LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Have you ever lost your enthusiasm for fishing?

6/28/19 @ 5:36 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

It's weird. In my 20s, I'd fish anytime I could. Multiple days in a row. Middle of a hot summer day....freezing cold fall weather....Never got tired of it. Now, in my 40s, I still enjoy fishing, but I can go weeks without fishing and it's not a big deal. I'm not depressed. I just enjoy other things in life at this stage. I still love to ice fish as much as I can. But, being in the boat in the summertime or casting along a river just doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to. Anyone else experience this? Does the appeal to fish come back? Kind of never thought I'd get to this point and I'm actually totally ok with it. 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 79 posts
1/3/20 @ 11:55 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Haven't lost enthusiasm for fishing I have lost enthusiasm for what goes with it today. I would rather sit in a quiet spot and not catch much than fight with other boats and crazy landings. I have  bought a cottage on a small private lake and keep my boat in the water. My enthusiasm has really increased now that the hassle has been removed. My wife and kids fish with me and I love it. I grew up fishing a lot  most of the places I fished are now packed and I encountered a lot of not very nice people. I think that is why I keep my passion for hunting. It is peaceful. Fishing was becoming a rat race.

1/3/20 @ 4:16 AM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06

I don't know that I have ever gotten bored or tired of fishing. I have gotten bored with fishing the same techniques or same bodies of water. I've since decided to up my game. I rarely run into a situation where I can't catch fish. I've now changed my game plan to looking for the biggest fish a body of water has to offer. It's forcing me to try new things and get out of my comfort zone. Maybe I'm not catching the numbers I used to but the quality of fish has most definitely gotten better. 

I urge you guys that are starting to lose interest to try something new. A new technique, new lake or river, or maybe a new species altogether. It seems there is a decrease in people and kids getting into the sport. As much as I like my "secret" fishing spots, you'll also find me grinning ear to ear when I see a father and son a family sitting in "my spot" and having the time of their lives. I started guiding to help keep things interesting and teach people how to enjoy the greatest sport in the world. I'll give information to just about anyone who truly wants to learn. I watched and listened to my grandfather give info to people he didn't even know for years. Guess what, those spots are still producing the same quality fish they have been for 40 years. 

Here are a couple photos from last summer on GB. I had never fished this spot before and the technique used to catch these fish was something I wasn't very familiar with. I went out of my comfort zone, on a new lake, fishing a way that was foreign to me and it worked! That's what keeps me interested!

Tight lines! 

Walleyeguy007

11/9/19 @ 7:00 PM
Crappie Cat
User since 11/9/19

Have I lost my fishing enthusiasm, No but at near 70 I don't get as serious about it. When I get tired I quit maybe 4 or 5 hours in the boat or 3 or 4 in the Kayak. I went a lot of years without fishing at all after having been raised in a fishing family. We sold fish bait for a living along side a small farm]. The biggest problem I see with the enthusiasm is have someone experienced about your age to fish with, share the ride and the excitement of a new fishing location and learn something new from. I at times wonder when will I make my last cast, then I say not now, Not yet. I will fish until the last worm is soaked. 

11/9/19 @ 11:25 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

All the best CRSTLNR1750 - I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. 

There is a similar thread on bow hunting on the campfire thread. 

I've lost some interest in hunting, but fishing is still my biggest passion outside of my family.  

Something about being on the water - everything seems right with the world.  

11/8/19 @ 9:21 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Never, I'm out every chance I get, I have my two favorite lakes so that's where you'll find me. Generally fish alone because no one fits my time schedule, early mornings. Fish multi species or whatever bites. Keep a few for the table, but catch and release on good days if one comes along. Getting a little long in the tooth, don't know how many more years I'll be able to keep up my fishing routine, but when my days are done, my ashes will be sprinkled on the lake, don't care if the DNR likes it or not.

11/8/19 @ 11:39 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I won't say I've lost my enthusiasm for it, but it is dejecting when I try to get the wife and daughter to go with me and they either begrudgingly go or tell me no as if it's the worst thing in the world.  I have a couple buddies from here I fish with when I can, but wind up going alone more often than not, and that gets to be a chore dealing with the boat on your own. I spent more time shore fishing last year. I keep waiting for that one magical day when the fish are going crazy and they're able to experience a truly FUN outing and hopefully catch the bug, but until then I'll continue to get depressed when I see a family out on their boat fishing and enjoying themselves.  

11/8/19 @ 8:53 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Having fished in Alaska twice, Canada 4X and various trips the Pacific NW, I have pretty much lost all enthusiasm for fishing in Wisconsin.  I guess there are a few lakes up north that are good for a meal or two of crappies in spring so there's that. 

11/7/19 @ 8:25 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Not so far but I find that my hours per day have been getting shorter and shorter.  2 hrs a day max this time of year. I blame the weather but know differently. Part of this is boredom as I fish quite often . It’s different when I fish LM as I could fish all day. The same with Bago.  I have to admit that the weather dictates if I fish or not.    Age will do that to you but don’t stop! CARPIO 

11/7/19 @ 1:29 PM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

No

11/7/19 @ 12:39 PM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

CRST 1750

Man that’s a load to handle. Prayers for a full and complete recovery. 

11/7/19 @ 12:11 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

I feel ya!    eat, slept and breathed lk mi fishing salmon and trout, steelheading in spring salmon in fall winter brown fishing etc, ice fishing 3 or more days a week, Im 38 now and I can say Ive lost some of that intrest and gusto, Idk why, I still love summer days on the big pond, but Id much rather be sitting on a pond getting some gills.Im just not that worried about it anymore and it sounds bad Im really not much into going to check or scout it out anymore, if a buddy tells me they are slaying them ill go.

Albeit I will still get up at 4am to break through ice and muck to get a mallard duck, but I could careless if the walleyes are hammerin on the river, I guess attitudes change with time and there is always to much to do in a weekend nowadays.

11/7/19 @ 11:16 AM
CRSTLNR1750
CRSTLNR1750
User since 4/25/06

Absolutely I have!  Diagnosed with prostrate cancer and Lymphoma spring of this year, surgery in June, still recovering from chemo.  Only fished twice since surgery.  My better half knows there is something wrong with me as I told her I was ready to sell the boat and fishing gear.  I have been fishing all my life, and have NEVER been without a boat.  Now, I could care less about it.  Hoping this is just a temporary thing, just have to see how the winter goes.

8/31/19 @ 7:55 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

You need to get your priorities straight,  N.pike.  Fishing at least once a week for good mental health, bro!

8/31/19 @ 12:22 PM
PJ1
User since 5/11/10

Everytimg I go fishing on the week-end.

8/31/19 @ 10:14 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

So excited for the ice to come! But, haven't been in the boat for about a month and not missing it too much. Hope to get out a few times in the fall on a nice crisp day or two. I bet when I'm retired I'll get out quite a bit more. Just too many other things to occupy me now. Some really exciting non-fishing things. Some just the role one plays in life and work.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 79 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE