pretty sure a few others are making them that big as well. 

My understanding is that the benefit of a KDrill is that it can reopen old holes better due to it having a chipper blade. 

Also, on the torque needed to turn an auger, my 750# drill grunts more when paired with a Lazer bit than it does when it’s paired with a mora style bit.  Both bits being the same size. The Lazer has more aggressive blades than the flat blades on a mora but regardless of that, if your blades aren’t sharp it doesn’t matter what kind you have.

9/3/18 @ 8:10 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Anyone else see how arguing about augers is like arguing about boat trailers? It doesn't matter, it's just a hole. 

9/2/18 @ 8:58 PM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

I saw jiffy is going to have a lithium auger this year.   I've used a strikemaster lithium and it is hands down the way to go.   Way better than the old gas/oil mix 2 strokes and hands down better than propane.   I've used them all and electric. Is the future.   No gas to leak and instant power.

8/31/18 @ 2:05 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm a fan of the innovative fishing tip-down. Mainly because I don't need another pole and it is super compact. They definitely aren't perfect and the reel is useless but they work for me. $30 at scheels, haven't seen them anywhere else. Tip-down

I switched from tip ups to the iFish pros last year so that I can reel the fish by hand. Wish there was a way to insulate them like those frabill thermals, I accidentally left one of the frabills out overnight last year in SD with temp in the -20's and there was only half an inch of ice in the hole.

Can't help ya out as far as crimping, interested to see the input from others though as i've thought about doing that as well.

8/31/18 @ 1:02 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
I got four of the tip downs from Mills Fleet farm last year. I forgot what they were called. Ran around $25- $30 I believe. Came with everything you needed and work really good. I could have built them myself but only would have saved a few dollars by doing so
8/31/18 @ 12:41 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Arguing about augers is like arguing about boat trailers. 

Anybody know a good tip down to buy? I need about 4 of those. And 2 more Frabill Thermals. 

And what crimps do I buy for my flourocarbon tipup leaders?

Displaying 61 to 75 of 146 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE