SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Morell Mushrooms

3/10/04 @ 12:02 PM
INITIAL POST
spoolingaround
User since 3/14/02
I thought that I would start this as a where and when topic. I really don't want to know exact locations. But county, day, month, type of area found such as hard woods, an old elm, etc. Also Strains would be helpful. Many people such as my self would like an idea as to of where and when to start looking. I personally have had very little success and would like to learn more. Thank You for any assistance.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 2,142 posts
5/7/22 @ 7:40 AM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

I just wait until my brother starts finding them south of Dubuque, then I know it's a week before they will be popping around my place here in Wisconsin. I'm guessing at least another week to ten days.

5/6/22 @ 12:44 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

I think a smidge too early yet. I've been looking tho. Been little cool yet at night.  

Next week with highs in the 80's. Warmer night lows. Should be game on. Agree, we definitely have had the moisture.

Did see some asparagus on the rise today.

5/6/22 @ 8:35 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Anyone found any yet? I have to think there are some out now and next week will be a ton of them. No shortage of rain this spring, so with some warmth, it should be really good. 

5/31/21 @ 3:59 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Walked the woods for over 3 hours today. Dead elms, oaks and hickories produced no morels. No evidence that they’ve popped yet. This evening’s rain could bring them up. Will try again later this week. We did find a pile of pheasant backs. They don’t call them “the morel hunter’s consolation prize” for nothing. 

Morell Mushrooms  photo by BugleTrout
Morell Mushrooms  photo by BugleTrout
5/20/21 @ 2:06 PM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

Depends on your area split shot. Ground warmth and moisture are totally key. Those look like later yellows, yes. 

Dad & I went Mon & Tues. We don’t road hunt easy trees. We don’t walk trails expecting a bounty. I’m super happy for you folks that it works for! 

We hunted Cal & North Fondy counties on Mon & Tues. Lots of timber cruising on foot. Just too dang dry no matter what elevation or slope we went to. Found plenty of prime trees. Nothing  

Ground cover didn’t look right anywhere. No half-frees to be found  

The biggest take prolly for me was that even though I sweated and got some serious prickly ash badges…it wasn’t the right humidity. I didn’t soak thru two shirts while I wore them. And never had the first skeeter. Awwwww, crap.

Gotta go back I guess  

Ended up with one small yellow. Never had a morel cleaning session so easy  

Good hunting folks!!!

5/19/21 @ 8:58 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I have had a terrible year so far. First time out which I thought was to early yielded about 30-40 nice greys.. ever since then its been terrible and I'm hesitant to waste anymore time this year

5/19/21 @ 6:08 PM
split shot
split shot
User since 6/19/01

I'm no Mycologist, but don't these guys appear at the end of the season?

Morell Mushrooms  photo by split shot
5/16/21 @ 8:37 PM
GreenSand
User since 1/4/08

Gotta love the month of may and having a home in the country.  I get 1 crop of morels a season in my yard.  This year had roasted boneless leg of lamb.  No elm trees in my yard.  Just pine trees.

Morell Mushrooms  photo by GreenSand
5/9/21 @ 3:07 PM
waffles2
User since 4/25/20

yellows are coming in. could use a little rain. found two nice little patches around dead elms.

Morell Mushrooms  photo by waffles2
5/7/21 @ 6:39 PM
waffles2
User since 4/25/20

mostly half frees one yellow

5/7/21 @ 8:07 AM
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Anyone found any in adams county? If yes, what type of area? I have been checking streams and pines but no luck yet.

5/6/21 @ 8:32 PM
rufflefeather
PRO MEMBER User since 10/23/20

Is it ok to talk about weather manipulation here ? 

5/6/21 @ 2:32 PM
waffles2
User since 4/25/20

fox valley area. starting but still dry. hard to find elms so i usually gind them around oaks and ash. loamy soil. saw earlier someone posting some very questionable golden oyster. they are in southwest wisconsin. found last year.

5/4/21 @ 10:17 PM
b-nob
User since 2/27/09

checked my go to today, we need another 2 more rainstorms,  still dry as a popcorn fart in south wisco

5/4/21 @ 11:19 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

We hadn't really had any rain here either in Northern Illinois until yesterday and today.  I looked around for about 30 minutes on saturday and didn't find anything.  I'll go out again this saturday and with the recent rain I am confident I'll find some.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 2,142 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE