SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

anyone regretting lithium trolling motor batterys

2/22/23 @ 9:42 AM
INITIAL POST
ducks
User since 2/17/11

Hello,, l i was just wondering if anybody is regretting putting in lithium batterys in  for their trolling motor.  I am looking at getting an ulterra 36 volt  tm and just checking everyones advice for battery size and configuration.  I am thinking of getting a 100 Amphour, single 36 volt battery....    Thanks for any info....Duck

Displaying 16 to 30 of 56 posts
8/15/23 @ 10:10 AM
ducks
User since 2/17/11
As the original poster, l just wanted to give some feedback on what l installed....I bought a new 36 volt,, 112 lb. ,, ulterra trolling motor, 72" ,  and paired it with a single 36 volt Epoche battery (100Ah) ,(very nice unit)  along with their 36 volt charger...Everything is working just great..  I installed this on my older Lund 1850 Tyee and it powers it nicely.  I have trolled in calm waters for 4 hours ,with just the ulterra pulling cranks, and only ran the Battery down 50% ..most of the time I do troll with the kicker motor powering the boat and the trolling motor doing the steering.. with the battery lasting 8 hours plus....I am very happy with the results.    Duck       ps , thanks for all the info I received.
6/4/23 @ 9:10 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Weise Battery update: Trolled from 2 to 9 for salmon using the trolling motor for steering set to 4. Still had 80% charge left after the 7 hours.
5/29/23 @ 5:02 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Weise Battery update: Took a little trip and batteries were unplugged from the charger for 3 weeks, still showed full voltage when I got home. Pulled Crank baits behind planer boards at 2.1 to 2.3 with no assistance from the main motor, lasted approximately 6.25 hours before shutting off. Full voltage through the whole trip, only drawback is no warning that they are about to quit. So far so good, but only time will tell the whole story!
4/13/23 @ 9:03 PM
Moon River
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/22
Thanks for the update J W. Yes I absolutely love the spot lock feature. At least my onboard charger is very accessible which should ease install.
4/13/23 @ 8:57 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Update: Batteries charged from about 80% to full charge in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Charger appears to be working correctly! I believe the chargers actually slow near the end but give the full 10 amps for most of the charging cycle. Not exactly sure how long the charger was off before I measured, but the voltage was at 13.57.

Edit: After sitting overnight batteries are at 13.42 V, consistent with last charge at 99 to 100% full charge per manual.
4/13/23 @ 7:45 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Moon River, you are going to absolutely love Spot Lock! Another reason to have good batteries. I haven't used an anchor in I don't know how long! 
4/13/23 @ 6:50 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
I had a Real Pro RS2 that is good for Lithium that I charged them with the first time but I don't think it was working correctly. It actually boiled out my existing batteries over the winter, thus the upgrade. 

I installed a Minn Kota MK-220 PCL today and it is charging as I write this. It lets you select which type of battery you have. 2 banks, 10 Amps each. Hardest part was removing the old charger, wire ties where you can't reach, almost need to be a contortionist! 

I'll let you know how it works after they are done charging. Got it at Hodges Marine on-line for $221 with free shipping.
anyone regretting lithium trolling motor batterys photo by Jabberwalker
4/13/23 @ 5:24 PM
Moon River
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/22
Jabberwalker what did you do for charging the batteries? On board charger? If so what kind or portable charger? Get my boat out of storage on Sunday. Will check / charge / decide if this is "the year" to jump from lead acid. Pushing 5 years om them. Any charging info would be appreciated! (By the way I upgraded to 24 volt Terrova last year from 24 volt Power Drive and have an OLD 2 bank charger I feel will need to be changed out also)
4/13/23 @ 1:40 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Anybody try out any Li-ion starting batteries? I've heard mixed reviews so far.
4/12/23 @ 3:06 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Jabberwalker- That's awesome terrific report. You hit the nail on the head with the weight difference- so much better than the 70 pounds with those old lead acid. And bonus, you never have to worry about tipping one over, or all the vibrations killing. Congrats on your purchase, I'm on my 3rd season and couldn't be happier with them.

4/11/23 @ 9:39 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Initial report on my WEIZE batteries:

They arrived packaged nicely surrounded in foam, charged to 13.24V & 13.21V, and shipping was very fast. What a weight difference compared to my old batteries, about 25 lbs each. Charged them up and let them sit overnight before connecting them in parallel as stated in the manual to balance them. After about 20 hours they both settled in at 13.42 volts which according to manual is 99 to 100% charge.

Hooked them up to my 24V Terrova and spent 6 hours fishing the Fox River in heavy current today near the dam, using spot lock, and the trolling motor for moving around the entire 6 hours. I measured the voltage at the plug when I got home at 26.49 (13.24 each) which is still 80% State of Charge. So it's early, but so far so good!

One thing that stood out to me in the manual was that from 70% to 40% charge is only a .1V drop.
4/9/23 @ 8:57 AM
fuzzyfishin
User since 3/26/07
I’ve had ionic for about a year. Love every bit of them. About 1/3 less weight, smaller, charge faster.
 Ionics have an app you can download to your phone. Which will give all the technical info you need about the condition Of each battery
4/8/23 @ 2:40 PM
Old bass guy
PRO MEMBER User since 1/16/22
So far so good on mine. I’m on my 3rd year only, but I have a 36volt ghost, and I run all day with plenty left for day 2 if I want. Charges fast. Lighter in weight. My only issue was on my starting battery. Must have had a draw over the winter last year. It was so dead it wouldn’t take a charge. Now for winter, I disconnect the battery after charging it full, and it’s good. 
4/7/23 @ 8:34 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Jabber- A multi-meter would do the trick. I don't know if newer trolling motors are wired differently but if I couldn't reach my batteries I would just hook the multi meter leads to the trolling motor power plug. Mine's right at the bow so easy to reach. Or just get long leads and leave them hooked up to the batteries? I test mine under load right before I come off the water. All that said, I don't fish for more than about 4 hours per day so it's not really critical for me.  

4/7/23 @ 4:47 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Wally Pike....... How do you know how much charge you used? Did the Battle Born's come with some kind of gauge or do you actually measure the voltage? My batteries are buried under my rod storage area, kind of a pain to get at! I already know my Minn Kota battery meter will not work as it is based on lead acid battery voltage.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 56 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE