SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Youth hunt

9/18/12 @ 9:56 PM
INITIAL POST
bkroll
User since 12/5/11
I feel this youth hunt is a sign of our times. Kids now a days are afforded the same if not better opportunitys as adults. What happened to wait your turn like the rest of us had to. Adults spend all the money on hunting and do the scouting so kids can go out a month and a half early and shoot bucks. I think this hunt should be doe only. I may sound cold hearted but I feel very strongly about this, I have 23 nephews so it's not like I don't love kids I do. It's just that I waited my turn, so should they. It just seems every one caters to the kids. Thoughts?
Displaying 31 to 45 of 279 posts
10/3/18 @ 11:45 PM
Bobber86
User since 1/17/06

Youth Hunt coming up this weekend.  I know the youth have to wear blaze orange, just wondering if the mentor has to wear blaze orange?

10/16/17 @ 10:07 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Wow congrats Jimmer!!!  I didn't get a buck that big until I was in my 20's.

10/15/17 @ 8:15 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

The good luck nut sack pic.  Lol

Youth hunt photo by the Jimmer
10/15/17 @ 8:13 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

We had a good youth opener with our two hunters. A good bud of mine and I had my 12 yr old daughter and his 14 yr old son out. The weather was not good, but my girl connected in the morning. She spotted the buck and did pretty much everything on her own except for me stopping him. This is her 2nd year, she was lucky enough to get a real nice 9 point last year. She's lucky at seeing them, and solid so far at closing the deal. 

Bud's boy had seen enough; he's helped drag her deer two years straight and dropped the hammer on his first buck in the evening. He looked at me funny that morning when I told him to toss that nutsack over his shoulder and that it was good luck. He's a believer now! Lol.

We had 2 proud and happy dads and 2 proud and happy kids. Good times. 

SW WI

Youth hunt photo by the Jimmer
10/11/17 @ 12:23 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

well maybe he will kill it in the regular gun season.  

My oldest isn't even interested in hunting with a gun.  he wants to kill with his bow.  I asked why,  he says I shoot my bow all the time,  why would i want to use a gun?  I just said good point.  I can't argue with him.

10/11/17 @ 8:44 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Congrats to all who had fun and success! 

We had a great time, (other than the rain all day Saturday), but no kill this youth season.                     Didn't see one of the bucks on the hit list. Other than Ratty Eight. Almost got him with the truck pulling in friday night. Now that would have put a bit of a damper on the weekend. The deer just weren't moving? The bear were moving tho. Had a great time like always. 

I think my son was jinxed by all the negative voodoo conversation here. Lol..

10/9/17 @ 10:32 AM
mudbucket
PRO MEMBER User since 12/21/04

Had a great weekend  with my little guy, my dad, and my uncle. Saturday hunted last 2 hrs before dark. Seen 5 while in the stand, got down little bit early so we could check the paths on the way in. We get to the fourwheeler path and sure enough a doe and fawn coming right to us. We stayed in the woods and I told him whenever he was ready go ahead. They got to about 50 yards and she turned broadside, I'm waiting then I seen the fawn seek out from behind her. Now shes all clear about 8 minutes left and NOTHING , they walk off into the woods no shot. I wait a minute check my watch still have a couple minutes he's shaking like a leaf. Ask him what happened. First he didn't like the front angle shot. Then the fawn got behind her, which I didn't see right away.  And finally, from his lower hight and the deer being on a slight rise in terrain  he was not sure of his 'WHAT'S BEYOND '. I asked him to step off how far they were and knelt down to his vantage point, and sure enough he would have been shooting upward angle. Very proud of his decision. Sunday morning saw a big doe with 2 fawns and this yearling by herself. 1 shot and boy was he happy. He's always helped build stands and cut trees. This is his second deer, first since taking hunter's safety. We talked A LOT about TABK and other safety rules this weekend. I think he's hooked. I hope everyone had a great weekend and good luck the rest of the year. He did have an orange sweatshirt on before the pic.

Youth hunt photo by mudbucket
10/9/17 @ 9:08 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Casedog and 1fowl - both great POV and stories.  Thanks for sharing.

I think my son "get's" it.  All the work into stands, food plots, scouting, cameras etc.  And boy is he patient.  We had 27 deer come by this weekend including 4 legal bucks.  I don't care what he shoots - but he chose not the pull the trigger at all.  Last night we had 2 bucks fighting in front of us for 25 minutes.  Very cool to watch.  He kept on saying which one he thought would win like we were betting on a boxing match.  The one buck was actually able to roll the other deer over.  Mother nature at its finest. 

While we/he did not harvest a deer, still a very successful weekend.  I am sure I will look back when I am old and gray and think about the times him and I were in a stand together. 

10/9/17 @ 8:04 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Alcrumpler...huh?

10/7/17 @ 10:24 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11
So this year my daughter wakes me up because she is so excited(( gotta love the sound of your 11 year old daughter at 4:30 am saying wake up daddy it's time to go hunting= priceless)) I get up and it's pouring raining and even some thunder and lightning so I said go back to bed for another hour and let's check the weather so of course she couldn't go back to bed(( but I sure enjoyed the extra hour of sleep)) so we wait out the thunder and lightning and finally start walking to our blind right at 7 am and we get 50 yards in to the woods and a fawn crosses in front of us so we stop and get ready, another fawn walks across the 4 wheel trail and she is all ready for a shot when momma joins the 2 fawns- so here we are only 50 yards from the trailer and have 3 deer in shooting range!! Momma is doing her head thing and starting to stomp!! I ask my daughter if she wants to shoot and she says I wanna just watch and see if maybe the dad is coming so we wait in the ready!! The fawns start heading to the food plot but momma is really trying to figure us out with her eyes just pinned on us and stomping away!! Finally she gives up and heads to the food plot with the babies!! So I ask my daughter why she didn't shoot and she said she just wanted to wait for daddy and I said that is great that you wanted to wait for the buck but did u notice how that all went down?? She says what do you mean- I say you just saw how deer typically act and move!! The mom sends the fawns out first as a way to protect herself and then she scans for trouble and uses foot stomping and slight mouth blowing(( although I was pleasantly surprised she didn't blow she only stomped a few times))to alarm the fawns that something is not quite right?? So we continue to our elevated ground blind over looking a very small food plot in the thick of the woods and have been here since 7 and I just find it ironic that me and my daughter are talking about what we learned from our little encounter and in the same way them fawns just got a lesson from mommy that they should look both ways when crossing 4 wheeler trails-- I'm teaching my daughter and the deer are teaching each other so considering the rain it's been a very worthwhile morning!! We have been up here just bonding for over 3 hours and I know them 3 deer are within a couple hundred yards of us so I asked my daughter if she regrets not shooting one of them deer and she says" I kind of wish I would have shot the big old momma deer but I was just enjoying watching her look at us and stomp her feet" I asked her if you would shot her if she comes to the plot and she says YES!! I say what's the difference from now until then her response-- I really want to get my first deer-- I say ok its totally up to you on what you shoot but I'm glad that you just watched them because you learn so much by just watching them!! Man what a smart girl and I agree that girls mature much faster than boys!! Stay tuned-- hopefully my next post is of a harvest and thank god for these blinds dry and comfortable and able to move and whisper freely!! Best of luck to all and looking forward to 3 more hunts!! Casey
10/7/17 @ 9:30 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

Well I sure am glad this forum went back to being civil and I enjoyed the last few posts very much!! My daughter got hooked last year(at 10 years old) over a little basket 6 pointer that had us pinned at 40 yards broadside while I was getting her some hand warmers!! I was able to get the gun up and she was able to get it in thscope(( my heart was beating out of my chest and she had the shakes going on)) the little buck knew we were there but he didn't bolt out of there-- he just took a fast walk to the northeast!! We had 1 last opening for a shot and my girl was calm and ready to go!! That buck never made it to that last opening as he slowly vanished straight north instead of northeast out of sight and never to be seen again!! I will never forget them frantic 5 minutes but the important thing was my daughter was immediately hooked on hunting and no we didn't fire a single round!! Now she is consumed by it and she actually woke me up this morning-lol-one happy daddy!! Casey

10/6/17 @ 4:22 PM
alcrumpler
User since 7/19/09
Ok story about a little boy lived on a hill near me comes down in spring still talkin ice fishing so i say think your mom would let you hunt an sure enough youth hunt rolls around we are out in the woods did the hole 9 threw the year to get ready for it from ice fishing to hunting the talk changed opening day nothing still smiles last hr of last day bang he get one dont matter points size nothing the smile was so big but what got me is he says now i got steaks for out on the ice this year so mom can stop asking if i ate anything i laughed an some for mom an i .so even though they are young. Some may see the big picture.priceless day if i do say.
10/6/17 @ 11:56 AM
Mt Dew
User since 6/23/01

My daughter turned 12 two weeks after the youth hunt.  My point was the weather was nice and she had fun. Now she would not miss deer hunting for anything. If her first time out she would have been cold and miserable she may not have wanted to hunt again.

10/6/17 @ 10:53 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

LOL, "magically turns 12 then they are mature enough".

Naw,  730 days later, 24 months or 104 weeks, slice it how you want....no, no big deal at all. 

10/6/17 @ 9:41 AM
Mt Dew
User since 6/23/01

I'm a big bowhunter and at one time did not like the youth hunt. Then I took my daughter out 2 years ago. She got a doe, the weather was nice (not freezing, with blowing snow) she is now addicted to deer hunting. She talks about it all year. My point is if the 1st time she went out would be opening day of the regular season she maybe so miserable and cold and not want to hunt again. 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 279 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE