LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

I'm starting to think the DNR actually hates deer...

6/14/18 @ 6:57 AM
INITIAL POST
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

They are giving out three free doe tags in many counties this year with each license. That means you can shoot up to eight deer between your bow and gun.

Unbelievable.

(Tried to attach the map, but can't do it. Counties include Shawano, Waupaca, Oconto, Green Lake, Marquette, Washington, Ozaukee, Grant, Vernon & Buffalo)

Displaying 16 to 30 of 46 posts
6/15/18 @ 6:53 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

What is interesting is that part of the deer study that was done by Kroll was that things should stay in place for 3 years and then assess where they're at  and continue every 3 years and re-access but they change everything year after year.

6/15/18 @ 4:10 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Percentage wise, the vast majority of the tags are for private. In some counties it is a 5 or even 6:1 for private to public tags.

6/15/18 @ 1:35 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I've actually been worried about the deer eating my whole forest.  Glad they put something in place.  

6/15/18 @ 11:08 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

Smiling from ear to ear, Drive up an hour further and shoot 5 or 6 and save mine. The DNR is remarkable

6/15/18 @ 9:18 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

LB- Like you say, public lands in these areas are hit especially hard. I hunt mostly public.

I shoot only what I need...haven't shot a doe in many years.

Part of my issue is just giving the tags away. If guys really need/want the meat, they will pay $3 per extra tag, and bingo- our "always broke" DNR can have some more money and maybe put a few more wardens in the field.

6/15/18 @ 9:14 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Farnorth - Yes, it was approved by the CDAC. Which means the people actually educated with facts on the topic rather than personal experience and opinions support the decision.

There's actually a 20 page document regarding the decision, rationale and goals of the plan. I'd suggest reading it before formulating irrational opinions.

6/15/18 @ 9:13 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

The NRB only differed from CDAC recommendations in three instances. The rest of them they agreed with.

https://dnr.wi.gov/About/NRB/2018/May/2018-05-2B2%20MODIFIED.pdf

6/15/18 @ 7:34 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Thump55 - if everyone just shoots what they can eat, there shouldn't be an issue.  If your land can handle taking out 8 antlerless, then by all means fill em.  We can't,  most public can't or shouldn't.  It's on the hunters to do the right thing.  just because they give the tags,  doesn't mean you have to shoot them.  If you want to please the DNR,  call in unused tags.  just saying.  Since I'm mr. controversial anyway,  I feel I can say that with out surprising anyone.

6/15/18 @ 7:08 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

LB gland to see your back.

6/14/18 @ 3:01 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
There are areas that justify the increase in antlerless permits. Quite a few areas in the farmland of central Wisconsin have strong population numbers and can support some antlerless harvest. Likewise in these farmland areas there is plenty of woodlands. A good friend who is a commercial logger sees first hand how difficult is becoming to have successful forest regeneration from deer overbrowsing. These areas can also support some harvest. Just because you have s tag doesn’t mean you have to fill them all. Public to private lands can see a great deal of deer density differences. The trend to harvest antlerless on public only and save the deer on private is being addressed with the separation of antlerless tags as either public or private. 
6/14/18 @ 1:56 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I'm in Marquette we got 4 free doe tags last year if I remember correctly.  Our area can support it.  I saw plenty of deer while hunting, but I don't think I even pulled the trigger.  I really can't remember if I got anything last year.

6/14/18 @ 1:34 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

You know, the DNR is not the one shooting the deer.  That is what we have done, not shoot the deer.  We are at a point again we need to start to take doe off the property.  In this photo, there are 27 deer.  I turkey hunting this field in the spring and in the evening you would see at least 20 deer a night. 

Even in the "earn a buck" days, we did not go gain busters shooting doe.  Shot enough doe to cover what we normally would harvest in bucks - 2-3 mature bucks per year. 

6/14/18 @ 12:11 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Fish - thought the site was getting a little boring. I was actually hoping everyone would have forgotten about what i said.  

6/14/18 @ 11:50 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Am I the only one who has seen a fairly drastic increase in the deer numbers in the past 3-4 years? This year in particular I feel like I'm seeing deer in every field at any time of the day. Last season we had doe and fawns on our cameras constantly and clocked 11+ bucks which is easily double what we have seen in prior years.

In 2015 there were ~2,000 less deer harvested compared to 2016, yet nearly 14,000 more tags were sold in 2015. In 2017 I believe the tag count was down another 2% yet 2,000 more deer were harvested. See a pattern?

Everything points to an increasing herd population that needs to be managed. I don't necessarily agree with how they decide to manage it, I would much rather see something similar to what Minnesota does and require bucks to be 4x4 to boost the buck population and decrease the doe population but the ratio of shooter bucks to doe in WI is so terrible that this isn't an option or everyone will be shooting doe.

6/14/18 @ 11:22 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
This is an absolute joke, the DNR here makes me sick. No other states does anything close to this.  Hopefully people are wise enough to only shoot what their land can handle and what THEY can eat in a year.  I believe the venison donation program should go away.  Its a program created by the DNR to get people to shoot more deer and not feel guilty about it.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 46 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE