SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
INITIAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 2,919 posts
8/24/23 @ 9:42 AM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
Xlesox, son in law should talk to the taxidermist. Many will skin it that night and put meat in a cooler for you. 
There is a Craigslist add for cooler space in the Tomahawk area.
Personally we have skinned our own bears and quartered the animal and into coolers w/ ice. Head and hides into a freezer.
8/23/23 @ 9:22 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
Xlesox
You can ask the butcher to not cut the foot pads when skinning that will help the taxidermist out. 
8/23/23 @ 4:54 PM
xlesox
User since 3/13/09
My son-in-law got his first ever tag this year and will be hunting in north-central Wisconsin.  He has some decent bears coming in.  I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to where he can take a bear (if/when he gets one)?  Obviously, with the temperatures at the beginning of the season, he will need to get the bear somewhere cool quickly.  He is excited to hunt, but I'm not so sure that he thought through this part of the process yet!  If taking it directly to a processor, do they typically skin the bear in a way that accommodates getting some sort of a mount done, if the bear is worthy of mounting?  Any and all suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.  TIA
8/23/23 @ 9:27 AM
Highbridge
User since 1/29/18
Love it when this is on the trail walking in.
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Highbridge
8/21/23 @ 8:28 AM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05
had this one come into the food plot the other day.
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by PSE
8/19/23 @ 7:58 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
The sow took out the paper wasp hive. You can see her putting her nose up to it. 
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Flipdibbler
8/18/23 @ 9:31 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
First bait of the season a sow and three cubs, chased off by a decent bear than a little smaller bear with a white v. Lots of morning pics and 6 o’clock ish
8/17/23 @ 8:59 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
SW   -     Piebald 

8/15/23 @ 1:01 PM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01
that's a pic of a bait bucket in case you're still wondering

8/14/23 @ 9:02 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
My brother got stung a bunch of times the week before  when he was picking up a log about 75 yards away from where I did.  It’s next to a big swamp and neighboring land with 100 year old pines. Nice and dark not far from there
I’ll post pics when I go check this weekend 
8/14/23 @ 7:47 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18
I’ve always had bees around baits, but have never been stung. Just move slowly without any jerky motions. At least in my experience, the bears do not seem to mind them being around.

Looks like that bait is in a pretty open area. Would be curious to know if it gets hit in daylight. 
8/14/23 @ 6:25 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
Anyone ever step on bees when baiting
I just started baiting Sunday. Our land was logged last winter so it opened up the woods in some areas   I was running like I did in high school hurdling stumps  faster than I ever was. Probably got stung 20 times. 
I killed some on me and saw yellow with black stripes yellow jackets I think
Then after setting the bait stump I saw a paper wasp nest next to it. I outed some grease close to it to lead the bear to it. Hope it gets taken out and munched at night. Didn’t want to move the site 
8/14/23 @ 2:54 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18
Looks like a slab of marble that someone leaned up against your tree. Care to enlighten us?
8/10/23 @ 5:12 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Hodag
8/8/23 @ 8:24 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
Albino bear
Displaying 46 to 60 of 2,919 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE