Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Morell Mushrooms

3/10/04 @ 12:02 PM
ORIGNAL POST
spoolingaround
User since 3/14/02
I thought that I would start this as a where and when topic. I really don't want to know exact locations. But county, day, month, type of area found such as hard woods, an old elm, etc. Also Strains would be helpful. Many people such as my self would like an idea as to of where and when to start looking. I personally have had very little success and would like to learn more. Thank You for any assistance.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,053 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/3/19 @ 2:36 PM
Stitzo
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01
Just got home from picking these this morn. Fond du Lac county. 

5/27/19 @ 7:54 PM
Stitzo
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

The pic of these are in the morchella classification. (Conica etc.

I refer to them as “lesser morels”. Totally edible without any known side effects or gastro conflicts that I’m aware of..

My experience in cooking them is to either sauté the daylights out of them or sauté the daylights out if them.  Very high water content even if you pick them when they “snap” like a green bean.

Leave them in the woods if the stem is soft  They off-put a decaying ammonia smell when the stems aren’t right.  

Fold them into an egg skillet.    Good mushroom texture is about as much as you can expect. They absorb herbs & spices very nicely

5/27/19 @ 12:12 PM
Stitzo
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

In most cases that I’ve found, dead elms that are down to no bark are a case of “should’ve been here last year or the year before”.

They  are @ the chainsaw dulling firewood stage. Dang morels sucked the life out of their last breaths. So many variables change a morel woods from year-to-year. Moisture/temp soil acidity vs alkali. Growth stage of young trees coming up. 

Don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for a “blow-down-tree”....check it’s stump base & also out to what you figure the overall branch canopy would have been. An elm pretty much won’t anchor it’s feet less than it’s head & shoulders width. 

Pretty much like an offensive lineman if that helps at all. 

5/27/19 @ 10:58 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Wanna shoot me the coordinates to the ones you left behind? Haha...

I've been out looking about a half dozen times now in Dunn and Eau Claire counties with no luck. I've never found one or even tried one so I had a co-worker buy me some at the farmers market this weekend. Tonight's the night for my first taste! Been finding plenty of dead elms both standing and lying but just haven't had any luck. One of these years my morell mushroom cherry will pop.

5/26/19 @ 7:05 AM
Western Extreme
User since 12/17/17

Picked these in Pepin county. Left twice as much behind for other people to find and pick. 

5/24/19 @ 9:39 PM
Stitzo
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01
Errrrrr....The Jimmer. My bad. 

5/24/19 @ 9:38 PM
Stitzo
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01
Oh my Jimmy...them’s is some dandy toads, heh, heh. 

5/24/19 @ 8:58 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Still gettin em here. SW WI

5/24/19 @ 9:30 AM
Stitzo
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

These from Calumet cnty on Weds. Just spent over 15 mins composing a more detailed report that dumped. Grrrr.

Anyway, maybe don’t give up just yet. Outdoor pursuits seem to be 2-3 weeks behind. It was the first day I’ve had where the mugginess in the woods felt right. Still no mosquitos. 

5/24/19 @ 9:20 AM
Stitzo
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

Finally found a decent mess-0-shrooms with my dad on Weds aft. Calumet cnty. First time the woods felt “right” to me all month. As in some mugginess. Still none of Wisconsin’s state bird (mosquito) trying to suck the life out of us. 

Mostly grays/browns with a couple of the usually later season more delicately ribbed yellows. Also left a bunch of the ones we’ve always  called “peckerheads”. Some folks may believe these to be false morels but they’re not. Just not as meaty. They are classified as morchellas, but are not considered “true morels”. 

A good book (yes, a real book, heh, heh) to have is Simon & Schuster’s “Guide to Mushrooms”. A lot of places I cruise the timber has little to no cell reception for web access. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,053 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.