LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?
Displaying 61 to 70 of 144 posts
3/27/21 @ 11:36 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Great to be out there today. Ice was in better shape than I had expected. Had anywhere from 8 inches to 12 1/2. South Shores much better where I was. Good ice too. It wasn’t crumbly or rotten. Drilled solid.

Walking out was super slippery. Then walking back had good grip. Had some softening  from the sun early. That it cooled down  and it rained late and then turned to snow. That made the traction really good actually. 

Fishing was slow. But great to get out there and felt  safe. Just had to use some common sense as they were areas to avoid. North shores. And anything that looked suspect. But overall, ice was really good.

Every lake’s  ice can be so different now. And Sometimes even heading 30 miles north makes a big difference. Ice in Three Lakes can be a lot different than ice in Boulder Junction.

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow again.

3/26/21 @ 7:53 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Going to head out 2x this weekend, then that's probably it. Fortunately we've had cold nights the past couple and the rain was a cold rain vs a warm one. I really think the worse thing for the ice are those sunny days in the upper 50s or low 60s. A cold rain doesn't seem nearly as bad.

Both lakes I'm heading to have had great late ice-both fishing and safety in the past. Checked one out today and it was in really good shape yet. South side. 

Other lakes are horrible if not extremely dangerous. Can't be too choosy right now. Gotta go where it's safe.

3/23/21 @ 9:42 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Hate to admit it, but my ice season is over for the year.  Been a good one,  inspite of not making it to Winnipeg this year

3/21/21 @ 4:20 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

My season is over. Gear put away. Worst March for me in years. This season got progressively worse starting with the brutal cold snap in February. Never found a pattern after that and the "late" ice season by me only lasted about 2 weeks.

3/21/21 @ 7:37 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Late ice used to be good.  Fished a small lake about 100 acres March 8 and on March 11 it was wide open!!   

3/20/21 @ 8:55 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Gotta love 55 degree day's sitting in the sun ice fishing and catching big gills and perch in March!!

3/19/21 @ 10:10 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I’m done for the year. Came up north and me and my wife and dog walked down to the frontage. It is pulled away due to the spring out front and SW facing shoreline. The dog walked out to the ice and broke through several times until I called him back. Will be putting the gear away tomorrow instead of fishing. I could access the lake from several other properties but it would entail dragging the shack by hand and walking an few hundred yards more. Maybe would have done it 10 years ago but not now. I’ll get the crappies in a few weeks from the boat. 

3/17/21 @ 7:44 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I have a personal hope  of being able to ice fish March 26 through March 31. Have some time off of work. Normally, that would’ve been a slam dunk. Even two weeks ago It looked like a slam dunk. Now, I’ll be thankful just to have a few days n the front end of that. We’ve been fortunate though. The last four days have been cold. Some really cool nights too. Now the warm-up begins.

I know everyone’s fears the rain. But I’ll take a 44° rain over a 55° sunny day. I don’t think the rain makes as much of an impact on the ice as the sun does. Just my opinion.

3/17/21 @ 8:20 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Went from fishing on 15-18 inches of ice to being able to fish open water in 3.5 days in La Crosse area.  Fastest melt I've ever seen.  After that week of extreme cold I was guessing we'd be ice fishing close to April this year.

3/16/21 @ 6:00 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13

was up north last weekend and put a hurting on the crappies. Ice was 18"-20" but the shoreline where we accessed was going. Panny optics finally paid off. found some schools of deep water crappies & was able to hang with em till picked a limit. Tons of fun, my son, my brother, & myself. 3 man limit. Don't get your pannies in a bunch, it's the only fish we kept all season & it was a big lake. LOL

Displaying 61 to 70 of 144 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE