C-Junkie22
C-Junkie22
User since 11/16/10
Displaying 46 to 60 of 84 posts
1/25/20 @ 11:49 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Ref: extending the current nine-day gun season to 19 days 

Has anyone actually have any seen any Data that pertains to this question.

I see that the assumption is that the 10 days will be added after the end of the traditional rifle season.

These are the possibilities that I see:

19 day season could start on Nov. 1 or could start 10 days before Traditional, or could run from Nov. 5 to 24 every year, or who knows.

Do you trust the NRB or the legislature to do the right thing?

1/24/20 @ 3:50 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

To add on to sheepshed ; And if you host a campaign meet and greet at your business you will probably get a seat on the NRB, and guess who is up to his eyeballs having a huge hand in writing the questions. 

1/24/20 @ 2:25 PM
Sheepshead
User since 4/16/04

Percheye is 100% correct. Walker put in rules that contradicted science. Much of this was part of his election campaign to get votes from disgruntled hunters. Remember Sportsmen for Walker?

1/24/20 @ 10:37 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Sorry some are so thin skinned to only read the politics portion.

I will attempt to clarify one more time. The changes I refer to were made by the Walker administration and have yet to be changed by the Evers administration. Im really not trying to be partisan and am a conservative republican but as much good as was done by the Walker administration they were no friend to the natural resources. We need science in our natural resource management.

We lost decades of knowledge in the DNR that needs to be replaced. The legislature without public hearings on many of the changes made put through the changes on the state budgets and other bills that had nothing to do with the great outdoors.

There are now some proposed ideas being tossed out there. I encourage you to go to your spring hearings in April or vote online and let your voice be heard. Submit your own proposal or get in touch with you local Conservation congress member to let them know or your local CDAC.

1/24/20 @ 10:19 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Again, short term effects, this is a long term problem.

While one may be able to say they didn't fix the problem, they certainly didn't cause it either.

One can also say that because this is such a long term problem it will not be able to be fixed in a short term.

1/24/20 @ 10:06 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

I know some folks don't want to hear this, but sadly politics is involved in this. Several NRB members were appointed by SW.  The NRB is where these questions are coming from. There were some very major changes made at the DNR during the previous administration.

1/24/20 @ 9:57 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

You can't blame it all on a previous administration and say it wasn't an attempt to bring politics into it. Anything that happened may have had a shot term effect, but this is a long term problem.

"For me bring back the backtag the carcass tag and in person registration and then we can start looking at numbers and how to manage our seasons."

I agree, they are not getting a realistic account of the deer harvested anymore.

1/24/20 @ 9:39 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Wow I wasn't trying to bring politics  into this. Politics is what I'm blaming for many of the rules and regulations we have today. We need to get back to the process of refining what we want through the spring hearings. Only problem is most of those that complain and whine about the DNR have never even participated in the law and rule making process that we have. These questions that have been proposed maybe will make some participate  that otherwise wouldn't. As of last year it easier than ever as you can vote online.

As to mistakes being made long before these changes I'll agree SAK needed changes as our permit changed that method to be less accurate. They handed out way too many tags for too many years and forced us to shoot deer that weren't there. Sorry I know guys don't know better but really just because you have a tag you don't have to fill it.

Maybe having riled up so many and ruffled feathers it will prompt some to submit their own ideas to be voted on. 

For me bring back the backtag the carcass tag and in person registration and then we can start looking at numbers and how to manage our seasons.

1/24/20 @ 9:38 AM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/03

percheye1 is spot on. Science was replaced with the eye test and CDACs. 

1/23/20 @ 9:37 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

Late 80's is when the DNR's SAK method started to become flawed.

1/23/20 @ 9:07 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Percheye way wrong. The things I speak of happened long before the things you speak of.

1/23/20 @ 8:53 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Please keep your political finger pointing out of this, it's been going down hill for way over 8 years.

1/23/20 @ 8:36 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

The underlying reason for the DNR pushing for an increase in license sales is money - from the feds.  The money from the taxes on hunting supplies is distributed based on license sales.  WI used to have the most non resident license sales in the US.  Now they are competing against other states for a dwindling piece of the pie.  This was why sales of senior licenses was used instead of free licenses.  Free licenses don't count in the tally.  Licenses have to cost more than the administrative cost.  

The DNR also has to deal with and comply with federal standards and issues.  Since the feds give equal weight to anti hunting interests, there is  lot the state DNRs have to contend with.  None of this is cheap.   

1/23/20 @ 8:28 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Riverchaser the science you speak of in the dnr has been long gone. It has been replaced with barstool genius and who has a buddy in the legislature and get some hair brained idea passed. Yes it has always been in fashion to bash the dnr but the science department has been fired by the Walker administration and the Evers administration has not replaced it. The fact is we had a Natural resources department that was looked up to nation wide. Our system of implementing rules and regulations was unique and always in our hands as residents of Wisconsin with the spring hearings. This too was watered down with the Walker administration although it's still there it just takes longer to get changes through. Most of the bs changes that have been made over the last 10 years have little of anything to do with the dnr. They have been changes made by legislature.

1/23/20 @ 6:57 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Back in the 1980s and 1990s the popular newspapers were the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and the appleton Post Crescent in the area I lived.  Both papers had deer hunting related articles that regularily raved about Wisconsins deer science and population estimates being the envy of the entire nation.  This wasnt just an occasional article or an occasional interview that claimed this.  Hunting north of Hwy 8 for most of the past 30 years there is no indication that the science we paid for is beneficial to the hunters who paid for the science. In fact, just the opposite. The people who paid for this "best science in the nation" have gotten betrayed by the science they supported.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 84 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE