INITIAL POST
psycho
User since 1/21/02
just curious on who picks, what they pick
Displaying 30 to 44 of 127 posts
7/21/22 @ 11:39 AM
waffles2
User since 4/25/20

get a lot of these early in the summer. sporadicly through out the summer with plenty of oysters. few years ago i found loads of porcini in july/august.

summer mushrooms..... who picks and what photo by waffles2
7/7/22 @ 10:16 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

Chanterelles don't grow on trees and are not honey mushrooms. Maybe you are thinking of Golden Oysters?

7/4/22 @ 9:01 AM
Sylvain Guy
PRO MEMBER User since 7/6/01

Am picking Chantrelle's, which I believe are your honey mushrooms. Southern rock county on dead fallen elms. A little rain would help.

6/28/22 @ 12:31 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Thanks guys

Isn't it early for the chicken?

But what county are you in?         I haven't had the time to get out mite have to make it happen .

6/28/22 @ 11:18 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

The elm log in my woods has been producing a ton of oyster mushrooms. Probably my favorite wild mushroom. 

summer mushrooms..... who picks and what photo by migr8r
6/27/22 @ 12:53 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Anybody finding anything?

Been getting some chicken of the woods and oysters.

5/31/22 @ 5:23 PM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

I found what I believe are parasol mushrooms. Any one familiar with them?

10/13/21 @ 2:02 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Thanks, LB

10/13/21 @ 12:34 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I admit,  the top ones with the ruffles around the cap i've personally never seen.  However,  they do start to look odd as they get older but I never examine them,  they are really big,  I don't even look at them closely i just keep moving. I'd feel better if you noticed a veil around the stem as well.  The veil covers the gills when they are young and as it grows,  the veil is pulled down and sticks around the stem.  White gills,  veil ring,  white meat,  the top colors are consistent with and show patterns of a honey.  Please verify the stem ring of veil...or many call it fuss ring.  If you can verify the fuzz ring,  then read below.

Yes,  cut them,  look for holes in the stem,  those are little worms if they have holes.  I'll take them if there are 1 or 2 and not totally brown.  As they age,  there may be more worms.  I'd say 40% good yet with no holes at the stage those are.  Just because they have worms doesn't mean they are bad.   you can cut that stuff out when you clean em up.  (the worms actually look like micro wax worms).  I'm sure i've eaten several 100's over my life.  Once boiled....ahhh,  nothing to worry about.

Some you flip over will be good, others not so good,  so just use your judgement.  It seems like if you find them just off a tree trunk or growing on the root away from the tree,  they'll be more clean, meaning less buggy.  

When you get home,  fill up a bucket with water,  throw them in and swish around till all of the apparent dirt is gone.  Cut in half or quarters depending on size,  boil them for 10 minutes.  cool them off and freeze in ziplock or food saver bags.  

They will boil down to about 75% of what you have in a bucket.  Half a 5 gallon pail will make you about 12 full cups of mushrooms.

the caps of a honey are slimy when wet,  it's known as honey slime.  now with the rain,  the cap is gonna feel slimy,  no doubt.  When you soak them and wash them,  they'll feel slimy. that doesn't mean anything.  your most recent pic ,  some are perfectly fine to eat yet.  with in days though they'll be brown mush. 

10/13/21 @ 11:41 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

So are they safe to eat then as long as they haven’t turned brown/nasty/slimy? 

10/13/21 @ 10:00 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Thanks for clearing it all up Jimmer.  Classic Honey...as you can also see,  honey's will lighten up a bit when more mature before they start turning brown.  

Fairly typical for this site though,  lots of talk,  not much walk.   I was waiting for a person that actually picks honey's to come here and say they agree with me...but they are probably being more productive than arguing with people that just like to flap their lips on subjects they don't know anything about.

10/12/21 @ 7:35 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

No worries, LB, I wouldn’t be offended if you singled me out on it. I’m a lifelong morel hunter and have always been interested in the summer/fall shrooms, unfortunately I just don’t have time at this point in my life to study up. I have to stick to the things I have built my schedule around. Because of that I don’t seek them out. These just happen to be growing on a dead white elm stump in our yard.

Here is an updated pic as they age for anyone interested. The caps are getting more concave as they get bigger. I appreciate the insights and discussion. 

Edit: for what it’s worth, I did pick a couple to look at. The gills are white underneath and they appear to be white throughout the body. 

10/12/21 @ 10:37 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

It's plain to see that some people won't research and put in the time.  Go to the woods,  pick them,  look at them,  go through the checklist.  I'm not singling out Jimmer,  i'm just saying in general.  Google searches are gospel,  i know.  lol. there are many many good folks out there on youtube if you look.  Pics from google doesn't mean anything.  I'm not saying to trust me,  trust the checklist for honey mushrooms,  know the difference between jacks and honeys. 

LOFY,  you must be color blind cause Jimmers pics aren't like what you googled.  Yellow is not orange,  just saying.

10/12/21 @ 9:31 AM
LoftyDog
LoftyDog
User since 12/5/10

Google images search

10/12/21 @ 9:26 AM
LoftyDog
LoftyDog
User since 12/5/10

Jimmer, 

AliveNWell is right, those are Jackolanterns.  

Long Barrel is nuts!  Why would you risk days of gut busting cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea?  

Displaying 30 to 44 of 127 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE