SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Making Maple Syrup

1/26/02 @ 12:59 PM
sapman
sapman
User since 8/16/01
This warm wheather is getting itchy to prep my syruping stuff. Only month and a half away.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 1,726 posts
2/2/24 @ 11:00 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Agree. Not tapping until next warmup or March....whichever comes sooner 
2/2/24 @ 10:38 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
Dude and Ulbian are definitely on to something. Lots of sappers scratching their heads on making a decision. 
2/2/24 @ 9:27 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
@the dude

Im with you on the sunlight thing.  I haven’t tapped anything yet and am holding off.  I’m not far from you but im not focused on just temps like some are.  Hell, my maples budded out in December.  

Sun angle and moon phases are as important to me as a forecast.  When two of the three line up I get itchy to tap.  When it appears that all three line up it’s definitely go time.  Right now one and only one of those three factors have shown itself.  

A friend of mine a few miles away has had his trees tapped for a week.  Volume has been hit or miss with him and sugar content is all over the damn place.  Sure, the air temp has been above freezing but that Sun angle is still low and when the sun has come out it’s not high enough to truly warm things up.  

Another friend of mine is a retired arborist.  The guy has a couple of masters degrees in forestry and has tapped trees for over 50 years.  Last year was the last year he cooked his own sap as this year he’s tapping trees but I’m cooking it for him this year he is seeing that my evaporator and processing set up is light years more advanced than what he has used.  200 acres of sugar maples at our disposal and his expertise, experience, and gut says it’s a no go at this point.  Tapping too early to get a head start could set you up to harm the trees more than it will help you get those few extra gallons of sap.  It’s just not worth it yet to open trees up leaving them more susceptible to harmful bacteria and stress.  
2/2/24 @ 7:55 AM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Fishin,  a little over 2%, 2.2 or 2.3%
2/1/24 @ 8:37 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
We’re starting to tap Saturday. I’ll post later how many bricks we get. Plan is to retap if needed. About 4-5 weeks is all the longer we like to go on a tap. It’s definitely gonna get cold again. Weird season we’re facing. Eau Claire/Dunn county. All under vacuum.

Sam what precent was your sugar content at?
2/1/24 @ 7:58 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Dude,  we cooked a small batch a couple of days ago, sugar was normal.  Winnebago County 
2/1/24 @ 7:00 PM
Deerlake1
User since 6/20/13
50 degrees in Waushara County today. Sap was going crazy today!
2/1/24 @ 12:51 PM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12
8 taps in this week, getting about a gallon per day per tap, got about 15 gallons so far. Trying to get ​20 by Saturday, so i can spend a few hours boiling down.  Walworth county..
2/1/24 @ 12:00 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10
DUDE I was watching the news this morning and they had someone in Wisconsin already tapping trees!!! The guy in interview said it was his earliest ever!
2/1/24 @ 11:51 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
Anyone collecting right now have the ability to check sugar content in the raw sap?  Just a theory I have that I would like to test…

So much in nature is tied to daylight hours and not weather.  I realize the weather is making the trees run, but I’m curious how much sugar they are actually producing.  If they are producing as normal, that would mean the growing season is starting.  I wonder what impact that could have on the tree if we have an extended cold spell yet in late February and into March.
2/1/24 @ 9:13 AM
woodturner
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/04
I know its early but I put in 13 taps yesterday and have 25 gallons of sap this morning. Weather looking good for almost 2 weeks for sap to run, hope I can collect enough by then to finish up.
4/4/23 @ 9:26 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05
last day of bottling for this year. note the shade of color change.
Making Maple Syrup photo by PSE
Making Maple Syrup photo by PSE
4/3/23 @ 8:36 PM
Brown haired monarch
User since 1/8/18
Cool pictures jig rod
4/3/23 @ 10:22 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01
You should be fine with your sap brown hair. Had all i could do to get to my sugar shack Saturday. 20+ of snow Friday night. Had a lot of help and managed to get boiling by noon. ?
Making Maple Syrup photo by JigRod
4/2/23 @ 7:18 PM
Brown haired monarch
User since 1/8/18
I have about 30 gallons of sap stored in a plastic tank covered completely with snow outside on the north side of the building. I can't boil it down till Saturday,  do you think the sap will stay fresh for 6 day's.?  Thanks
Displaying 76 to 90 of 1,726 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE