SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

anyone regretting lithium trolling motor batterys

2/22/23 @ 9:42 AM
INITIAL POST
ducks
User since 2/17/11

Hello,, l i was just wondering if anybody is regretting putting in lithium batterys in  for their trolling motor.  I am looking at getting an ulterra 36 volt  tm and just checking everyones advice for battery size and configuration.  I am thinking of getting a 100 Amphour, single 36 volt battery....    Thanks for any info....Duck

Displaying 31 to 45 of 56 posts
4/7/23 @ 1:59 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
One thing to pay attention to is the minimum storage temperature, which is usually given as -20C to -25C, or about 0 degrees F to -10 degrees F, depending on brand.  Unlike lead-acid batteries, lithiums don't tolerate very low temperatures.  So, if you store the boat in an unheated area, it would be a good idea to remove the batteries over winter around here.
4/7/23 @ 9:40 AM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Sure you might save money by getting the Wietz. Unless it starts cooking off; it's your gamble.
I refer to LiONs as such for brevity I know the difference between them and LifePo4's. Yes you're correct, it's from overheating/overcharging. Why? The reasons I stated- cheaper components and shoddy assembly to bring them in at a cheaper price. Maybe you do ok saving a buck or two, maybe your batteries cook off and start other things on fire. Your call.
Just like anything else, you generally get what you pay for. Let's see how everyone's doing at the 5 year mark, that's about all that can be said at this point.

4/7/23 @ 9:02 AM
mendota
I will point out that the BattleBorn batteries, at $925 each,  are more than 3X the price of the Weize batteries mentioned.  Which means, if you get 4 years out of the Weize batteries, you are ahead of the BattleBorn alternative.
4/7/23 @ 8:55 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Don't confuse LiFePO4 and Lithium-Ion batteries:

LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) are the safest type of lithium battery because they are not prone to overheating and even if they're punctured, they won't catch on fire. To ensure the utmost safety and minimal impact, the chemistry utilizes only environmentally acceptable materials and has zero emissions with no venting needed.

The main cause of fire or explosion of a lithium ion battery is excessive overheating during charging, which causes a perpetuating reaction called thermal runaway. Without proper management, thermal runaway may result in fire.

4/7/23 @ 7:43 AM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Mendota- Give Battle Born in Reno a call, they can answer all that for you regardless if you buy from them or not.
4/7/23 @ 7:40 AM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Jabberwalker- Good to know, I should have caveated my info by mentioning my research was a couple years old. That said, the biggest buying factor IMO is how they're assembled and the quality of the parts. Battle Born are one of the extremely few assembled in the US. Them and Braille last time I looked. All the ones I looked at have a "10 year warranty" but they differ in the fine print of what that covers. Almost all the LiONs you hear about spontaneously combusting is because they were ?shabbily put together. Everyone's comfort level about that is different I guess.

4/7/23 @ 7:19 AM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Edge- The time it takes to charge depends on how low they get, but I've never not had them ready after charging overnight. Might even be faster, since they're not "deep cycle" and don't need that slow charge. Also, you don't HAVE to recharge them as often as the lead. If you only used 1/4 and plan on doing the same fishing the next day just leave them. As far as winter care/ storage, it's about the same or better as leads. Protect them from freezing/ excessive heat and that's about it. Since they don't discharge like leads though, you don't have to give them the occasional re-charge. The nice thing is it's a whole lot easier to move them around since they weigh significantly less.

4/6/23 @ 6:12 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07
Does it take longer to charge and what about winter care?
4/6/23 @ 6:06 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
All the Batteries mentioned below offer models with built in heaters. Some even offer Bluetooth monitoring that offers real time State of Charge info.
4/6/23 @ 4:22 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
I switched to lithiums last spring and couldn't be happier. Lithiums are far superior to lead acid in every way. (Well except if want to use that lead acid as an anchor)
Lead acids discharge just sitting there, and wear down as you use them. Lithiums give you everything they got until they shut down completely
The worst thing on lead acids are bouncing and vibration, a constant thing on while the boat is on the water or being trailered. Vibration doesn't hurt lithiums. Also, lead acids have to be upright, you can configure LiONs upside down if you want. Theyre's also the weight- 50 pounds? for a lead batt opossed to 20. Easy call there.
Yeah if you buy some cheap LiON you'll regret it- how they are put together is important.
LiONs can be used in below freezing temps but can be damaged if you charge them in below freezing temps.
I did a ton of research before buying and decided to go with BATTLE BORN located in Reno Nevada. Although they get their components from ChYna like everyone else does, they are ASSEMBLED IN THE US, and that's important. They also have a military discount so that's cool if you qualify. Battle Born's also have an internal mechanism for below freezing temps. When you're charging their battery, an internal sensor will stop the charge if it senses it's too cold (and damage the battery), and use it's own reserves to warm the battery until it is warm enough and then continue the charge. I couldn't find any other LiONs that did this, so if you bought a different battery your only option is to not charge in freezing temps or just not charge at all.
They have a great website, and their customer service is really good, all US based people with knowledgeable tech support. Most newer battery chargers will work on their batteries and they can tell you if your charger will work for their batts. Yes, it's better to get two 12V's than one 24V.
No I don't work for them or get a kickback, I'm just happy to pass on what I think is a good company. Of course they cost more than what you're gonna find at Fleet Farm or Cabela's, their stuff is poor quality in a rush to get into the market. It's not like Cabela's or any other place has a LiON factory, they contract it out to the lowest bidder. Battle Born all the way for me.

4/6/23 @ 10:58 AM
mendota
Wow, only about 30% above what I paid for AGMs last spring.

One concern I have with the low temperature charge cutoff, is what do I do in the late fall, when the temperature in my garage might be not high enough to allow charging?  Particularly if the cheap BMS's guard-band the cutoff all the way up to 40F or something, could be a real issue.

On the construction side, shoving 5 #12 wires into a lug is not exactly kosher, very highly dependent on the assembler's skill and somebody's quality inspection.  Putting silicone over connections as they did only serves to obscure serious quality concerns; it adds no value otherwise.  Other than that, they looked OK.  I do like that they are using prismatic cells, and only 8 of them, to construct the battery.  Contrast that to the Battle-Born construction, which uses 120 cylindrical cells.  Simpler is nearly always better, and it is certainly cheaper.

Let us know your experiences this season...as I said, I may be in the market next spring.
4/6/23 @ 9:15 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Decided to go with the WEIZE after watching this review, $350 Weize 12V 100Ah LiFePO4: Ripoff??.
On sale through eBay for $297 through Friday, they are also available on Amazon and directly through their website. I will let everyone know my thoughts after I receive them. Long term will hopefully take years before I can post a review! I guess my thinking is just like everything else, after something becomes popular and more companies jump in the market the competition drives prices down.
4/4/23 @ 1:56 PM
mendota
I did what I thought was a reasonably thorough survey of lithium batteries last spring, and I did not come across Epoch, Weize, or LiTime.  Curious how you folks came across those brands.

Course, I was specifically looking for Group 27 sized batteries, 12V only, for RV application.  That might have limited my choices.  May be replacing boat 24V TM + batteries next season?
4/4/23 @ 11:32 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Decided to make the jump to LiFePO4 (Lithium) batteries. Trying to decide between WEIZE and LiTime, both have 10 year warranties. Has anyone purchased either of these and if so how do like them? Are they performing as expected?

My charger should be OK, it charges to 14.6 volts with a constant current held until 1 amp at which time the charge terminates with a 6A max current. I emailed both companies but still waiting for a response to see if that is sufficient current. Generally lithium requires a recommended charge voltage of 14.2-14.6.
3/10/23 @ 6:56 PM
ducks
User since 2/17/11
Well , l made the jump and bought a single 36 volt ,100AH ,  Epoch battery and charger....lt sure is a slick looking unit.  I also ordered  Ulterra trolling motor.   Should be a sweet setup, once installed..   Anybody want my credit card bill next month..LOL
Displaying 31 to 45 of 56 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE