INITIAL POST
C-Junkie22
C-Junkie22
User since 11/16/10
Displaying 16 to 30 of 84 posts
1/30/20 @ 2:26 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

JC  - You correct stating the "archery season" would be shortened (only 2-days) through the eliminating all hunting two days prior to the nine day gun season question. I completely overlooked at it that way.  The following is a link to the 6 NRB drafted proposal questions.  Again, these are preliminary questions at this time. Any wording  or changes could be made before they are officially approved for the questionnaire.

https://p.widencdn.net/frq2sl/2020-01-4F-NRB-advisory-questions-re-big-game-hunting

1/30/20 @ 1:18 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

They do have a question about shortening the archery season by two days (banning hunting 2 days before rifle season).  I am all for it.  I would rather have them close it the entire week quite frankly.  

It would help if I actually read all the other questions in their entirety   

1/30/20 @ 12:54 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

JC  -  There is no question to shorten the archery season, only the crossbow season. also, the question to eliminate the antlerless only hunt, only refers to the four day holiday hunt, not the preceding statewide four day antlerless only hunt.  That is the way the questions are drafted at this time.  I would not anticipate any changes being made to the questions.

1/30/20 @ 12:37 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"How about this, 1 buck, 1 doe, deer license $60.00, season September 15 to December 15. Any weapon, any time, giddy up.  Stop telling other people how to hunt."

I'm all for it!  Of course the doe tag would have to only be available for non-buck only areas.

For the Spring Hearings I will be voting to shorten the crossbow season and shorten the archery season, voting against extending the rifle season, and voting to get rid of the extra antlerless hunts (I believe that is how the questions are laid out - haven't read the published questions yet).  I do not despise crossbow hunters and really don't care what weapon you use, but I do despise the continual liberal policies of the extra tags, extra seasons, and longer seasons over the past 20 years.  Anything to reduce the killing of deer I will be voting for.  Your idea - an attempt to limit buck harvest I completely agree with.  I would be fine with longer and extra seasons if harvest is reduced.  I believe the gun hunting license losses would slow also with more deer on the landscape, and limiting buck harvest would undoubtedly somewhat increase the success rate during rifle season - there are a lot of hunters that would not forego their rifle tag by shooting a forkhorn before rifle season.

1/30/20 @ 12:13 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

So is it possible that there is not a reduction in hunters, but just a reduction in license bought, no more visible license/ back tags, no more in person registration, just a thought.

1/30/20 @ 11:26 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Name a state that requires mandatory in person registration for all deer kills. Not saying there aren’t any, but I’m not going to go through and try to find one. 

1/30/20 @ 11:10 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"I bet 10-20% of reduction is because people don't call in their kills. "

Doesn't explain why the deer registration dropped that much in one year - this isn't a new change.  For some reason did people get together in 2019 and plan not to register their kills for this year?

1/30/20 @ 9:57 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13
1/30/20 @ 9:35 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Thanks oldhunter; The durkin link spells it out perfect.

1/29/20 @ 11:16 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

Check out this Link.  As the new millennium saying suggests, "It Is What It Is".

https://www.patrickdurkinoutdoors.com/post/dnr-board-practices-witchcraft-on-wisconsin-s-deer-program 

1/29/20 @ 9:13 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Big Game Questions

Here are the questions. Again, question 5 is deceptively worded. A no vote means status quo. I will be voting no on all but number 6. For those worried about the accuracy of the current registration system, how many deer get registered as bow kills during gun season? While I don’t think an extended season will make much difference good or bad, it’s just a bone they’re throwing to the gun hunters in an effort to keep them from going crossbow. I think the antlerless season is appropriate where necessary and needs to stay in the toolbox. I don’t think a no hunting period is necessary, everyone is in the woods anyway. Number 4, they should go back to the old management zones and consolidate them based on habitat. 

1/29/20 @ 9:04 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

ERE  -  this should be the link you are looking for.  It shows the six questions drafted by the NRB board and proposed for the Spring hearing. The crossbow question is number #5.  I do have to agree that the question and it's preamble are worded tricky and confusing, might even include deceiving. especially the parts about the elderly and disabled being exempt from the restricted dates. I have been told that only the legislature can bring back those permits. Supposedly The NRB/DNR can only change the season dates.  There appears to be a lot of questions about this proposal as to what and how things can be changed, with no credible answers at this point. Hopefully, some credible explanations will be forthcoming before the spring hearing.

https://p.widencdn.net/frq2sl/2020-01-4F-NRB-advisory-questions-re-big-game-hunting

1/29/20 @ 8:23 PM
Mike 04
Mike 04
User since 5/19/16
In regards to the decrease number of deer taken, I can't help but think the tagging rule changes have led to many many deer kills not being reported.  I bet 10-20% of reduction is because people don't call in their kills.  Maybe the DNR should stop being so cheap and go back to back tags.  It was an awesome tradition, not to mention great for bars and gas stations that registered deer.  DNR are sometimes their own worst enemy!!
1/29/20 @ 7:37 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

How about this, 1 buck, 1 doe, deer license $60.00, season September 15 to December 15. Any weapon, any time, giddy up.  Stop telling other people how to hunt. 

1/29/20 @ 7:20 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Old hunter, I'm having trouble attaching links. Can you post the proposed question as written for the spring hearing, very questionable wording.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 84 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE