LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Deer tagging Regulation inserted into state budget.

6/28/17 @ 12:45 PM
INITIAL POST
ere
User since 2/22/07

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not. But Joel Kleefisch has inserted into the state budget a rule change eliminating tagging all together. Any thoughts?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 63 posts
9/25/17 @ 7:48 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

I swear Im gonna sue the state for this printer I bought last week!

9/25/17 @ 1:26 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I couldn't care less.  Less stuff to do.  Poachers will poach regardless of rules.

I want to shoot one buck and if I kill that buck i'm on cloud 9 for months.  I have no reason to want to kill another buck.  I'm assuming people have fear that some will do that.  That would be my fear and i fear for the small bucks.  It's hard to kill one mature deer every year muchless kill 2 in a year.

I don't understand the poacher mentality.  I have met some,  all they care about is what people say about them or how good people think they are.  Losers.  I've contacted the DNR about one family.  Every year after a T-zone,  holiday hunt, youth hunt or huge storms...they always kill a buck with the bow the day later.  Odd huh?  Yup, a 223 with an arrow pushed through the hole.  I've let the authorities know on several occasions.  the poacher is sneaky,  he's yet to be caught as far as I know. 

Tagging or no tagging,  it won't change....or deter anyone that is addicted to it.

I know it includes everything,  like geese.  If a couple here and there are taken extra,  will a few hundred of piles of goose poop less at the boat landing really hurt anyone?  LOL

I don't hunt waterfowl but it sure would be nice if WI would let people tear up the local flocks.  Those things make an absolute mess of a park and boat lanches.

9/25/17 @ 12:44 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

I've mentioned that before regarding the tag material, other states ex. Wyoming have a durable material, shoot, validate, attach. Having no tag just adds another degree of difficulty for enforcement. As far as the paper tag, yes a waste of time. 

9/25/17 @ 12:05 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Completely agree Lakeshiner.  The change from the vinyl to paper was completely shortsighted.  Either use the green vinyl, or get rid of the requirement to tag an animal completely.  Comical how people think the paper will prevent poaching.  Poachers could always print as many tags as they wanted.  Once the tagged animal is home, just print another tag.  This was great legislation to fix stupidity at its finest.  

Now, the change from vinyl to paper to begin with, that is more of a valid argument.  

9/25/17 @ 10:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Well technically it came up earlier but it just took this long to pass the budget.  The DNR has to print the regs earlier in the year so if the politicians decide to change something through law, the DNR can't react to it in time.  Not their fault, its political like usual.

Violating won't change though.  People are quick to think it will every time there is a change, but think about it as if you were a poacher once.  How would you do it?

Older green thermal paper licenses:  Shoot deer, validate tag in the field, drive home.  If someone stops you like a warden, your tag is validated so you are legal.  99.9% of the time this will not happen so if no one sees you, purchase duplicate/lost tag for $20.  What prevents you from doing this?  Lack of $20.

Paper tag:  Shoot deer, validate tag in field, drive home.  Did someone see you this time?  If no one sees you, print off new tag from the saved PDF file on your computer.  What prevents you from doing this?  Lack of paper or toner.

Now:  Shoot deer, drive home.  Did someone see you this time?  If no one sees you, go hunting again. 

Poachers can now save $20 or paper/toner.  Those weren't exactly big obstacles.  This is why I think good people will remain and for poachers its business as usual.  I obviously hate poachers like anyone else, but the way they get caught is when they talk about it more than with a tag issue.  Every case I can remember involved people knowing someone shot 2 bucks, etc.

9/25/17 @ 3:18 AM
og tower
User since 8/26/12
Just a head scratcher that they would decide to completely change the rules in the middle of the season like this. Whatever is decided on maybe they can stick with that for a couple years at least...
9/24/17 @ 7:26 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Oh my god did migr8r right campaign commercials in another life. Money better spent on what? The dept runs on bare bones now. This and other 'brilliant' moves have gutted any enforcement abilities of the wardens, add to there already expanded responsibilities things like state park 'ranger' duties, and a reduced number of officers. Why would a warden even want to get out of their truck. And I dont buy the line lines a poacher will poach. This change will put people back in the woods after they've already shot a deer. That guy who pops a buck in early October is gonna go back out for the rut, count on it.

9/23/17 @ 10:50 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Yes, let's enable the violators even more.

More efficient DNR? Please enlighten us on that thought what with massive retirements and a record number of unfilled positions within the agency. Those are facts. How can they possibly be more inefficient and unable/willing to do what they are supposed to do than they are now? 

Tim

9/23/17 @ 9:06 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I'm all for easing tagging regs. Bottom line is there have always been violators and will continue to be violators. Those who are law abiding, will continue to abide by the laws. This rule change will have little or no effect on the overall population of wildlife. With the DNR operating more efficiently and cost effectively, spending can be put forth to more productive means, which will likely have a more positive impact on all animal wild animal populations in the long run. 

The govt needs to micromanage everything less and we as citizens need to be more accountable for our own needs and actions. If you want a future with less poaching and honest sportsman, get involved. Mentor and teach ethical sportsmanship. 

9/23/17 @ 6:30 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Kleefisch is nothing more than a coward. If this was such a great idea, why not give it the typical review and hearings and vote? Sticking this into the budget is total B.S. Walker is a coward to for not vetoing it.

What about the blather that there would be no policy items in this budget? Sadly, voters won't remeber this next time these clowns are up for reelection. They'll just look at their property tax bill and be happy it's $25 less than it used to be. Never mind the forests are now going to be neglected. 

Tim 

9/23/17 @ 1:59 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
9/23/17 @ 12:54 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

So after harvesting deer do you still have to tear the bottom of the paper tag off

9/23/17 @ 9:43 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Great !  So if you hunt your own land  ,  dont need a backtag and cut up your own deer . There is no need to even buy a license  . Just keep your mouth shut and don't have sausage made or give venison away . 

And now I hear Kleefisch  wants to be next DNR boss . He's  qualified since he's received several hunting violations already !

9/23/17 @ 8:17 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/releases/article/?id=4335

Done deal, budget signed. Unbelievable.

6/29/17 @ 1:37 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Honestly,  big deal.  no tags no registration.  BUT,  don't come to the WI people saying there is an over population. You can't tout numbers if you have no system in place to count it.  

If we are making changes,  why doesn't WI let the archery season end at the end of January like metro.  I'm in favor of a positive change for once that won't affect a lot of people.

I hate the argument,  "oh, bucks will be shot".  Cmon,  you must have never seen a deer that dropped.  there are giant holes in his head.  it's near impossible to miss.  Plus all the wisconsinites that run camera's,  tell me on average when you start seeing horns dropped in Dec and january.  very few.  I see bucks holding till late march early april.  I've seen bucks also with holes on the last day of the late season,  Jan 8th.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 63 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE