SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 1:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Paladin
User since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Displaying 70 to 79 of 8,508 posts
4/11/24 @ 1:03 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Switch to heirloom and you won't have to worry about price of seeds   I'm thinking about getting into selling seeds on ebay with how much they cost. One heirloom tomato is equivalent to close to $20 in seeds alone!
What varieties did you go with? My final lineup is beefsteak (new), rutgers, a cherry variety (can't remember what kind), pear (new), amish paste (new), purple cherokee. Peppers final lineup is chili, cayenne (hopefully they actually ripen this year), fish (new), bell, jalapeno, hungarian wax, sweet marconi, and pepperocini.
4/11/24 @ 12:40 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I got a few seedlings planted last night.  4 kinds of peppers and 3 kinds of tomatoes.  I will only need one or two from each kind, so all the others I give away or sell for just a buck on Facebook Marketplace.  May have to raise it to two bucks this year cause seeds are getting expensive!  But all friends and family I don't charge in giving them my seedlings I have raised.  And BMR, I'm back to growing eggplant again this year, two varieties!  So there's possible competition number 3 with you, ha ha!
4/11/24 @ 8:48 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
We've finally got some garlic sprouting! Things are warming up in the northwoods! I'm a little concerned about the hundreds of garlic bulbils I planted, I saw one sprouted so I pulled back some mulch and not seeing much activity. ​I need those to ​sprout to never have to buy garlic again so fingers crossed ​ground just isn't quite warm enough.
4/10/24 @ 12:22 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Boy those one hour germination seeds really work!
Vegetable Garden photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
4/10/24 @ 11:12 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
FLM yeah its amazing how quickly cherry tomatoes grow compared to bigger tomato varieties. My beefsteak are a fraction of the size compared to those. 3 months early was definitely a bit too early for cherries especially since I don't want to top them before I get them in the ground. I got my fish pepper seeds that you suggested planted last week, that's the last of my peppers I'm waiting on but nothing sprouting yet. Never was able to get paprika to sprout, hoping I can find some plants locally as I'm giving up on those.
I'm going to start selling my sweet potato slips in 2-3 weeks. It's like a jungle with those things. I put together two hanging baskets consisting of sweet potatoes, moonflower and black eyed susan that I'm giving for mother's day. I'm excited to see how they turn out.
4/10/24 @ 11:02 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
One bucket done six more to go today. One watered and saturated.
4/10/24 @ 9:57 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Pepper seedlings I planted last week are mostly up. Some I planted almost a month ago haven't emerged yet. Sometimes it takes several weeks, other times the seeds just don't germinate for whatever reason. Time to do my jalapeno seeds in the next few days. I've found they grow faster than the cayenne peppers, which I have my lowest germination rates on every year. I haven't started any tomatoes yet either but I will soon. I want to get those in the ground at a smaller size this year. And cherry tomatoes just grow too fast - those only need 4 weeks before planting outside to grow.
4/9/24 @ 7:10 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
So we roasted and froze some onions this year to put on sandwiches. They are excellent. They do not look the best these ones pictured here are still frozen. All we did is put them in plastic soup containers let them thaw on a sandwich for the next day, and they are delicious. Garlic with a nice smoky flavor. 
4/9/24 @ 6:50 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
No such thing as too many carrots. They were the only veggie we ran out of this winter. 
Vegetable Garden photo by Junkie4Ice
Vegetable Garden photo by Junkie4Ice
4/9/24 @ 6:06 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2

Displaying 70 to 79 of 8,508 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE