MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 91 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/2/21 @ 3:01 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Hey, Pikey. We have decent base most lakes, 16 to 20 inch. The lake the guy went thru was a spring pond, has only 12 inch and almost no hard ice left there. But that's an anomaly.  Hey! The uninhabited spring lake was the one YOU  told me to check out, in the woods on the outskirts of town. Finally made it down there

3/1/21 @ 8:44 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

That’s horrible to hear JB. What is your base level right now for ice?

Don’t underestimate bass fishing under the ice as well…

3/1/21 @ 1:23 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Saw my first guy go thru with one leg, getting off the north side on a Waukesha County lake Saturday.  Time to be careful about north side access down here. Lots of years  I have to stick to south side access the last week to 10 days of ice. 

This year, looking to hit some good bass lakes in March, now that there's the catch and release season!

3/1/21 @ 8:21 AM
fishnhunt14
USER SINCE 4/17/07

This coming weekend may be the last two days on the ice for me near La Crosse. After Saturday there are no temperatures below 32 in the forecast. 

The river is starting to rise slightly and is really going up fast further south. This makes the ice go out even faster. 

After another good day on the ice I will be ready to get the boat out for the spring perch run.

2/28/21 @ 11:06 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

I agree with you, n. pike.  In the 22 years I have lived in Southern Wisconsin I have gotten onto the ice the first week of April just twice!  When I lived in Green Bay I remember, as a kid, driving out on Green Bay and Shawano Lake, and Roberts Lake (Forest County) the first week of April a couple of times!  Average ice-out was always first or second week of April, but down here it's usually about the 20th of March, however "fishable" ice is about a week earlier than that.  What's even worse is my daughter's birthday is the 6th, which this year is a Saturday and probably the last chance I'd have to get on the ice, but I will spend it with her instead.  I told my daughter that she is more important to me than ice fishing, and it's true, but I'd rather do both! She'll go with me sometimes, but on her birthday she's got other things on her mind!

2/28/21 @ 1:12 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Well, at least you can usually walk around on the ice without slush and snow. This year might be different. But that’s one big plus that you have.

I’m hoping your ice holds on. When I lived there, there were a few years we could almost or actually fish through March if You headed to northern dodge county…But usually mid March was when it ended.  Racine County will go first. A week later Waukesha County. A bit later northern Dodge and Washington County…Sun is the worst. Warm temperatures not good either. Rain not as bad as people think. If it’s a cold rain, it has very little effect. Unfortunately I see a lot of sun in the next 10 days for all of us. The worst part is when the guy on the weather or people at work say what nice weather we’re having. But people who ice fish, understand the weather is awful!

2/27/21 @ 10:56 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

n. pike I've seen it happen too many times down here in southern Wisconsin!  I've been living down here for 22 years now - since college!  I miss living up north! It'll look like we're going to have an extended ice season then the end of February/Early March rolls around and it gets too warm! What makes it even worse is almost every year we'll get some pretty cold weather roll in right after St. Patrick's Day, where you can't fish gamefish, can't ice fish, and it's too cold to fish from shore! Living in Southern Wisconsin is depressing! I'd move north in a heartbeat if I didn't have a wife that can't stand the cold!

2/27/21 @ 10:33 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

What a horrible forecast ice wise. I Plan a day on the ice in southern Wisconsin mid March…Wonder if the ice will even hold up… Funny how It can go from lots of ice and bitter cold just a week ago to a really bad forecast this quick. Am I the only one worried about late ice this year? Up north, it should definitely last into April.  But, we don’t have a huge bass like some years. So it could be an early April exit. Lots can change though... Mid March could turn cold quickly. You just never know. But I don’t like the trend right now.

4/3/19 @ 11:36 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER SINCE 2/13/17

April is fun too. For Crypto

4/1/19 @ 11:25 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Got out over the weekend. Amazing fishing. So good to get out there. Still some time left up here too. Lots of ice yet.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 91 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.