LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Have you ever lost your enthusiasm for fishing?

6/28/19 @ 5:36 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

It's weird. In my 20s, I'd fish anytime I could. Multiple days in a row. Middle of a hot summer day....freezing cold fall weather....Never got tired of it. Now, in my 40s, I still enjoy fishing, but I can go weeks without fishing and it's not a big deal. I'm not depressed. I just enjoy other things in life at this stage. I still love to ice fish as much as I can. But, being in the boat in the summertime or casting along a river just doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to. Anyone else experience this? Does the appeal to fish come back? Kind of never thought I'd get to this point and I'm actually totally ok with it. 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 79 posts
8/31/19 @ 8:56 AM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

I don't fish a long now 10 to 11 hour days instead of 12 hour days.

8/29/19 @ 1:49 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

No I haven't ,I don't fish as long most days now.

lost my enthusiasm for work though so I retired.

I fish any day I want now. I don't fish weekends any more.

Um....Don’t let him kid you. If you see his Alumacraft on the same lake for two day’s, he probably still there from yesterday. LOL

8/29/19 @ 12:59 PM
skeek
User since 2/26/09

Nothing that losing a 30 lb striper at the boat because I failed to set the hook won't cure!

8/29/19 @ 10:04 AM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

It seems like only yesterday  a friend and I would fish a lake like Delavan from sun-up to sun-down, with maybe a cocktail break at the Inn Between around lunch time. 

Last week, that same friend and I wrapped up our outing at 11am because the fishing was slow and the sun was roasting us bad.

That never stopped us in the past. It's all good though, the both of us are just getting older is all...

8/29/19 @ 9:27 AM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

No I haven't ,I don't fish as long most days now.

I lost my enthusiasm for work though so I retired.

I fish any day I want now. I don't fish weekends any more.

8/29/19 @ 2:04 AM
Cardiograph
User since 8/23/19

No, my love for fishing didn't die and I still love fishing.

7/30/19 @ 1:38 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I never had much patience for fishing in my youth. Dragged along by friends, I was never more bored in my life. Now I'm a dedicated weekend warrior taking turns in the boat with my fishing bud P.K. Winter ice fishing is the same fun drill. I can't imagine what it would be like to try and go pro like Ulbian did. It would take a lot of the fun out of it for sure. I get the same thrill catching a nice walleye in a river from shore as trolling in a boat, so I feel sorry for those who are boat deprived or have given up fishing for that reason. I can still get my fix hitting the rivers or docks close to home when weather or commitments makes it tough. I've done long multiple shifts fishing but find a "Gilligan's 3 hour cruise" just as nice if the fish are biting. I think my enthusiasm is still on the up swing. Maybe fishing lake Michigan the next months will slap me down a bit. Can't wait.

7/9/19 @ 11:41 AM
Bigsv
User since 2/18/08

I recently came back after about 10 years of not fishing at all. I totally lost interest for a couple of reasons depression was one of the biggest reasons. Finally got the itch after having some TMS treatments this past spring. I have been fishing like a mad man since April. I’m now thinking about getting my boat out of mothballs. 

7/6/19 @ 2:18 PM
fishinerman
fishinerman
User since 6/1/02

I'm with JB.  Hate holidays and all the lake commotion it brings.  I get asked all the time if I am or did fish opening day.  Nope.  Its like New Years Eve, way too many chuckleheads out there and the launches are a nightmare.  An exception would be Winnebago.  I have lost enthusiasm over the years for some things.  I used to fish musky a lot but now maybe once a year.  Its a lot of work for the payoff.  You have to have the right partner as well.  I am also kind of a wuss on weather.  East wind and cold front?  Pass.  Really windy? Pass.  As I have gotten older I prefer fishing panfish, especially with kids or newbies.  Its fun and I love watching others catch fish with me.

Nuff said.

7/5/19 @ 10:16 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I hate fishing lakes on holidays. For many years now, I just party with friends and family, or if I do fish,  it's on a small river in a kayak or wading up a remote trout stream

7/4/19 @ 11:36 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
I know for sure my enthusiasm for fishing ANY holiday weekend anymore is non existent, at least on the lakes I fish. My neighbor had his pontoon out today and told me tonight, "wasnt that bad out there, you should have fished today." I replied to him, I have no wife, family, or real responsibilities other than mundane everyday stuff, and with my work schedule I can fish every afternoon and any weekend I want, why the hell would I want to put my boat in the water today and put myself through that?
7/4/19 @ 10:38 PM
hoytpower
User since 7/21/05

When I was young I fished every chance I could. Never had a boat in our family. I never really lost it. I guess late teens to early 20's I didn't look as hard for opportunities but now that I'm older and have my own boat. I try to make sure my kids or  anyone with me catches fish more than I worry about catching fish myself. I still have a hard time being at work when I know a good bite is going on so I guess I never really lost it.

7/4/19 @ 9:46 PM
CHARIPAR BROS.
CHARIPAR BROS.
User since 6/16/08

I have never lost my enthusiasm to fish. Some things do affect it though. Change in work hours. Fishing the Mississippi when it's not flooded after every rainfall, including what comes from Up North. That's when I go "back home" up North and fish lakes. The weather-not a fan of hot and humid. I love ice fishing; when the river has questionabe ice conditions I go North where thickness is more consistent.

I guess having options keeps me interested and motivated.

7/4/19 @ 6:28 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

It has never crossed my mind.  When fishing is slow, hot, freezing cold, o wind, thunderstorms, and anything else bad,  I always think to myself that I could be working!!!

7/3/19 @ 1:30 PM
Bug zapper 2
User since 10/7/18

I love soft water fishing since 4 years old.I also have always loved ice fishing but the older I get ice fishing doesn’t do it for this 60ish body anymore.Enthuiasim has really waned for hard water.Many friends my age feel the same way.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 79 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE