SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

winter deer kill

4/1/14 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
anyone have any ideas or stories of deer kill off yet, snow and weather is crazy. There talking more snow for this weekend April 4th - 5th. Gonna be ugly for the deer.
Displaying 11 to 20 of 69 posts
4/7/19 @ 10:10 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I don’t believe I can recall a time when we’ve seen more deer than what we’ve been seeing lately in Vilas county. 

Saw around 100+ deer in a field near Sugarcamp.  

Near Sayner they are everywhere too.  Have around 5 that have been hanging around the cabin too.  

Despite the winter, they seem to have stronger numbers than I’ve seen in quite some time. 

3/23/19 @ 9:43 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Still a fair amount of snow in Mosinee today . Anywhere the suns not on all day  .

3/13/19 @ 8:27 AM
woodturner
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/04
3/12/19 @ 6:56 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

I've officially been triggered!  lol  First time ever,,really!

3/7/19 @ 2:14 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06
This winter has been bad, but deer not being in fields as much is more a function of genetics than weather.  Deer's metabolism changes by late winter.  They mainly eat tree buds and things like that, and their metabolism slows way down.  Every year come February sightings in fields go down.  It's a survival mechanism.  If they needed ground food to survive winters they'd be extinct by now.  
3/7/19 @ 2:05 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
Ok let me correct my statement, there have not been any deer "grazing " in the fields. By the way it's spelled " wolves not wolfs"!!
3/7/19 @ 12:31 AM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

Deer don't browse in fields, that's grazing. The ice storm we got in early Feb. took down a lot of tree tops providing browse. At this point it has been tough on deer for 3 weeks. If we get a crust on the snow then the wolfs and coyotes will have a field day. At this point they are struggling to move through the snow also. 

Im in Oneida county where we have about 38".

3/6/19 @ 9:48 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Hate to tell you CWS but there were no deer browsing in any fields by us in Forest County since maybe early January. After the ice storm up there the crust was so hard they couldn't get through it and then in the next 10 days they got 30" of snow. We have close to 3' on the ground and more to the NW with a lot of winter left unless we get a big warm up The DNR winter severity index is already to moderate at the end of Feb. 

3/6/19 @ 3:19 PM
CWScoach
User since 6/7/18

It's not the greatest out there right now but the deer are doing just fine.  There are some weak ones dying but that is good.  Any deer that is dying already from the winter had predisposed problems that we do not need getting spread.  They went into February very healthy as most were still eating in fields.  There is plenty of browse which is what they prefer now anyways in the woods.  Unless there are wolves the deep snow is just fine, keeps them insulated at night.  These rain to ice to snow storms are what I would worry about a heck of a lot more than anything else.  

3/5/19 @ 10:56 AM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Was up at our cabin in Forest County this past weekend and the snow is about 34" in the hardwoods. Took a 60 mile snowmobile ride seen very little deer sign and where we did they are in the swamps. The few deer we seen are having a very tough time getting around except when on the snowmobile trail. No beaten down trails like years ago so the deer are basically breaking trail most of the time, it doesn't look good.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 69 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE