MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Food plot planning

5/21/18 @ 10:19 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm planning on planting a food plot in the corner of my lot that I'll be building on next year. The lot is about 4.5 acres of field and 4.6 acres of woods. I'm thinking of putting the food plot in the back corner of the field and putting up a stand in this corner. Then planting trees around the plot to build up the wooded portion of my land to about 5.5 acres total. My primary focus will be whitetail and turkey for hunting.

My questions are: 1. How big of a food plot to go with? 2. Do you plant the same thing every year or change it up, I've heard it depends on the farmer's crops in the area. 3. Do you manage a food plot as you would a garden, or let nature take its course once it is planted? 4. Does shape of the plot make that much of a difference? 5. Would a small pond next to the food plot be beneficial? I will probably need fill to build and there is no major water source within about 3 miles.

I probably won't plant the plot this year, but want to get it plowed up so I can plan out where to put the trees since it'd be nice to get those in this summer. I grew up hunting a swamp so we never dealt with food plots, it's all new to me.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 77 posts
7/17/19 @ 5:57 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11
Anyone ever put in perennial rye. If so what was your opinion. Did it last a few years?
7/11/19 @ 8:49 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Saving a lot of time this year . Half my land has been underwater for about a year now . I still may get a smaller plot in yet .

5/22/19 @ 1:09 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Frost seeding clover 2 months ago or waiting until August to plant clover with a cover crop of oats peas and rye are your best options.     

Planting clover right now stands for a high risk of 1 month old plants with small roots getting cooked in the july sun and typical drought.    

Thats my opinion if u are trying to establish a perrenial clover only plot.   

5/22/19 @ 9:38 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

So how early is too early to get some clovers going this summer? Getting the itch already and going to be widening some shooting lanes and dragging the new plot this weekend to keep the weed growth down. I'll plant brassicas late summer but would like to get some clovers going and a camera out. As long as I trim the clovers throughout summer I should be able to plant within the next few weeks eh?

5/22/19 @ 7:19 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

BTW if you dont do anything with the rye it will get to about 3 feet tall ry out and die around the 4th of July.    It will be dead but alot of trash to clean up.   

5/16/19 @ 9:53 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Both of my plot areas are wet . The one is under water  , the other doesn't have standing water  but I wouldn't trust it to a 4 wheeler  ..

5/16/19 @ 8:47 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

BTW - sounds like you planted cereal rye. You can mow it to keep it from going to seed and promote younger growth. If you intend to do another planting of brassicas for fall you may need to terminate it using gly or tilling. Depends on your goals really.

5/15/19 @ 7:43 PM
Btw567
User since 9/22/17

I planted about 1/2 acre last summer with field rye, turnips, and radishes.  This spring the rye has really taken over and is about 8 inches tall.  Will this be a good food plot for the deer this summer and what will I have to do before fall?  Do I need to mow it to promote fresh growth for the deer?

10/15/18 @ 9:17 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Planted my first food plot this August. Hunted it for the first time last night.

Holy freaking crap.

If you don't currently have a plot, my advice is to get yo self some bib overalls and a straw hat cuz brother it's time to be a farmer.

I had to postpone my organ enlargement surgery so I could afford the lime & seed, but it was worth it.

9/7/18 @ 9:28 AM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

I planted my brassicas at the end of July. But together a mix from the feed store of forage brassicas, turnups, rape, kale, & sugar beets. 2 of my plots didn't look like they were doing well but on further review of cam video shows the deer are hammering them. On monday I planted a combo of oats, winter wheat, & winter rye next to every brassica plot so the deer got their salad and their grains.

9/6/18 @ 12:34 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Out of the 14 food plots in four different hunting spots, 2 are under water as we speak.  Usually in fall, these are dry areas, but simply could not absorb the amount of water we have seen.  Both WERE planted in brassicas, but must assume they are drowned out. 

So will go back and replant.  Thinking winter wheat and oats.  Anything else I should be considering?  Hopefully if no rain this week, get in there about next weekend. 

9/5/18 @ 7:34 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Way too wet for 4 wheeler last weekend . Now I would need a Jon boat . The oats/ wheat on higher ground looked good . Wish I would have planted more .

9/5/18 @ 12:36 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Yup, Kale there One Shot.

Kale is like the chubby '6' chick at the party.

When all the young bucks are chasing that overpriced Whitetail Institute, Tecomate, Imperial fancy mix, the big racked bullwinkles stroll in, spy that chubby 6 and know that she's the one that's gonna make 'em breakfast in the morning.

I got a half acre of chubby 6's with their aprons on ready to go as soon as the frost comes.

9/5/18 @ 12:25 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

I totally agree with  S.S.ESOX, he knows his food plots!

9/5/18 @ 8:05 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Agreed skip the brassicas at this point.    Too late to get any real growth.     Cereal grains like winter rye oats peas wheat are your friend now.   

Displaying 16 to 30 of 77 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE