SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Cougar Sightings??

6/22/13 @ 11:13 AM
INITIAL POST
Bob P.
User since 8/8/07
A work acquaintance of mine was returning from a Canadian fishing trip about a week and half ago. Some where in the vicinity of Minong or so along highway 53 he says he saw what he swears was a cougar. This guy doesn't seem prone to just making up tales, allegedly had his two teenaged grandsons along as witness. Anyone here have or hear of anything verifying stories like this?? Kind of cool, yet a bit unnerving if you walk northern streams as i occasionally do alone. So, what say ye? Thanks, bob p.
Displaying 30 to 44 of 104 posts
7/22/15 @ 7:40 PM
icehouse n eyes
icehouse n eyes
User since 7/1/12
robbolio. no. your fine. some like to rattle cages. i also think this is a cougar. and an adult one.
7/22/15 @ 7:10 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
For possible size reference... The guy interviewed by fox 6 was standing by his bushes were it was filmed. The bushes are up to about his belly button. The big kitty was about half the size. Probably mid thigh. I do agree its gots some big shoulders. Hopefully they find the thing! Because Im interested. I really don't give a s#$* if its an African lion or a mountain lion. I just think its a couger. Was this opinionated post offensive to anybody?
7/22/15 @ 5:38 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Yes mountain lions are much smaller than a full grown African lion but African lions are not always full grown, they have to grow up LOL. Seriously though the video is so poor you can't tell what it is, it could be a yellow lab from the video. One thing that does not look like a mountain lion is the shoulders, they look much more African lion. Plus theres really nothing to reference the actual size of the animal.
7/22/15 @ 5:18 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
My comments are an opinion just as yours are. But you're quick to respond when someone doesn't go along with what you say... stop being a bully.
7/22/15 @ 5:10 PM
whatup
User since 12/9/01
"I also just saw the video. Couger, mountain lion... Im not sure how you can possibly think its a legitimate African lion. You do realize they are like 4 times bigger then a couger don't you?" Sounds like your the one who won't let other's have an opinion! I am merely reporting things said by experts. You must be one of those too?
7/22/15 @ 4:58 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
We apparently aren't entitled to our opinions because that makes us bullys... its whatup's world, we just live in. I see the video and I see a mountain lion. Unless its proved otherwise that is what I believe. I don't apologize for logic, reasoning, and my honest opinion.
7/22/15 @ 3:52 PM
whatup
User since 12/9/01
Lakeshiner, The article says "Mountain lion sightings have occurred in Milwaukee as recently as two years ago." That does not say its probably a mountain lion, it is merely a statement that they have been sighted. I know people who were there when the dnr looked at the video. This is more first hand knowledge than anyone here has. I was simply making a comment about the "lion" in the news. Then people who know nothing about the situation but what they see on tv like to chime in as all knowing. The news is not always correct in reporting.
7/22/15 @ 2:46 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
It sure looks like a mountain lion in that video. My only problem with the video is the overall quality. Why are all of these unconfirmed sightings of strange sights always extremely grainy. That phone she was holding up is a solid phone and should have been able to take a way better video than that. She might have had it zoomed in too much, or it's fake? They did shoot that mountain lion in Chicago a few years ago so anything is possible.
7/22/15 @ 12:16 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Whatup, very well stated. I feel the same way.
7/22/15 @ 11:13 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
This article is local and says its most likely a mountain lion. It has the real cell phone video and at the end it also references the fake video. http://www.wisn.com/news/lion-report-on-milwaukees-north-side-turns-up-empty-search/34271488
7/22/15 @ 9:22 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Ok...
7/22/15 @ 9:08 AM
whatup
User since 12/9/01
If you are insinuating I think I'm a biologist you are sadly mistaken. I said a dnr warden responded to look at the original video on the original phone, and they said it was a lion not a mountain lion or cougar or whatever name game you want to play. I can bet a paycheck they can identify animals slightly better than you. And it isnt all that difficult to buy exotic animals on the internet. Try Google some time. I'm sure you will have another great response. You a few others are bullies on this site and always have to be right about everything! It gets old and many people are sick of it.
7/22/15 @ 9:02 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Whats the difference between a panther and a cougar? I still believe that 99% of the cougar "sightings" are a case of mistaken identity.
7/22/15 @ 8:22 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I saw the video on the news. Very grainy. At first I thought it could be a sandy labrador. But I had to admit that the head, even through the pixeling, looked feline. Then there were the eyewitness reports. Lion. I took that to mean mountain lion/cougar. People claimed to have seen it climb trees. Kindda rules out my labrador theory... Smile I saw one (mountain lion) out in Oconomowoc when I was living out there. Magnificent animal to see. It came out on garbage day. Called the DNR, told them about it, and they weren't surprised. They had heard that there was "a den" in the area. My guess would be that this one in Milwaukee was a domestic pet that got loose. There is a big cat sanctuary in Sharon, WI and I hope this critter ends up having a nice life there.
7/22/15 @ 7:53 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
And by a grainy phone video you are now a biologist... The only person that said it was a 'lion' was the person that saw it. My guess is they see a big kitty they immediately just say 'lion'... most people don't even know that a couger and mountain lion are the same exact thing. Its a heck of lot more likely its isn't an 'African' lion and is actually a couger.
Displaying 30 to 44 of 104 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE