LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Deer tagging Regulation inserted into state budget.

6/28/17 @ 12:45 PM
INITIAL POST
ere
User since 2/22/07

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not. But Joel Kleefisch has inserted into the state budget a rule change eliminating tagging all together. Any thoughts?

Displaying 46 to 60 of 63 posts
6/28/17 @ 5:13 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Some of you are not catching the primary issue here. Namely, that a legislator takes it upon HIMSELF,  bypassing public hearings, the conservation Congress and the Natural resources board to ram a significant rule change into the state budget where it cannot be debated and passed/rejected on its own merits.

This kind of behavior by our legislators should not be tolerated.

6/28/17 @ 4:45 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

JC, I never thought of that one.  You are way ahead of me.

6/28/17 @ 4:12 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
I guess it isn't a big issue to me.  A person can already print multiple copies of their buck tag, so what good is the tag anyway?  You can literally tag a buck, take it home, not register it, and print out another tag.  Really a moot change to me.
6/28/17 @ 3:14 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

madforlabs,

If your Sen. or Rep. is on the JFC, call him or her. My Sen. is. I have already called. I have emailed Kleefisch before and he forwarded my email to my Rep., who sits on same committee. That was on a different issue.

I'll still email him to let him know how I feel. 

Tim

6/28/17 @ 2:52 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

free for all WooooooWhooooo!  Now I can pound like 40 sand hills with my one permit.  Jk

6/28/17 @ 2:24 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

Just the next step after phone in registration. If a warden catches you with a deer in the car or at your home (highly unlikely) and you didn't call it in you get a fine. A violator would violate before by not tagging, now he just doesn't call it in. Once you got away from not tagging immediately upon killing the animal it doesn't make a bit of difference. Businesses that registered deer may lose a little more business because more people will just call in to register but that's about it. Fines, if caught, are the only deterrent to poaching. There was a case in Waushara county where a land owner had poached and sold venison. The puny fine for taking a deer (I believe it was 100 at the time) was no deterrent as he had sold much more than that. Same as the illegal fish trade. Until the fines are much more than what can be made nothing stops. Even then there are some that will.

6/28/17 @ 2:02 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

....and, the Kleefisch staff inform me that he won't take my call or respond to an email because I do not reside in his legislative district.

6/28/17 @ 1:56 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

This is bad on so many levels...

I'll bypass the obvious issues relative to enforcement and increased poaching and focus on the PROCESS.

Kleefisch took it upon himself to ignore completely the Conservation Congress resolution procedure and consultation with the Natural Resources board . He took a personal agenda item, snuck it into the state budget where it receives no public comment or hearing and then has the audacity to state that this "simplifies" rules and helps recruit new hunters.  He effectively tears down the very process of citizen involvement and participation our elected officials purportedly use to guide their actions.

I'd contend that any future hunter whose barrier to entering the sport consists of having to tag a game animal is an individual I don't care to know or share the field with. 

I am totally disgusted with the actions of Joel Kleefisch.0

6/28/17 @ 1:44 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Evidently it includes turkey and goose tagging as well.

6/28/17 @ 1:43 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Not sure what you mean wicasa.

6/28/17 @ 1:42 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Agreed, proof of how sneaky it is , is the total lack of info on this. Talk about an end to enforcement as we know it.

6/28/17 @ 1:38 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Yeah. 1st off, what will this do ? What's the purpose? Recall the guy who stuck this into the budget is a known violator, though he has given back by taking a lot of new hunters out.

If this thing is such a great idea and he's so certain about it, introduce it as a stand alone bill the way it should be. He'd likely get an idea of how popular this idea is.

A non-fiscal item DOES NOT belong tucked into the state budget! It's cowardly at best to do so.

The best you can do is to call your elected officials and voice your opinion on this issue. The JFC has not finalized the budget yet.

Tim

Displaying 46 to 60 of 63 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE