psycho
USER SINCE 1/21/02
just curious on who picks, what they pick

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 98 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/21/22 @ 11:39 AM
waffles2
USER SINCE 4/25/20

get a lot of these early in the summer. sporadicly through out the summer with plenty of oysters. few years ago i found loads of porcini in july/august.

7/7/22 @ 10:16 AM
JigRod
USER SINCE 11/16/01

Chanterelles don't grow on trees and are not honey mushrooms. Maybe you are thinking of Golden Oysters?

7/4/22 @ 9:01 AM
Sylvain Guy
MEMBER SINCE 7/6/01

Am picking Chantrelle's, which I believe are your honey mushrooms. Southern rock county on dead fallen elms. A little rain would help.

6/28/22 @ 12:31 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
USER SINCE 12/7/17

Thanks guys

Isn't it early for the chicken?

But what county are you in?         I haven't had the time to get out mite have to make it happen .

6/28/22 @ 11:18 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER SINCE 2/8/11

The elm log in my woods has been producing a ton of oyster mushrooms. Probably my favorite wild mushroom. 

6/27/22 @ 12:53 PM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

Anybody finding anything?

Been getting some chicken of the woods and oysters.

5/31/22 @ 5:23 PM
Outa line
USER SINCE 8/9/21

I found what I believe are parasol mushrooms. Any one familiar with them?

10/13/21 @ 2:02 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER SINCE 1/11/05

Thanks, LB

10/13/21 @ 12:34 PM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

I admit,  the top ones with the ruffles around the cap i've personally never seen.  However,  they do start to look odd as they get older but I never examine them,  they are really big,  I don't even look at them closely i just keep moving. I'd feel better if you noticed a veil around the stem as well.  The veil covers the gills when they are young and as it grows,  the veil is pulled down and sticks around the stem.  White gills,  veil ring,  white meat,  the top colors are consistent with and show patterns of a honey.  Please verify the stem ring of veil...or many call it fuss ring.  If you can verify the fuzz ring,  then read below.

Yes,  cut them,  look for holes in the stem,  those are little worms if they have holes.  I'll take them if there are 1 or 2 and not totally brown.  As they age,  there may be more worms.  I'd say 40% good yet with no holes at the stage those are.  Just because they have worms doesn't mean they are bad.   you can cut that stuff out when you clean em up.  (the worms actually look like micro wax worms).  I'm sure i've eaten several 100's over my life.  Once boiled....ahhh,  nothing to worry about.

Some you flip over will be good, others not so good,  so just use your judgement.  It seems like if you find them just off a tree trunk or growing on the root away from the tree,  they'll be more clean, meaning less buggy.  

When you get home,  fill up a bucket with water,  throw them in and swish around till all of the apparent dirt is gone.  Cut in half or quarters depending on size,  boil them for 10 minutes.  cool them off and freeze in ziplock or food saver bags.  

They will boil down to about 75% of what you have in a bucket.  Half a 5 gallon pail will make you about 12 full cups of mushrooms.

the caps of a honey are slimy when wet,  it's known as honey slime.  now with the rain,  the cap is gonna feel slimy,  no doubt.  When you soak them and wash them,  they'll feel slimy. that doesn't mean anything.  your most recent pic ,  some are perfectly fine to eat yet.  with in days though they'll be brown mush. 

10/13/21 @ 11:41 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER SINCE 1/11/05

So are they safe to eat then as long as they haven’t turned brown/nasty/slimy? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 98 POSTS
Advertise here
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.