MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 91 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/7/21 @ 10:02 PM
bring on the ice
USER SINCE 2/9/17

Definitely pumped. Fished the last hard water here in northern Illinois tonight. If I had time, I could probably find some place safe down here to fish tomorrow...or even the next day, but all bets are off when the rain hits in the middle of the week. I have time off planned for ice fishing northern Minnesota (or maybe northern Wisconsin) at the end of March. Not sure if the ice anywhere will survive to that time, though. If that happens, I'll go from pumped to bummed.

3/7/21 @ 3:25 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Good for you Jaybee! 

So where are you guys at in southern Wisconsin as far as ice now? If you have 14 inches, I would think that other than the shorelines -the base would still hold true at least a week. But, I know late  ice could be fickle.  I just remember many days in southern Wisconsin with my hip waiters wading out to the ice. Then once I was on the shelf, it was fine. Seems like it holds on a little longer than people expect if one really wants to get out there and Knows a safe way to do it.

3/7/21 @ 9:45 AM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Probably the last week of safe ice coming up in Waukesha county. Taking a week off work. Wife and daughter are going to Cabo. I'm going ice fishing. So that's where my priorities are, I guess 

3/7/21 @ 8:50 AM
LOJ
USER SINCE 10/28/17

I hear you skillz, I fished 12 hours yesterday. Plenty of ice out deep but the edges will be sketchy after this weeks warm weather.  I am going to try again next weekend but who knows after that. 

Good luck!

3/6/21 @ 5:19 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
USER SINCE 2/4/09

What a bittersweet morning,as this will be my last excursion on ice this season. Going out chasing slab crappies. For those who will still be in pursuit,good luck,stay safe and stay dry.

3/5/21 @ 10:05 AM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Regarding how to release the accidental pike, take this for what it's worth but I've been using pretty small trebles on all my tip ups the last few years and have yet to not catch in the corner of the mouth on every fish I've caught (not a lot, but more than a few). And those are the ones I need to remove the hook from. There have been a number that just pop out as it flops on the ice too.  I'm sure a lot of it depends on how quickly you get to the hole too, but I'm a believer in the small hooks. 

3/5/21 @ 8:22 AM
grizwald
grizwald
USER SINCE 2/6/09

Mine too!

3/3/21 @ 10:55 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Thanks for the report Jaybee! Glad you still have that much ice. Should be able to withstand the warm up for a little time yet. Glad you checked out that spot. Kind of a neat area. 

About ice fishing for bass with tip ups. Absolutely. But, in my opinion,-only if you know they are in the area and if you start catching pike, not bass, I'd personally put the tip ups away. But, are there areas that have a lot of bass this time of year? YES! Go for it. The more of us that do it, the more awareness is raised. Last year bass were open too, but hardly anyone knew and it felt like I was doing something illegal.

3/3/21 @ 10:17 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Thats how I see it.  Now the major issue I see is how do you release those accidental pike without injuring them. 

3/3/21 @ 8:06 PM
JMYERS
USER SINCE 11/5/06

so now that its catch and release bass year around you can still tip-up fish after game season is over?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 91 POSTS
Advertise here
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.