MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Food plot planning

5/21/18 @ 10:19 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm planning on planting a food plot in the corner of my lot that I'll be building on next year. The lot is about 4.5 acres of field and 4.6 acres of woods. I'm thinking of putting the food plot in the back corner of the field and putting up a stand in this corner. Then planting trees around the plot to build up the wooded portion of my land to about 5.5 acres total. My primary focus will be whitetail and turkey for hunting.

My questions are: 1. How big of a food plot to go with? 2. Do you plant the same thing every year or change it up, I've heard it depends on the farmer's crops in the area. 3. Do you manage a food plot as you would a garden, or let nature take its course once it is planted? 4. Does shape of the plot make that much of a difference? 5. Would a small pond next to the food plot be beneficial? I will probably need fill to build and there is no major water source within about 3 miles.

I probably won't plant the plot this year, but want to get it plowed up so I can plan out where to put the trees since it'd be nice to get those in this summer. I grew up hunting a swamp so we never dealt with food plots, it's all new to me.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Displaying 31 to 45 of 77 posts
9/4/18 @ 4:32 PM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14

SJB, Its getting late for Brassicas, I would plant winter rye, winter wheat and winter peas and clover. Your timing should be good. That stuff greens up right away and should remain lush, green and tasty for hunting season. It will provide food first thing in the spring also. You'll also have a head start on a clover plot for next year. I consider clover to be the best all season food plot there is.

9/3/18 @ 9:13 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Its closer to normal but still not standing water everywhere.    This is a picture of 8 day old winter rye.    

9/3/18 @ 9:35 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

How's the swamp looking after all the rain? We hunt a swamp in the Peshtigo area, was hoping we'd get the ATV back there for the first time in years to do some tree stand repairs but I'm assuming its back up to normal levels after all the rain.

50'x50' food plot was waaaay too small. Clover and rape grass barely have time to grow before it's being eaten. At least it's been keeping the deer around like I had hoped though.

8/31/18 @ 4:27 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

I am in a major swamp and I took a 300 yard walk to move a stand and didnt find a puddle.   It was that dry before the rain.    Besides a little flash flooding in Green Bay one day it was no big deal here.   We needed it bad.  

With those rain I had winter rye sprout in 48 hours.    

8/30/18 @ 7:38 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Kale  ?  You want your deer to be healthy   ???

8/30/18 @ 7:35 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Thanks for sharing.  I will go check either Saturday or Sunday. 

8/30/18 @ 7:57 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

SJB-

I planted kale on a Tuesday evening (8/21) in somewhat moist ground from rains a few days before. Rained on Friday, I had emergence on Monday (8/27).

8/30/18 @ 7:42 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Planted a food plot last week Thursday in anticipation of rain for Friday-Sunday.  In this plot, did not drag or cultipack after seeding, knowing the rain would push the seed into a dirt. Boy - did it do that and then some.  Need to go see if it is under ground as some of it is low land that floods in spring. 

Anyone know how quick germination will occur on a barasicca plot?  If this plot is drowned out, I may try to replant in the next week. 

8/29/18 @ 8:23 PM
GUDSUN
User since 2/25/02
Buddy in Kewaunee county said lots of rain up there, he has wood ducks in his food plot. That's the answer I got when I asked how much rain....
8/29/18 @ 10:44 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Wanted to check mine tomorrow  , but now it's probably under water  !

8/29/18 @ 9:39 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Heavy dew alone will do it for seeds that get buried. Stuff you overseed or broadcast on top not so much.   I had 0 rain for a week in kewaunee county 10 days ago and rye was 3 inches tall, peas where just popping out, wheat was up.    It will be slower but they will get there in time.    

8/22/18 @ 7:49 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I planted my plots 2 weekends ago. I have not been up north to check on them yet but according to my weather channel app it hasn’t rained since.  There has been a lot of dew in the mornings lately, is that enough moisture for the seed to germinate and get started?  There is finally rain in the forecast this Friday!!

8/21/18 @ 9:43 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Almost a year later, finally worked up and planted a plot this past weekend. 1/4 mile back on a small high and open spot (200' x 100') just out from the swamp, near my son's blind. Between the trail, getting the equipment back there, stumps, roots, limbs, soft areas......, it turned food plotting into a extreme sport. Lol. 

Caught one fella enjoying a old food plot upfront.

8/20/18 @ 8:54 PM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11

Was in Townsend this past weekend. Have only received minimal rain in the last month plus. All blackberries have dried up and food plot is starting to be overcome by weeds. If it does not rain soon, all work may be for nil!

8/17/18 @ 4:10 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Checked one food plot today   .  Winter wheat is coming up and turnips and radishes are just starting.  Not bad for planting last saturday . Need some rain here . Poured at home and some one way up . Then nothing at Oshkosh  .

Displaying 31 to 45 of 77 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE