SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Kayak Fishing Discussion/questions

3/16/11 @ 3:51 PM
INITIAL POST
RiverFreek
User since 8/26/05
Haven't seen this form on this site yet so hope it works and maybe get others interested. This is to discuss and ask questions about kayak fishing, gear, and set-ups.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 303 posts
4/9/18 @ 2:10 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

Believe me, if I'm dragging 5 kings, I'm not moving very fast. It's a pain after you get that 4th one on the stringer and very much hoping #5 comes fairly quickly. 

As far as the harbor this weekend - as the great Shaggy once said "It wasn't me." Lol. I usually try my best to avoid boat traffic when I'm on the water. I understand how hard it is for a boat with a spread to try to maneuver so I'll try my best to go around. I felt bad Thursday night up in De Pere when I tripled up on walleyes in the yak and didn't realize I had a boat trailing me. As soon as I noticed, with 2 of 3 fish landed and working on the 3rd, I tried my best to pull it into the shallows and let the boat go around without trying to disrupt their fishing too much. I was very apologetic. It's a give and take out there and we're all trying to catch fish. At the same time, let's not try to push poor kayak into the wall either. As far as being responsible for my partner - that's on them. I'm generally out there on my own - I like fishing by myself and will go out of my way to avoid most people (kayakers included). 

Attaching a few pics of Thursday-Friday trip that yielded 35 eyes from 830-130... Had 2 triples in 10 minutes that I was only able to land 2. 

Kayak Fishing Discussion/questions photo by markrazzy
4/8/18 @ 12:03 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

Mark has a bunch of miles. You might not catch him even if hes dragging 5 kings behind him Lol!

3/29/18 @ 3:29 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I'd look into Ascend Kayaks if you're looking for a solid rig at a budget.  I have the 128T which is out of your budget, but the 10T or 12T are a little closer to $500 and have good reviews. They are made by Tracker and Bass Pro.  I lost a lid on the highway and they sent me a new one free of charge.

3/25/18 @ 1:23 PM
the eggman
User since 9/6/09

I have the Hobie Outback and love it. I know they are pricey but I got a used one on EBay for a decent price. Love the pedal drive when trolling and it is quite relaxing leaving your hands clear. Have fun whatever you decide.

3/25/18 @ 11:04 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

If I didn't have a budget,  I would get a Hobie!

The pedal drive would make fishing so much easier, mobile, and cover more water.

Big Mac 

3/24/18 @ 7:58 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

CDS, if you have any questions about the Revo, shoot me a message. They aren't the most stable Hobie (obviously), but are built for speed and it's a great fishing vessel for me on Lake Michigan. However, it seems most of my "Hobie" buddies prefer a pro angler or maybe an outback. My 2 biggest negatives on the Revo are the lack of space and lack of places to put the kings that I catch (have to put them on the stringer). But being lightweight (70 lbs or so), I can carry it around pretty easy and cartop it. 

I know two guys with Predator PDLs and they love it. If I was in the market right now, I'd really take a look at it. Little bit heavier and jury is still out on how bullet proof the pedal drive is (only been on the market for a couple years). I can say my mirage drive has pedaled 1000s of miles on the big pond with no issues yet. 

3/23/18 @ 8:59 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Yakers

Thanks for your ideas, advice, & help.

Big Mac 

3/23/18 @ 2:21 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I’m a long time Old Town fan. Twenty four years, still have every kayak, keep em for friends and family to use. Forget the eye test. Some kayaks look awesome but have cheap plastic.  Especially avoid Sun Dolphin and Pelican. Old town has the best plastic by far for the price they charge, virtually indestructible. We use them on  class 3 whitewater all the time. Check out the Vapor 10 around $400

3/22/18 @ 8:32 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

To kayak fishing people;

I'm looking at buying a mid-priced (under  $500.00) fishing kayak. 

What would you experienced yak fishers recommend? 

I would mainly fish cranberry ponds, small lakes, ponds, rivers.

Thanks, 

Big Mac 

2/18/17 @ 5:40 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Reba's Daddy,

I would take a hard look at an Old Town Guide 119 canoe based on what you said your dad would need. It is an 11 foot long solo canoe with a comfortable molded seat. Why the canoe? For someone with back/leg problems a canoe is much easier to get in and out of than the small hole in the top of a kayak. The seat in this canoe sits lower, much like a kayak, which adds stability. It is also a couple inches wider than most kayaks, which will give him more room and add stability. I have one and love it! 

The main complaint for this canoe is the seat being too 'level'...take the back screws out of the seat brackets, install 2" bushings and longer screws which lowers the back of the seat to a more 'bucket seat' and keeps you from feeling like you're going to slide out of the seat.

There are also entire websites and forums dedicated to modifying the Guide 119/Discovery 119 for fishing. I still paddle mine with a kayak paddle and switch to a canoe paddle for tight maneuvers while fishing. It is a great boat and I even take my Labrador with me in mine. 550 pound weigh capacity and tons of room! I bought mine on sale for $450 at Dick's Sporting Goods 3 years ago. I'm bigger and taller than your dad and even with my lab in the front feel 100% comfortable.

1/21/17 @ 8:51 AM
coosabass2011
coosabass2011
PRO MEMBER User since 12/22/08

Hi, I've posted this already on the Trading Post section.  I have a 2012 Jackson Coosa for sale, I'm looking to switch to a newer Jackson Cuda.  If you are interested or have an idea on trading something please let me know.  I also have a Madriver Adventure 14 canoe for sale or trade, that one is not posted yet.  Thanks!  Ernie

9/17/16 @ 7:51 PM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14

Bob P.,

Not exactly sure on the hull configuration of the Predators as I have a Prowler 13 by Ocean Kayak( Old Towne's sister company) which are both owned by Johnson Outdoors. I have paddled mine in moving water which happened to be a VERY TIGHT stream and it handled fine. Of course, a shorter boat,(10') , would be even more maneuverable, like being able to spin a 180 in two strokes, but will also be slower, and you will give up some room also. 

RUTABAGA'S CANOECOPIA is THE premier paddle sport show here in the Midwest, and you can at least check out boats that the store carries. Plenty to drool over there, and decent show prices, too. Another plus is often paddlers will bring boats they are looking to sell, so you just may find a sweet deal in the parking lot. 

You may also want to check at ROCKTOWN, and also paddling.net for used boats. 

9/17/16 @ 5:26 PM
LotusNMo
User since 9/21/08

I haven't seen if the design has changed, but I bought a predator 11 years ago that's still goin strong. Every 3 or $400 yak I've tried suck compared to it. Hundreds or trips and hundreds of yards of concrete it's been dragged across and the hill is holding up fine. Not to big not to small  and I can fit a lot in it/strap to the top if I'm doin a camping trip.

no cons I can think of since it fufills my fishing needs with the space. I've never used the rod holder tho. Also haven't been in small waters my but it handles big lakes and rivers well

9/17/16 @ 3:10 PM
Bob P.
User since 8/8/07

Doing a lot of research right now for a purchase next spring.  Was wondering if anyone here has experience with the OT Predators? Pro's / Con's?? Other suggestions welcome also. Will mainly be used on mid to small sized streams.  Also, has anyone here attended Canoeacoppia in Madison? Held in March i believe, put on by Rutabaga.

Thanks,

Bob P.

6/30/16 @ 5:35 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02

A little late to Blue's question but.... I'd agree with Coosa in that you won't get much for $250-350. That said, the Field and Stream Eagle Talon is probably the best of the cheap boats available routinely on sale for $400 give or take at Dick's. I had one, it's not a bad platform especially at that price though you'll want to upgrade the seat. Folks like to recommend the Perception Pescador. I don't like them. They're fast but not very stable. The Pescador Pro is a different animal though and are stable enough to stand in with a little practice and has a seat very similar to the Coosa/Cuda

Those Coosa yaks are nice, especially for moving water! The HD version was on my short list and was a close second after paddling it. I ended up with a Feelfree Lure, everything just felt right with that boat.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 303 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE