MORE
Ice Fishing

Inline reels

12/11/18 @ 9:23 PM
INITIAL POST
1jackpot
1jackpot
User since 8/23/10

Can someone tell me the application for using inline reels. Under what fishing conditions are they an advantage over spinning reels? Water depth? Species?

I've always used spinning reels but I normally fish shallower Mississippi back waters. I now will be fishing crappie and walleye in deeper (16-20ft) of water.

Are they good for jigging? Dead sticking? Tip downs?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Keep a tight line!

Displaying 31 to 45 of 62 posts
2/8/19 @ 10:27 AM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

For you guys with drag issues, I would suggest pulling off the reel handle and star drag to see what your drag disks and washer look like. If it’s a carbon drag washer, you should be able to make it silky smooth (I don’t recall which reels do and do not have a carbon drag washer, but the CGIs I have do). Make sure there are no burrs on any of the mating surfaces of the drag disk/washers (polish if need be) and lube lightly with drag grease. If you want to take it a step further, add a coil spring underneath the star drag to get a finer range of adjustment and keep it from backing out on its own.

This might seem like a lot of work, but you can make those cheap inlines perform very well. I haven’t had any issues with the CGIs since doing this.

2/7/19 @ 5:19 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Herb2 the cgi is still available but it is now called the descent.

2/7/19 @ 1:02 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Tr I agree CGI #8 had good drags, the problem is they are no longer sold except from some Ebay etc. Some of the current brands think only price and skimp on a drag system. The 13 brand tripled the price, 100 dollars a reel is steep for how #8 works in comparison!!! As far as backing do not need any, wind sometimes blows line off reel as is.

2/6/19 @ 10:27 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15
DeadHead 13 and buzziest ditch the junky frabill reels frabill equals junk. I have no drag issues with my cgis or free falls spooled with 3 and 2 pound test. The only break offs I've had has been on the hook set when a pike swallows it. There's no need for backing unless its braid. Lake king why would you fill the spool half full with electrical tape. That will cause poor line lay and it adds weight to the reel.
2/6/19 @ 12:54 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I've never used a backing on my inline reels. No need since it comes straight off the spool if using fluoro. With mono you might want some backing to increase the spool diameter since there is more memory there I guess. I put 50 yds of fluoro on each of my inlines since that's what the spools come in, end up having to replace it on my main pole half way through the season due to changing lures so much (actually I just changed it last weekend, hard to believe the season is already half over almost!)

2/6/19 @ 12:19 PM
Buzzie
Buzzie
User since 8/17/08

Interesting topic.   I have purchased a few straight lines this year.   They are in the tool kit  but having a though time getting used to them.  I like the option to back reel and can't hit the button quick enough on the Frabill 261.    At least once an outing this year I have been busted off.  Drag is also hard for me to get dialed in.    I do like being able to get the bait down quicker.  

2/4/19 @ 5:02 PM
DeadHead13
User since 12/18/18

So are you suppose to line the reel with a backing of some kind? I have one inline with only 2lb test on it and it seems like its a big reel for such line. What should I spool first if that is the better way to approach it? It's not a free fall just a frabil inline. I am thinking about getting a free fall possibly.

2/4/19 @ 8:10 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

If anyone was wondering, Scheels will price match Reeds (or any online store). They actually had their radioactive pickle's on sale for $50 so they gave me that price on the ghost. I don't think I'll find them any cheaper than that.

1/31/19 @ 12:51 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Reeds has the freefall ghost listed for $55, looks like that is their base price which is a steal. Gonna swing by Scheels before the weekend to see if they'll price match it. That price makes the freefall ghost the best bang for your buck on the market.

1/30/19 @ 1:45 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

I have 2 of the CGI reels on medium action rods with braid to a swivel with a flouro leader they are my go to rods I use them for whitefish walleye white bass and panfish. I use them in anywhere from 6-70fow. I like them in the deep water fishing whitefish because they get down to  70ft way faster than a spinning reel 

1/28/19 @ 1:22 AM
rmm1035
User since 1/4/13
to me the in-line reels feel smoother when reeeling in fish and is faster getting to the bottom 
1/24/19 @ 8:14 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Well, u are just damn good, Mr Seguar, lol. I understand what you are saying. I actually catch 80-90 percent of my ice fish with spinning reels. But on tough days in shallow water, the inlines outfish the spinning reels

1/24/19 @ 7:42 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I have never once tried an inline reel nor have I felt the need to try one. What am I doing wrong that I catch all these fish and dont have any issues necessitating one of these? Everyone else has problems with spinning reels,  why not me?

1/24/19 @ 4:32 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I guarantee you he knows more about reels then any one of us. If it was so great they wouldn't sell it $40 cheaper! I talked to 13 Fishing about returning it for repair $15 plus parts and shipping. Probably not cost effective we agreed.

I tried the Ghost on the 23" SUL Tickle Stick, didn't hold up well at all.

The Black Betty Free Fall is my got to reel, been using one since they came out and it's still going strong. I have one on three different rods now for different application. Night and day difference!

1/24/19 @ 4:28 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I ended up getting Black Betty Freefall Ghost.  Full disclaimer, I haven't used it much yet, but I love that reel.  Very smooth.  The trigger mechanism worked great for me.  I tried the drag and thought that it was very good for panfish.  

Hopefully I'll have more to say about it after I tag a whitie or two on it this weekend.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 62 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE