LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Deer tagging Regulation inserted into state budget.

6/28/17 @ 12:45 PM
INITIAL POST
ere
User since 2/22/07

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not. But Joel Kleefisch has inserted into the state budget a rule change eliminating tagging all together. Any thoughts?

Displaying 31 to 45 of 63 posts
6/29/17 @ 1:25 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

How long until registration is no longer mandatory? That to me is the logical next step. Remember as part of the deer trustee report implementation the SAK model is to be replaced with other metrics TBD but the decision was made to stick with it until those metrics are developed. My guess is the next budget cycle will have been long enough. If carrying in your bag full of gear and validating a paper tag is too much of a burden that it is hindering new hunter recruitment and driving current hunters out, that registration requirement certainly is far more burdensome. 

6/29/17 @ 11:10 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Lakeshiner,  figures,  i've been thinking of going there for years.  I haven't though but it's on my list.  

6/29/17 @ 11:05 AM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

JC,

In case you weren't aware, the need for a pencil is over. Still need a paper tag but now it simply has to have the bottom part torn off to validate it. You fill in the info when you register it. I think I recall reading something about making changes so that multiple tags cannot be printed but not certain about it. The DNR is at least aware that it's an issue.

Tim

6/29/17 @ 11:02 AM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Okay, so I've done what I can do. I wrote to the entire Joint Finance Committee to voice my concerns/opinions over this issue. Recall two years ago when they stuck an item into the budget that would have greatly curtailed open government and it was met with a huge outcry statewide forcing them to remove it.

We can and need to make the same thing happen here. It took a few minutes to cut and paste Legislators email address into the letter but it has to be done. I for one, am not going to simply accept this. I pointed out they had announced earlier that non-fiscal item would not be a part of this budget. I also pointed out that this circumvents the standard process for this type of issue and left us without a voice.

I also cc'd my Rep. and Kleefisch in the email (My Sen. is on the JFC)

I also sent an email for Kleefisch, even though he's not my Rep. and cc'd my Rep. and Sen.in that.

Keep it civil! The strongest word I used was cowardly. I'll keep you posted as to any replies I may get.

This is a democracy.

Tim

6/29/17 @ 11:00 AM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

Whats it cost for them to print up a tag. $.o50 or 1 dollar at most.

6/29/17 @ 10:56 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Sorry for detailing how to beat the system for printing extra tags, that is not what I meant to do.  Just trying to show that the paper tags have a major drawback, and really are completely unnecessary, and really a pain for all of us hunters.  Having to carry a pencil, somehow protect the tag from getting wet or ripped, etc. is just a poor idea to me.  Sure it saves a ton of money from ink usage and tag material however.  But the ability to print tags anytime you want is an invitation for poachers to keep tagging and not registering kills.  A tag's purpose is to prevent poaching, but a paper tag stored on your computer does nothing to prevent it.

I get more upset if a legislator puts something in a bill that doesn't make sense, but to me there is really no drawback and in fact helps all hunters out.  I would rather see a vinyl license that would have to be slit like the old ones if people are concerned about poaching.  Not necessarily a back tag, but something smaller and cheaper that helps prevent poaching.

I am not up in arms about it like many of you, and to believe that Walker and his cronies are the only ones that play these games is short sighted.  To me, this can speed the process up to get rid of these stupid paper tags instead of taking years to get rid of something that is completely not beneficial whatsoever.

6/29/17 @ 9:56 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

That's why I said most don't, but some actually do.   Maplewoods in Green Bay asks for it (under requirements).

wildgamepricing.pdf

Now they also take DNR customer number, so maybe they'll just do that from now on.  Or maybe the DNR will email us the registration number since we have no tag to write it on, who knows...I guess technically its emailed already I think.

6/29/17 @ 9:08 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I've taken my venison to Haens,  cedar creek,  brandon meats,  Meat Block,  Reetz, Ablers....never once got asked for a tag.

6/29/17 @ 9:03 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Agreed squeezer, but remember; our DNR is cutting positions . I like the Wyoming model, its not perfect but it puts the wardens out there.

6/29/17 @ 9:01 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Some meat processing places do want a registration number, they track if it was shot in a CWD area or not.  Most probably don't, but they do exist.

I agree that the tagging is a mute point, the issue is how they did it.  What a joke.

6/29/17 @ 8:38 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

And when confronted by a warden in the field all one simply has to do is say I haven't registered it yet since there will no longer be a tag to validate at the point of kill. The burden of proof just gets more difficult to obtain. I doubt the shenanigans increased a whole lot when we went away from in-person registration since there was a paper trail but this makes it a whole lot easier to violate and much harder to prosecute and I'm guessing the die hard violators will agree. For some people it's just too tempting. Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. It'd be nice if WI could pop up the roadside check stations like they do in Wyoming and Montana to keep people a little more honest. 

6/29/17 @ 7:40 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

they are all scum bags....Walker is too.  Play by their own set of rules boys.  these are the assclowns that need to go,  remember this stuff in the elections.  I don't like weasels and much of madison right now is.

A deer processing place couldn't care less if you have a tag on it,  it's not required....but it should.  Tags should also be required for a the taxidermist...but it's not.  Tags need to stay in the hunters pocket and with the processed meat.  there should be 3 tags,  one for the meat market,  one for the taxidermist and one for at home. 

If madison held the meat markets and taxidermist accountable,  it would be MUCH harder to do things illegally.  Maybe not at the point of kill,  but beyond.

It's all about easy....they are moving away from putting boots on the ground.  there are no wardens to enforce the rules in the timber,  why spend money on printing tags or the logistics behind it.

6/28/17 @ 8:18 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I agree , what a weasel move . 

Whats going to happen when you take a deer to be processed  ?  How will they know it's registered?  

6/28/17 @ 6:29 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Yes a person can print multiple tags, however; once the tag is phoned in the ability to print multiple tags goes away. I guess I feel that just the step of validating a tag and having the tag with the deer takes a little of that temptation to keep hunting away. Not having any 'paper' trail has to be a nightmare for enforcement. I believe the only way someone is going to get pinched for overbagging will be via someone turning them in. I know the line a poacher is gonna poach, but we are not making things any easier for the wardens. 

Inserting these types of items into the budget is a garbage way of doing things. Not to long ago I read that there was  some type of agreement between the legislators to end this garbage. The result of sliding these things is evident as to how effective it is. Visit any of the other hunting sites and you will find zip on this topic.

6/28/17 @ 5:33 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

EXACTLY!!

Tim

Displaying 31 to 45 of 63 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE