MORE
General Discussion

Birds

6/4/05 @ 7:53 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
If you like watching birds or have any comments about a cool bird in your yard or something, this would be a good place to discuss anything to do with birds.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 7,031 posts
4/24/24 @ 7:31 AM
Bjreinke
User since 4/8/20
A few from the yard yesterday...4/23/24
Birds photo by Bjreinke
Birds photo by Bjreinke
Birds photo by Bjreinke
4/23/24 @ 5:33 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Lots of small birds in the yard this afternoon.  Red-breasted and white breasted nuthatches, chickadees, goldfinches, house finches, and finally had a few white-throated sparrows show up.  They are going through seed like crazy.

pics of white-throated sparrow, house finch, goldfinch.
Birds photo by SuspendedMusky
4/22/24 @ 6:43 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Here’s some shots of the dove nest or her at least sitting in the nest 7 feet away from the robin nest.
Birds photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
4/22/24 @ 2:04 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
Just came back from a turkey hunting trip in Grant County. One of the birds I miss the most around here (Washington County) are Meadowlarks. Just love their song and we saw them often growing up on our family farm. Heard and saw numerous Meadowlarks every day in Grant County. Still quite a bit of CRP and grasslands in Grant County and I know that is what birds like Meadowlarks need for nesting. Also saw several bluebirds. Hard to beat a day in the Spring turkey woods watching/listening to all the different birds sing. 
4/22/24 @ 9:48 AM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
One of our fellow LL'ers pointed out that the pic I posted yesterday was not a grackle but actually a Rusty Blackbird.  After looking up Rusty Blackbird, reading about its ID description (color, slightly curved bill), typical locations found (wooded swamps, same habitat I photographed it in), etc., he is correct.  That had me look back at the "grackle" photo I posted on 4-18-24 and examine that.  I believe now that bird is actually a Brewer's Blackbird, based on its bill shape (straight bill) and where I photographed it (large, expansive grassland).  So, I appreciated the feedback for sure.

Pics of Rusty and Brewer's blackbird pics and range maps.  One thing I learned in looking up Rusty Blackbird is that the population has declined around 90% over the last 40 years.
4/21/24 @ 6:42 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
While I was walking through the wetlands earlier today, I came across this single grackle.  It seemed a bit lost, almost like it was looking for his buddies.
4/21/24 @ 3:37 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
These guys come closer and closer as a spring goes on. They come and watch me work in the yard. They eat bugs that I turn up. Nice coloration on the head of this guy. He did turn a couple times and it looked really neat, but every time I snapped the picture, he turned his head to the right, the last pic is taken off. Soon, I’ll be dive bombing my squirrels to keep them away from their nest. And the yard.
4/21/24 @ 2:56 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
and a couple pics of sleeping blue-winged teal
4/21/24 @ 2:54 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
A few pics from today and one from late yesterday.  Turkey, Trumpeter Swan, Ring-necked ducks.
4/21/24 @ 1:02 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10
Found my turkey, as my hubby was out hunting them!! Also, got a sassy blue jay.
Birds photo by ice queen
Birds photo by ice queen
Birds photo by ice queen
4/21/24 @ 7:48 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Most birds roost in trees at night.  Cling to a limb and sleep. Nests are for laying eggs, incubating eggs, rearing young, and feeding young.  Nests are for reproduction purposes, not for sleeping.
4/21/24 @ 6:18 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
My wife came up with this question this morning. Do all bird's nest at night? Where do they go? You would think that you would see nests all over!
4/20/24 @ 6:44 PM
setterjack
setterjack
PRO MEMBER User since 1/18/07
This little bird is not camera shy.
Inches away! Pine Siskin I think 
Birds photo by setterjack
4/20/24 @ 6:19 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Redwing coming in. Phone photos looking bad. 
4/20/24 @ 6:08 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
On the drive home this morning from looking for waterfowl, I spotted a hawk sitting in a tree inside the forest edge.  I turned around and went back, stopping on the side of the county highway and had time to get one quick photo through the tree branches (not the sharpest pic) before the bird flew off.  As it flew away through the trees, I knew based on its wing/tail shape it was not in the Accipiter group (Cooper's Hawk, Northern Goshawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk), but was one of the hawks in the Buteo group.  After initially comparing the photo to internet images, I was debating between an immature red-shouldered hawk or a young broad-winged hawk.  I am now fairly confident it is a broad-winged hawk.  That would be the first time I have ever photographed one of those.

Regarding backyard birds, I am still waiting to see the migrating white-throated sparrows, white-crowned sparrows, towhees, and yellow-rumped warblers.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 7,031 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE