MORE
Archery

2021/22 bow hunting reports

9/18/21 @ 5:31 PM
INITIAL POST
mcsb
mcsb
User since 6/6/10

Had a little year and a half come in at 7am ish... Downwind and crossed walk in path and kept going... Cool to experience ground hunting in a marsh/crp area... Later went to check a cam close in area and got within 40 of a small doe with the sun at my back... Good check I'll be trying to hunt that area after working this weekend 2 nice bucks around there just no daylight pics will have to gameplan to move in close to suspected bedding provided they aren't in the corn there... All public land se wi..  tight(bow)strings and good luck everyone this season. I'm pumped!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 153 posts
11/1/21 @ 6:21 AM
Cory2
User since 7/16/10

6 pt at 20 yards sun am around 8, jumped a decent 8 going in diff prop in aft. Bucks just walking around. No rut yet here in Jefferson Cty. 

10/31/21 @ 9:32 PM
Skunky ll
User since 1/11/21

Doe on Thursday nite, This Halloween morning!!’  
Grunted him in to 15yds!!

10/31/21 @ 8:46 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Hunt the next 4 days, they are running all day in Central Wisconsin.  Had a big buck, and several small bucks cruise through all day long until 3 pm. Weather is perfect now also except a little windy.  Not sure what people wait for. Next week they will be locked up with the does already. 

10/31/21 @ 8:19 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

SM- dandy buck! The 2nd picture sure shows the tine length! 

Obligations this morning kept me from getting in my stand before daylight but I sat from 11:00am till dark and was covered up in does and fawns pretty much the entire time. Unfortunately about 5pm I had a big doe get downwind of me and blew a couple times, probably messed up the last hour I’m sure. No sign of any rut by me. 

Not sure if I should hit it hard the next couple days or wait a couple days. Cameras are still showing a lot of nighttime buck movement but getting closer to shooting time. Thoughts? 

10/31/21 @ 8:12 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Spent Friday & Saturday in my ground blind, at my age you don't go up stairs anymore.  In my mind peak rut is still in front of us. Saw very little movement, one decent buck, couple of doe that was it. None close, better days ahead hopefully.

10/31/21 @ 8:00 PM
tailsneyes
User since 11/29/19

What's the difference i grew up shotgun only. Now its rifle . Back in the day if I walked a 100 yards I could use a rifle but couldn't shoot past the east fencline. To each their own. Hunt as long as its legal. The DUDE more power to you my shoulder has been messed up going on 20 years gave up bow hunting enjoy watching the dog work. If and when I get back into bowhunting it will be with a crossbow. So the haters can hate. You hypocrites.????

10/31/21 @ 7:22 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11
Got on my stand this morning and just didn't feel right. Figured it out, forgot my glasses. For some reason didn't see anything. HAPPY HALLOWEEN
10/31/21 @ 5:53 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

My son-in-law sent me a better picture of his deer from Friday.  It green scored just under 145.

P.S.  Dude...keep posting, including your pics if you get something.

10/30/21 @ 10:01 PM
Cory2
User since 7/16/10

To crossbow or not to crossbow, that is the question. I think that is Shakespeare ??  I bought a beautiful new Hoyt compound 3 years ago, near $1000 cause I have always wanted a NICE bow. Bought my kid a cheap crossbow cause that might get him back into the sport.  He still isn’t interested and i got a nice 9 last year with his crossbow. I like the crossbow, just me. power of a gun without the loud boom and flinch of a gun. I suck at shooting guns at deer. AND it is my choice while i hunt friends farms and private property. So my crossbow hunting ain’t hurting anyone, only taking a deer that might be shot second weekend on one private property. To each their legal own. 

10/30/21 @ 9:09 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Spot-on Brews!

The way I look at it, and what I’ve personally witnessed and hear about, the people using crossbows probably are either elderly, injured or were/are not very proficient with a compound. I’m in the later group even though I practiced a ton with my compound.  I have terrible anxiety and it got worse as I got older affecting my accuracy if I don’t have a rest. When I was in high school and most of my 20’s I could shoot 2” groups all day long out to 40 yards. Now, I cannot maintain even 8” groups at 30 yards with my compound and I’m not comfortable hunting with that accuracy or lack there of I suppose. (Some people may hunt with that accuracy, I will not.) I’m not sure why as I’ve been to the local pro shop for suggestions and followed advice, practiced 6-8 months a year and it just didn’t get much better. So, I shot my grampas crossbow and decided to give it a go. With a crossbow I can once again hold 2” groups out to 30-35 yards and I will not shoot farther than that. 

I know for certain I’m not the only person that decided to go the crossbow route because they were not comfortable with their accuracy with a compound for whatever reason. And it doesn’t necessarily mean lack of practice. (Sometimes it does) I shot my compound weekly from June/July through January and just cannot regain the accuracy I had when I was younger. 

So, would you anti’s rather have people in the woods wounding 2-3 bucks a year, not punching their tag and continuing to hunt with a compound that they aren’t proficient with? Because I know that happens more than we hear about unfortunately. (I personally know of a “hunter”that wounded 3 nice bucks in 1 season with a compound and continued to hunt) Or would you rather have them take a good, comfortable, lethal shot on 1 buck and punch their tag for the year. I think we as sportsmen owe it to the deer to use a weapon that we’re comfortable using so long as it’s legal. Now, Let me hear it! don’t care and not sorry. 

Btw, I cannot wait to get in my stand tomorrow morning. Where I will be sitting all day, with my crossbow in my lap waiting for that big-bodied 10 point to come through. If it takes all day, I’ll be there. If it takes till Tuesday, I’ll be there. 

10/30/21 @ 8:50 PM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05

dude, if you do get one please post some pictures. I know I’m not the only one on here that would like to see them.

10/30/21 @ 8:16 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Dude, carry on,  who cares what the anti's think. 

Even though probably half the people are using crossbows, there is still a herd of deer to hunt. Who would have thunk??? Good luck everyone and be safe, this week should be awesome,  no matter what you use!

10/30/21 @ 8:01 PM
NEVER GIVE UP 2
NEVER GIVE UP 2
User since 6/7/10

Saw 3 doe this evening. Nothing chasing them they were just drifting threw. I had to hold myself back from shooting one at 12 yards. Maybe after the rut I will kill one.

10/30/21 @ 7:34 PM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21

Seen good activity this morning but the cameras say more activity at night. Probably game on when the temps drop early next week. Sat in a new stand this morning and had a shooter buck come through at what I thought looked 40 yards, a little far for what I practice at so let it go. When It got good and light shot the distance with the range finder turned out to be 32 yards. Maybe next time. That's hunting.

10/30/21 @ 7:28 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

I did'nt know shooting a bow made you elite and snobbish and a bunghole.I'll just stick to a gun.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 153 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE