SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Cougar Sightings??

6/22/13 @ 11:13 AM
INITIAL POST
Bob P.
User since 8/8/07
A work acquaintance of mine was returning from a Canadian fishing trip about a week and half ago. Some where in the vicinity of Minong or so along highway 53 he says he saw what he swears was a cougar. This guy doesn't seem prone to just making up tales, allegedly had his two teenaged grandsons along as witness. Anyone here have or hear of anything verifying stories like this?? Kind of cool, yet a bit unnerving if you walk northern streams as i occasionally do alone. So, what say ye? Thanks, bob p.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 104 posts
5/31/17 @ 4:06 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I wouldn't say there is no chance it's a cougar but that the chances are very slim.  My uncle lives up near Hixton and knows basically all the Amish and farmers in the area and he hasn't heard of cougars in the area.  The reason I say there is a slight chance is because there have been confirmed sightings in Wisconsin and they did kill one in Chicago a few years ago, but the true confirmations are very rare.

5/30/17 @ 8:24 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
I dont call anyone a liar unless I am right in their face.  However, I thought you would get the hint. I hear so many people  say, " I saw a mountain lion. "  The truth is 99.99% of them didn't see a mountain lion.  I hear so many people say, " A friend, a buddy, a buddies ex wives sister in laws grandpa saw one  AND THIS GUY IS THE REAL DEAL", . When in truth they didn't see anything but a bobcat , or a something else. There is a pic on this thread asking what we think it is ( in a cougar sightings??) thread when it is nothing but a big fat house cat.  All kinds of bobcats , sure , but the chance of seeing a mountain lion is WIs. is slim to none. There are most likely 10 mountain lions in WIs. and most likely all were let go by some ding bat that didn't want it anymore. I see threads of " coyote or wolf" that is so clearly a coyote it aint  funny.  I bet there are 100,000 trail cams all over Wisconsin and there is most  likely not one that clearly shows a mountain lion. If one says it is a mountain lion, there is a very good chance it is from out of state or a hoax.  Actually , I know a woman that says she seen one on the dirt road near my cabin. One look at this woman and you will see why I dismissed it . Her cousin said later on , if anything, she seen the gray fox running around. Also, lets see the trail cam pic. Where is it? When ya got animal running , at night with a 1/60 sec. flash with a camera so cheap it is grainy on the daytime, a night pic of something running can look like anything at all. 
5/29/17 @ 11:24 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

So are you calling me a liar? 

Big Mac 

5/29/17 @ 9:24 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

This thread is a hoot.  Ya there are cougars in Wisconsin. I know cause my second cousins best friends grampas wife saw one run across the dirt road one rainy night in April of 1996 down by Haymeadow valley just before the bend. . .. but couldn't get the Kodak 110 instamatic out of her purse. Otherwise she would have had a picture to prove it.

5/28/17 @ 1:40 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

How many cougar sightings in Jackson & Clark Countys? I've talked with a few people,  that I trust, & they have seen cougars around Hatfield/Black River Falls area.

I just retrieved my SD cards, from my trail camera. And it sure looks like a cougar! The "cougar" picture was at night & just barely in the flash. But the "cougar " was low to the ground,  long, & a long thick tail. 

Not a good enough picture to post. Showing it to the landowner tomorrow. She has heard of other people seeing cougars in the same areas.

Big Mac 

7/13/16 @ 6:46 PM
Sweet Corn
User since 12/14/03

I would agree with house cat. Look at the length of the jack compared to the cat

7/12/16 @ 2:39 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Looks way too small to be a cougar and the tail is way too short compared to the body.  Looks like a house cat jumping off the edge of the trailer onto the ground.

7/12/16 @ 12:44 PM
WEASER
User since 7/12/16

Here we go.  This picture was taken in Taylor County.  Seems there is never a clear pictures of a cougar.  They are always a guess between house cat, deer or other animal.  Any ideas here.

1/4/16 @ 11:30 AM
STEVE L
STEVE L
User since 4/19/02
An acquaintance (neighbor)of mine has a good sized lion on a trail cam- I saw the pic. Central WI south of Marshfield east of BRF
7/23/15 @ 10:01 PM
7/23/15 @ 9:19 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
No problem. I remember my grandparents neighbor when I was around 8 or so had a pair of caracals. 13th and college area in Milwaukee over 20 years ago. They had crazy pointy ears. I remember being scared looking at them behind an 8 foot wooden fence. Just had them on leashes laying in the yard like dogs. They were some odd people...
7/23/15 @ 8:23 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Thanks for posting the link, Robb. I watched Fox 6 last night and caught the "tail" end of the report. Pun intended. In my prior post I talked about that big cat sanctuary south of Milwaukee. That is Valley of the Kings, in Sharon, and the woman interviewed is the owner. As my opinion, I think she is spot on. It was/is someone's pet and it got out. Hopefully it is home now. If not, I liked that she offered to give it a home. I love the work that they do out there and I'm trying to raise some money here at work to sponsor a big cat in her sanctuary. If you are interested in knowing more about Valley of the Kings, here is their website. http://www.votk.org/
7/22/15 @ 9:45 PM
7/22/15 @ 8:41 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
whatup - I used my intuition while reading the article. When they said it might have moved south following deer I assumed they did not mean its normal for African lions to follow deer around in WI. Now that does not mean they are right, but that is what you should at least take from the article as what Flynn thinks it might be. I also find that random guys on the internet are not always right on their stories either. People on here are just speculating as to what would be the most likely scenario. Its not bullying just because someone disagrees with you or questions you. Its called a debate.
7/22/15 @ 7:40 PM
icehouse n eyes
icehouse n eyes
User since 7/1/12
robbolio. no. your fine. some like to rattle cages. i also think this is a cougar. and an adult one.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 104 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE