MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Food plot planning

5/21/18 @ 10:19 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm planning on planting a food plot in the corner of my lot that I'll be building on next year. The lot is about 4.5 acres of field and 4.6 acres of woods. I'm thinking of putting the food plot in the back corner of the field and putting up a stand in this corner. Then planting trees around the plot to build up the wooded portion of my land to about 5.5 acres total. My primary focus will be whitetail and turkey for hunting.

My questions are: 1. How big of a food plot to go with? 2. Do you plant the same thing every year or change it up, I've heard it depends on the farmer's crops in the area. 3. Do you manage a food plot as you would a garden, or let nature take its course once it is planted? 4. Does shape of the plot make that much of a difference? 5. Would a small pond next to the food plot be beneficial? I will probably need fill to build and there is no major water source within about 3 miles.

I probably won't plant the plot this year, but want to get it plowed up so I can plan out where to put the trees since it'd be nice to get those in this summer. I grew up hunting a swamp so we never dealt with food plots, it's all new to me.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Displaying 76 to 77 of 77 posts
5/22/18 @ 4:41 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I’ve been a long time observer on Lake-Link, but thought I would take the plunge and weigh in.

Congrats on buying your lot. Most of my food plot experience has been in the northwoods, but some principles should apply here.

I would go 1/4-1/2 acre, which is bigger than it sounds. In my experience shape makes no difference- in fact irregular shape can benefit you by helping control where deer enter and exit the plot. Use that to your advantage. 

I’ve experimented with water holes with little results, not to say that others haven’t had better results. My advice is to dedicate those resources to you food plot, and/or tree management.

A soil sample would benefit you to understand how much AG lime you will need to change the PH level. I use fireplace ash on mine to supplement lime when needed.

Have fun, and don’t be afraid to experiment. At least for me, it’s always a work in progress.

Displaying 76 to 77 of 77 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE