SEARCH
MORE
Archery

What cross bow do you think is the best

2/21/14 @ 10:48 AM
INITIAL POST
bob kaz
User since 1/7/02
I purchased the Ten Point with acudraw crank system , really a great bow ! I t. Ride to pull other bows back even with the 50% let off cables and couldn't the crank system is really a great tool , Thanks Ten Point . This setup allows me to still bow hunt probably will use it for rifle too.
Displaying 46 to 60 of 124 posts
2/21/16 @ 9:10 AM
Old Salt
Old Salt
User since 8/14/02
+1 on the Barnett Jackal. Is it super fast? Not really. About 315 fps. Is it quiet? Nope. Pretty loud as a matter of fact. Is it light? Not at all. It'll give you a workout if you have to carry it very far. BUT - Is it accurate? Oh yeah. Is it affordable? Exceedingly so. With the money I saved on the crossbow I was able to use to buy superior optics, a bipod and a rail mounted light and still had money left over for extra bolts, top quality broadheads, a target bag and more. Does it kill deer? Can't speak for it's potential in anyone else's hands, but I've killed well over a dozen deer with my Jackal and it still has the original string. So yeah, it kills deer for me. This was just going to be an entry level crossbow for me and I had intended on upgrading after a couple of years, but I really see no need to. I'll put the money I would have spent towards upgrading my vertical bow or fishing equipment.
2/20/16 @ 10:10 AM
crappiesnatcher
User since 2/13/14
I shoot a Barnett Jackal matched with a Nikon XR scope. The Barnett scopes are junk, so must upgrade. This setup is a tack driver out to 60 yards. This setup is under $400. Awesome!
2/19/16 @ 10:13 PM
Carp King
User since 8/7/01
The best crossbow I ever owned was homemade. I made it out of Lincoln log roof pieces and a cross piece from a kite. I used duct tape to piece it all together. I mounted a rubber band to it and proceeded to shoot wood dowel through it into my parents false ceiling in the basement. It was awesome watching them stick into the foam.....until dad got home from work !!!!
2/17/16 @ 10:17 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09
I have a 10 Point that I bought about 4-5 years ago. I have shot 5 deer with it and I was using Rage broad heads. Every deer dropped within sight and the furthest ran maybe 100 yards. I have shot numerous deer with my vertical bow with similar results. The times that I had a problem recovering my deer (very few in 36 years of archery hunting ) was because I made a bad shot or rushed the recovery. I feel the 10 point is a great product although I have not used any other cross bows. I also hunt with a vertical bow and I like to use both. The cross bow is loud, bulky, and a bit heavy. I believe its advantage is being able to set up for a shot with very limited movement and the lack of a proper shooting form required compared to a vertical bow. It is not a cure all for bad shot placement! Nothing is except maybe poison. I keep my shots with both bows at around 30 yards and under. A cross bow is just a tool that still requires proper shot placement. I hope all hunters recognize this. I think its a neat way to hunt deer.
2/16/16 @ 12:52 PM
buckatabon-10
User since 4/1/10
Just google rage two blade chisel tip deer kills. Enough for me.
2/16/16 @ 10:39 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
I agree with Moose also. Many people think that Cross bows will make up for their inadequacies in archery skill and motivation. Just pick up a X bow and I only have to shoot a few times to sight in. I've heard it all...I have no time. buy a X bow I can't shoot a vertical bow well. buy a X bow I lost my last 3 deer. Buy a X bow I had a buck at 50 yards and couldn't get a shot. buy a Xbow. Well the answers to those issues are: Time is what you make of it, i have 2 kids and a needy wife, I still make time to shoot 4 times a week. takes 10 minutes. You can't shoot well, then PRACTICE more. You lost 3 deer, well take better shots and shots you are comfortable with. Xbow's effective range IMO is less than a Vertical bow. if you know anything about momentum you will understand. 22 inch bolt...and a generous 10 gpi say...100 grain head (xbow guys should be shooting min of 150 grain heads) insert, nock vanes you are at a meager 350 total grains. THATS LIGHT. then shooting at 350 fps, your penetration SUCKS. Xbows suck simply because people think they are some "mythical creature" and are a "cure all" to their issues. well they are not and if you are not educated on them, get educated before you walk into the woods with one IF you shoot a Xbow, take my advice, dump that stupid Rage broadheads or the other goofy expandables and buy your self some 180+ grain heads. there are a lot of heads on the market that are HEAVY...if you MUST shoot a Xbow at least do the animals a favor, use a heavy as hell head 180 to 200 grain. you'll just blow right through them. I know MANY guys that hit rib cages that don't get passthroughs. Trust me on this, shoot a heavy broadhead.
2/16/16 @ 10:36 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13
mom2three, The Reelshot on calumet street has a indoor 3-d shooting range where you can shoot crossbows. They are also a Tenpoint dealer, so they can not only coach you on use and shooting, but take care of any maintenance. Manager is Mark and he is trustworthy. Hope this helps you.
2/16/16 @ 9:14 AM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
Actually, Chamoose is right on the money. My buddies that use cross bows complain about the bulkiness, noise, having to walk with it unloaded, and length of time it takes to reload. They WERE only allowed for the hunters that had trouble drawing back a bow due to age or physical limitations. Everyone wants to jump on the cross bow wagon because it is a cool looking gadget, but they have tremendous limitations. As stated, they are most effective under 30 yards because the bolt carries no kinetic energy beyond that range. 85% let-off bows are a little farfetched. 60-70% bows allow some back pressure for accuracy, and you still have to draw that sucker back before it rolls over. I will take a bow over a cross bow every day of the week for hunting.
2/16/16 @ 12:47 AM
buckatabon-10
User since 4/1/10
1Chamoose,you sound like other people on hear that just want to bad mouth cross bows or people who use them. I have had people tell me they shoot there 85% let off compound with fiber optic sight at 50-60 yards while hunting with the same results. It's not the tool but the one shooting it.
2/15/16 @ 3:31 PM
1Chamoose
User since 1/18/13
None... Garbage unless you are old or disabled! Already heard guys at range talking about 50yd misses or wounding deer at 40+ yds . I swear with this law and the hunting age the state wants the deer gone. Let's introduce more predators that prey on white tails! Thank god dinosaurs are extinct
2/15/16 @ 12:21 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
Do any of you men remember the movie "Dodge Ball" ? And Average Joe's Gym, will I'm one of the guys who's an average Joe crossbow hunter. I use a non expensive Barnett bow, shoot 4 dollar bolts from Walmart with the cheapest hunting tips I can find. Bow speed is 330, its scoped with 1 power Bushnell sited for 20 yds. I can hit a grapefruit all day at that distance, do I have to mention I'm 72 years old and blind in my right eye. So I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to spend a pile of cash, but do as you wish. It all comes down to you decation to the sport and set up of your equipment, plus practice, practice practice, and time in the woods.
2/15/16 @ 10:45 AM
mom2three
mom2three
User since 3/31/09
I just purchased a Ten Point Stealth SS last week. They showed me how to use it and I sighted it in. I want to be very good and feel natural using this (I feel kind of "clumsy" going through all of the motions right now). Where is a good archery range in the Appleton area to practice and is there such a thing as a "crossbow class"? I'm hoping to use the bow turkey hunting this spring.
9/14/15 @ 6:27 PM
dodger
dodger
User since 9/3/01
Update: I shot about 60 more arrows through the Mission MXB400. No problems except that I can't follow the arrow at all. Without a lighted nock I hoped that I made the best shot possible which would lead to a short blood trail. Reality: Some times things happen... Possible Solution: I bought a Tactacam video camera. Had it mounted to the scope. Now if something happens I'm hoping to pull the chip, look at the video to see what happened to the shoot. Criticism: I know, I know. When are we going to stop with the gimmicks. Like I said if I want to bow hunt I had to go with a crossbow. As it was written; go with speed and deal with the problems. I absolutely agree.
9/11/15 @ 1:51 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
The problem is that the average consumer equates speed with how good a crossbow really is. It is just like vertical bows. Speed is touted to be a main selling point. If your bow is faster, it must be better, right? When you crank up a crossbow to 350 plus FtPS those short little limbs are under a lot of stress. They have a real short power stroke and the slightest little thing can make them break. When any component fails, and it leads to failure, it is like a grenade going off. There is crap flying everywhere. The companies are pushing the envelope in response to the demand of consumers. I don't have an answer but that is what is going on. Anything around 325 ftps is plenty fast. Buy a super fast bow and expect problems. Mrt.
9/8/15 @ 7:22 PM
dodger
dodger
User since 9/3/01
Update: I forgot my quiver at the Pro Shop so I went back. I was surprised when they told me that another MXB400 came in right after I left with exactly the same problem. His MXB400 Blew up also. I really truly believe I own one of the very best, fastest and most accurate crossbows on the market. I'm disappointed though that I may get stuck with a $100 repair bill and worse get hurt from shooting this crossbow. Have we have reached the breaking point in crossbow technology ? Good Luck to all !
Displaying 46 to 60 of 124 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE