SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Making Maple Syrup

1/26/02 @ 12:59 PM
sapman
sapman
User since 8/16/01
This warm wheather is getting itchy to prep my syruping stuff. Only month and a half away.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 1,726 posts
2/20/24 @ 10:01 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
Thanks guy's, with this run of weather, if I have any dry bucket's next weekend I will try another tree. I also noticed some tree's where there is an old tap, there remains a hole, and other tree's the hole grew over nicely and just looks like a scar.
2/20/24 @ 8:56 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
Don't redrill.  I've had taps that all around were running, that tree didn't.  Then a week later-that tree turned on.  If you redrill, risk overharvesting sap and hurting the tree.  
2/20/24 @ 8:47 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I would not re-drill the same tree unless it is large enough to support multiple taps and you have not yet reached that number.  You can google for the tree size requirements for multiple taps.  I will say that I never put more than one hole a year in all my trees, regardless of size.

We tapped 21 sugars last night.  Everyone was pretty much at max run.  It will be an interesting year for sure.

2/20/24 @ 7:53 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
Very strange year Dude. We're pulling sap but it hasn't been anything special. Lower than average sugar content. 

On the taps not giving sap, just give it a bit they may not be running. Each tree can be a little different. Definitely keep an eye on them. Could have a hollow tree. 
2/20/24 @ 7:12 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
37 taps went in on Sunday. About 1/4 showed signs of sap with no steady drippers. If you have a tree that does not give you any sap, do you redrill in another spot, or move onto another tree? Targeting a different area this year. Lower ground instead of on the hill. With very little snow cover, I'm able to get to the tree's with my tractor or ATV. Hopefully I can collect enough for a first boil of 2024 next weekend.
2/19/24 @ 8:34 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
Got all of my tapping stuff cleaned up and ready to go yesterday.  This morning, I stepped into the garage to grab my shoes, and sure enough, heard my first Sandhill Crane of the year.  Taps are going in tonight.

Also saw a robin in the front yard this morning too.  What a strange year.
2/8/24 @ 8:43 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I'm with you on St. Louis beers.  I drink a lot of craft, but when drinking for volume it is always Miller.  I recently went to a concert at Fiserv Forum.  I was extremely disappointed that they had AB products exclusively.  IMO, it is criminal for a Milwaukee/WI team to not serve Miller products.  I don't even understand how that could have happened.
2/7/24 @ 6:08 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
@the dude

Sure thing…. Connect via messenger and maybe we can cross paths.  

I drink beer but I have never and will never drink any of that crap coming out of St. Louis.  I’m still pissed off about the 1982 World Series.  9 years ago my wife and I were driving through St. Louis to visit some friends of hers.  I pulled off the interstate and was heading towards Busch StAdium and told her I had to take a dump.  One person in that car was being unreasonable.  I chalk it up to her being pregnant at the time.  

I’m a tinkerer so the way I have stuff set up evolves daily.  Last year was a sharp sharp learning curve with a very different evaporator than I had been used to, incorporating an RO…and then modifying that RO with internal recirculation lines to boost the rejection rate without fouling membranes… you’d think I’d sit tight and simply tweak last year’s approach.  Nope, not at all.  Different way to deliver sap to my float box, different approach to preserving sap longer without spoiling, and on and on.  

So yeah, shoot me a direct message.  I have an RO that just needs a good rinse and will be ready to go in case you get buried in sap and can’t handle it.  I found out real quick last year that I don’t necessarily need an RO since my pan is pretty fast.  I’ll run it if I’m buried in sap but if I don’t have to run it I probably won’t.  
2/5/24 @ 10:13 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Looks delicious Perch!

Bow, Eau Claire County.
2/5/24 @ 10:05 PM
Perchhound
Perchhound
User since 12/5/07
Chemist helped mentor me and my first run is done. About 9-10 gallons and I got just over 1 QT.   Taste so much better when you do it yourself.
Making Maple Syrup photo by Perchhound
2/5/24 @ 9:16 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18
Fishin, what county are you in?
2/5/24 @ 5:32 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Around 2400 gallons today. Season’s first load of concentrate. It’s was a little under 2% before being RO’d.
Making Maple Syrup photo by FishinXtreme
2/3/24 @ 6:28 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01
Gave up on icefishing. Only one trip this year. 16 taps in so far. Very heavy sap flow.
2/3/24 @ 9:28 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I think I’ve mentioned it here before, but I’ve noticed a strange correlation between when I tap my trees and when the sandhill cranes show back up.  It’s to the point where I literally let them dictate.  When I see my first crane back, I get started.

I’d love to see your set up someday Ulbian if you’d have me.  I always show up with beer.   
2/3/24 @ 8:18 AM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05
if you use bags..wait. if you use tubes/vacuum...some have started setting up
Displaying 61 to 75 of 1,726 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE