SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

anyone regretting lithium trolling motor batterys

2/22/23 @ 9:42 AM
INITIAL POST
ducks
User since 2/17/11

Hello,, l i was just wondering if anybody is regretting putting in lithium batterys in  for their trolling motor.  I am looking at getting an ulterra 36 volt  tm and just checking everyones advice for battery size and configuration.  I am thinking of getting a 100 Amphour, single 36 volt battery....    Thanks for any info....Duck

Displaying 46 to 56 of 56 posts
3/6/23 @ 1:44 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10
 12v 125AH Ionic/PP Charge/75AH 24v single,going on 4 seasons with 0 regrets.Whole setup weighs about 70lbs.
2/24/23 @ 3:09 PM
Symmetre
User since 5/11/20
My old gel cells packed it in last winter so I replaced them with Re-Lion lithium-ions (12.8 volts, 75 amp hours, powering a 24-volt Terrova on an older Lund Pro V). The run times are completely insane, I can go all weekend on a single charge no problem, where in the past I'd start to notice the gel cells losing steam after 6 - 7 hours. Even if it's really windy and I'm on the electric non-stop, the new batteries run all day without fading at all. They're freaking awesome.

The main reason I bought them is because they're supposed to last 5x as long as gel cells, which right now I'm replacing every 2 - 3 years. If I can get 10 years out of these things like they say, I'll have saved $200.
2/24/23 @ 3:02 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
The trolling motor will still run on 12V so a lithium battery must drop below 12V rather quickly, at which point your meter goes from full to zero and your motor dies without warning. So in my opinion it renders the meter useless.
2/24/23 @ 2:06 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
The lead acid voltage range under discharge was about 12.8 to 11V,  The lithiums are more like 13.4V to 12V

The gauge will still work, but will still be in the green yet when the lithiums die.  So not good that way.
2/24/23 @ 10:18 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Just curious, if the voltage holds through out the discharge does this render your battery meter on the trolling motor obsolete? I would assume that it works off voltage level, so you would go from full charge to zero?
2/24/23 @ 9:23 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
From the few folks that I know that have them they are impressed, I have read where some guys bought cheap ones and they basically did not hold up as advertised, so buyer beware.

Pro's I see.
+Battery gives consistent output over a longer time period as it discharges ,ie longer fun times.
+Weight
Life of battery although I think the jury is still out here, and this will be played out.  Advertised 11 year warranty hmm...

Con's
- Cost,  Pricing 100 amp hr 12v batteries I have seen prices from $350 to $900 so I suspect not all are created equal so buyer beware.
Charging/charger may or may not be an issue so it may or may not be a con.

My personal thoughts are I have 4 lead acid batteries in my boat, and for all the Wal-Mart haters they are Wal-mart brand.  I get 4-6 years out of those batteries and I change them out of the boat at 4yr and use them for another 2-3 years around the place.  Campers, RV's, Tractors etc.

What is appealing to me is weight, with roughly 200 + lbs of lead acid batteries I could get 100lbs of additional weight out of the boat.   I get all the run time I need out of the lead acid batteries so no noticeable saving realized for me there.  I am skeptical of the 11 yr service live, and truth be told technology changes so fast.  And since I can change out the lead Acid batteries 3 times and still cost less than a lithium battery, I am really looking at the weight reduction as my main advantage.  So I am in a wait and see mode for the time being.  I understand how others use their boat and batteries will definitely shape how they make the decision.  I  like the fact that as more and more people adopt them we will learn more , and have potential better options as well in the future.

Good luck

2/23/23 @ 10:07 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I bought 2 Battle Born 100ah batteries last summer for a 24v Terrova and a separate 50ah for electronics. So far I’ve been impressed with them. Thru my research, I was told from several sources to get 12v batteries instead of one 24v or in your case, a 36v. I honestly don’t recall why but for what the batteries cost, I figured I’d take their advice. My advice would be to call the manufacturer and ask what they recommend. Walleye Central is a good place to do research as well.
2/23/23 @ 10:59 AM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
That 100Ah 36V lithium is pretty much the same capacity you would get if you strung 3 Group 31 lead acid batteries in series, which is what virtually everybody does.  So, nominal capacity-wise, you are at the same place.  Except the lithium will hold its voltage pretty much all the way down, giving you considerably more W-h than the lead acids will.

The downside is now you have to purchase a 36V lithium charger.  Not common, good luck.  Keep your CC warmed up, LOL.

Minnkota had warnings about using lithiums on their website at one time, have not looked recently.
2/22/23 @ 7:03 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
I would look into how many amps a 36 V motor draws and then calculate how many hours of run time you will get from that single 36 V 100 amp hour battery. A search of 112 lb thrust 36V motors shows a 20 amp draw at 50% thrust. If I understand correctly a 100 amp hour battery would run for 5 hours before depleting the battery.
2/22/23 @ 1:30 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
I don't have them yet,  but the guys I do know and fish with say they are amazing.  Longer run times is the big thing.  I don't think anyone can speak to longevity yet.  they are a big investment,  so that's why i'm waiting a bit.  I know some have great warranties, but a warranty is only as good as the company that backs it.
Displaying 46 to 56 of 56 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE