SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Morell Mushrooms

3/10/04 @ 12:02 PM
INITIAL POST
spoolingaround
User since 3/14/02
I thought that I would start this as a where and when topic. I really don't want to know exact locations. But county, day, month, type of area found such as hard woods, an old elm, etc. Also Strains would be helpful. Many people such as my self would like an idea as to of where and when to start looking. I personally have had very little success and would like to learn more. Thank You for any assistance.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 2,142 posts
5/21/20 @ 4:03 PM
zones4
zones4
User since 6/18/01

Ducks just give it a two or three  days...SE Wisconsin ground just is not up to the temp for them to pop. I should take a ground temp when they do to get better idea for next year.

Again once that temps hit...boom...then once it pass and keeps going up...boom is done. 

Our Corn are emerging now in all the fields though since that is planted at 2 inches in a open sun field I cannot equate it to the morell growing. 

Field temp today in the sun, 59 degrees 1 inch down :)

5/20/20 @ 9:36 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Your not alone ducks. Looked for a bit today in SE wis, and came up empty. It's been a really cold spring, but are we this far behind? Will give it another try in a few days. 

5/20/20 @ 12:59 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Went to a spot today in northern ozaukee county loaded with elm and apple trees not a single morel. I spent all morning looking at every tree i found. What am i doing wrong?

Morell Mushrooms  photo by ducks forever
5/19/20 @ 11:09 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Yesterday morning it was bird first, shrooms after. Been a slow and tough year for picking, so way behind where we would normally be here in pounds harvested. I don’t expect to get a lot more based on what I’ve seen.  As for yesterday, 24 lbs of turkey, 6 lbs of shrooms. I hope to get out a few more times for morels. No more turkeys. 

Morell Mushrooms  photo by the Jimmer
5/19/20 @ 9:53 PM
Tito39
User since 7/6/04

Found a couple after turkey hunting this afternoon. Hope to find a few more in the coming days.

Morell Mushrooms  photo by Tito39
5/19/20 @ 7:07 PM
Deadbucksdontlie
User since 1/10/19

On my way home this PM stopped by an area that was controlled burned last year....first rotten apple tree I looked by had some...found 25 nice ones in short order by 4 trees,hardly any halfs....that rain made all the difference in southern wi. Good luck...

Morell Mushrooms  photo by Deadbucksdontlie
5/19/20 @ 1:20 PM
r&j
User since 7/30/07

This is already a bit late but lilac time and apple blossom time. Lone Rock and about

all of the counties of SW Wisconsin. U P and Rock Island Wi. off Washington Island.

It has been years ago but try these as well, old unattended orchards. Watch the tall grasses as the tend to hide. A fresh warm rain helps a lot. State parks but watch for Ticks.

Warning, get permission to trespass. Property owners have no mercy when it comes to morels.

5/19/20 @ 7:15 AM
Deadbucksdontlie
User since 1/10/19

Strange season indeed.  Usually first week of may is my best week in southern Wisconsin.  We have found many halfs the last two weeks and the woods certainly felt too dry...finally found some small true morels midweek, then, after the heavy rain in a spot I checked sat...Monday found these....much easier to spot the yellows compared to the little guys.... I expect lots this week.....good luck and spray for ticks 

Morell Mushrooms  photo by Deadbucksdontlie
5/18/20 @ 1:10 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Wife found 8 on Saturday,  weird year with the cold weather. Hopefully more this week with the heat.

Morell Mushrooms  photo by Pool8
5/15/20 @ 12:01 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Picked 10 this morning before work in NE part of the state. A mix of blacks and greys. Will be back at tonight and tomorrow afternoon.

5/15/20 @ 8:02 AM
hunt2labs
hunt2labs
User since 4/9/03

Checked WI River bottoms near Mazomanie...nada...should've found a few at least....still too early? 

Used tick spray on clothing. Did not pick up a single one.

Pants tucked into rubber boots as well...need to get a pair of knee highs for summer....1000grams of insolation was a bit much.

5/14/20 @ 7:14 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Couldnt wait till tomorrow so went out for a couple hours after the rain. Checked an area loaded with elms from living to on the ground checked every elm and apple i could find from next to a swamp to up on ridges. Nothing to show for it but scratches and a bunch of ticks. 

5/14/20 @ 12:15 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

According to my mycology contact, pheasant backs are in full go mode in NE WI. Might still be a bit early for morels but it should be soon.

5/14/20 @ 11:51 AM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Ill be out checking again tomorrow northern Washington  southern Sheboygan and fond du lac countys. Hopefully this rain will make them pop.

5/14/20 @ 7:33 AM
hunt2labs
hunt2labs
User since 4/9/03

Checked ridge tops and bottoms near Dodgeville yesterday...nothing popping yet in some great looking spots. Last nights rain with this warm up should get them going.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 2,142 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE