SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Kayak Fishing Discussion/questions

3/16/11 @ 3:51 PM
INITIAL POST
RiverFreek
User since 8/26/05
Haven't seen this form on this site yet so hope it works and maybe get others interested. This is to discuss and ask questions about kayak fishing, gear, and set-ups.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 303 posts
5/11/15 @ 5:06 PM
brook011
brook011
User since 4/20/12
People that kayak fish for salmon - what kind of rod/reels are you using? The only good stuff I could find so far seems to be the Talora rods and Tekota reels. Just wondering what my options are Smile
5/10/15 @ 10:23 AM
Pike man15
Pike man15
User since 1/15/15
Me and my mom are looking to get 2 kayaks for fishing but we are not in the best money situation so we need something on the cheaper side
5/9/15 @ 3:15 PM
QDad
User since 1/2/12
I'm looking for something like the item in the link below. Essentially, I want something that can hold three or four size 3600 boxes that I can fit in my kayak past my feet in the bow. If my measurements are right, this one should fit nicely. http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/products/124-3600-size-stowaway-rack-organizer.aspx I'm thinking I would "mount" this with some velcro and then use a bungee stretched across the face to secure them boxes. Before I order one, I wanted to see if anyone had another product they could recommend.
5/3/15 @ 6:13 PM
brook011
brook011
User since 4/20/12
I'll definitely try to make it to that paddlefest.
5/3/15 @ 5:58 PM
SmallieReleaser
PRO MEMBER User since 6/24/01
In SE WI check out Laacke and Joys. Also, do look at the Wilderness Systems Tarpons, Rides and Threshers. Top sit on tops put there. Don't put to much junk on your yak. Keep it simple until you know exactly what you need, which usually is less than you think. Also, if you can transport, longer yaks are better. Don't be cheap with the paddle. Lightest most expensive you can afford!!!! A few ounces will make a big difference. Next Saturday at Noon I will be doing a kayak fishing 101 talk at the Laacke and Joys Paddlefest at Noon. Will also be touching on some great kayak fishing locations in SE WI. Feel free to message me.
5/3/15 @ 5:06 PM
brook011
brook011
User since 4/20/12
Are there any places in SE Wisconsin to try out a Hobie PA and Outback? Looking to get an idea of the size between the models and maybe test drive. Thanks!
5/1/15 @ 9:09 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
I'm joining the kayak crew. I just ordered an Ascend FS128T from Bass Pro. After a lot of research I settled on this kayak because of good reviews, affordability, and the amount of fishing features already installed. It's 12'8" long and 33 inches wide. It has plenty of rod holders and storage and it comes with a 3-level adjustable seat, anchor trolley, and pull up strap. I also picked up a depth finder and scupper hole tranducer mount. Anything you guys can recommend as a must have item or setup for kayak fishing?
5/1/15 @ 12:05 AM
doorman
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
I've used both rivets and wellnuts on mine. Rivets are nice because you have a smaller hole but you have to watch the thickness of the material where you're using them. Sometimes the application is too thick for them to be used. I've had to order the longer wellnuts for some uses, but they're not that expensive. I used silicone for sealing with no issues. I'm still a bit of a novice but so far I've had no issues.
4/30/15 @ 9:51 PM
QDad
User since 1/2/12
So, I would like to install a few things on my kayak (paddle keeper, extra cleat, etc.). Is there any real difference between using nuts and bolts or rivets? Also, is using a sealant on the holes I'll end up drilling a must? If so, what should I use? I'm also thinking of installing some straps of velcro on the inside so that I can secure a net and some other gear. Does anyone have an adhesive that they would recommended?
4/13/15 @ 7:02 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
1. I just leash. Floats don't do much good if you don't see it happen or you are busy collecting other stuff because you turtled and your rods or whatever float out to see 2. Not sure if I can post other sites due to site policy, google search will easily find them though. 3. I have a Leverage landing net. Actually own 2 and have one for sale. Check out the picture. They are designed to be used with one hand. They fold in half and you can flip the net open with one hand as well.
4/13/15 @ 5:49 PM
QDad
User since 1/2/12
Thanks for the suggestion! A few more questions: 1) Do you find leashes to be more effective on paddles and fishing poles as opposed to some sort of float wrap? 2) Does anyone know of websites that are good for kayak fishing information? 3) I'm going to be looking for a new net that I can use when fishing in the kayak. My two concerns when selecting a net is the ability to easily stow it and ease of use when one hand is holding a fishing pole. I'm not sure about getting a more traditional style net because, if possible, I would like to not use one of the rod holders behind my seat to store it. I like how Frabill's Hiber Nets collapse as I could easily rig up something to store it inside the kayak, but there's no way to use it with just one free hand. Anyone know of anything similar that can be "opened" with one hand? Should I consider something like a trout landing net? Any other suggestions?
4/12/15 @ 9:17 AM
Wildkat
User since 6/21/01
I second that Scotty. Simple and easy.
4/11/15 @ 9:01 PM
Hot Rod
User since 6/21/01
I use the Scotty or third choice. I don't think it matters as much as a paddle leash.
4/11/15 @ 9:43 AM
QDad
User since 1/2/12
This will be the first in a series of posts from the first time owner of a fishing kayak. Smile Over the winter I bought an Old Town Vapor 10 for fishing and I'm starting to get it ready. One of the things that it did not come with was a paddle holder, so I'm looking to install one. I see there are a few different style of paddle holders and I would like feedback from others as to what style they like best. I'm looking at these different styles: http://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Bungee-Paddle-Keepers-Holders/dp/B00OZLI4UI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428755624&sr=8-5&keywords=kayak+paddle+holderBungee http://www.amazon.com/SEA-LECT-Designs-Folding-Paddle-Clip/dp/B004W4TNKI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1428755624&sr=8-7&keywords=kayak+paddle+holderFolding C clips http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-136-Paddle-Clip/dp/B0062BXBVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428755624&sr=8-2&keywords=kayak+paddle+holder single clip Anyone have thoughts on which is a better one to use?
4/5/15 @ 6:47 PM
JDT
User since 6/7/14
Done a little shore fishing on the Wolf River near Fremont,WI. Going to be out in myjonboat this week after work. Walleys are now spawning in the river. I will also be getting my Native Mariner out of its hiding place and begin my season of peddeling. I did well last year out of Kewaunee putting a dozen or so nice king salmon in the freezer. Wife and I have eaten all of it and are now ready for more. Thinking about trolling around the river mouths this weekend for browns or steelhead or whatever bites. My kayak is tricked out pretty nice with lights , locator, and rod holders, and a drysuit to wear. As far a trolling inland lakes where motor troling is not allowed, the game warden stated it is legal. Another warden saw me trolling on Lake Emily in Portage County last summer and said nothing. Didn't check my info or even talk to me. Years ago I read a couple of articles promoting row trolling in Northern Wisconsin lakes in magazines like In-Fisherman. I suspect it won't be a problem until the sport gets more popular and us trolling becomes much more common place. I live in the Amherst area, near Stevens Point. I am 50 years old and married. Not too much into wasting my time drinking beer though I have been known to have a cold one after a long day peddiing. It would be fun to connect / fish with other kayakers with similar set-ups and interests. I will be spending a lot of time this Spring on the Wolf River pursuing Walley and whitebass. I would also like to spend some time on the Wisconsin River near or in Point trolling for Musky and Pike.
Displaying 61 to 75 of 303 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE