SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Yamaha vs Mercury outboard

11/30/17 @ 10:41 PM
INITIAL POST
froztundra
User since 11/30/17

I'm looking to buy a new 18.5 ft Lund boat and I noticed they all come with Mercury outboard motors (I think Brunswick owns both companies). I currently have a 2001 Lund with a Yamaha 80 HP that I will be giving to my son.  The Yamaha motor has been great and I would like a Yamaha (150HP) on the new boat. I would like some opinions and feedback on which motor to get. (or if I can even get a Yamaha outboard on a new Lund). I welcome any ideas or opinions, Thanks!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 101 posts
3/12/18 @ 9:21 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Did some research on YouTube videos! 40 hp.Etec basically same as 50,And 60's Head to head same boats and test loadsBeat Yamaha,Suziki,Mercury in ALL tests! Same results for larger Horse power! Also 5 yr.warranty is now 10 years! Can any other motor mfg.come close to that?

3/12/18 @ 5:55 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

You stated your ratings are post 2000, so a 2007 review of outboards should be fair game. 

Also, do you have a link to your ratings?  Or are your ratings simply based on your opinion? 

Just curious... 

Most of us are likely biased based on the outboard we own. If you have a link (showing Yamaha and Honda at the top, Briggs in the middle, and Etec at the bottom)  I’d certainly like to read it. 

3/11/18 @ 2:24 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Glad to hear the information is "out there" 

Could you please share the link with your ratings?

I really believe all new motors are solid.  I have a 2010 Etec on my fishing boat with 1,200 hours on it - it has been absolutely flawless. It is the most reliable motor I've owned.  

I also have a Yamaha on my pontoon boat - it also has been flawless.  I would recommend either without hesitation. 

Suzuki and Honda are also great performers.  

I'm most interested in your ratings 1pass.  I did find this But it doesn't agree with your ratings so it must be wrong...

Interestingly the Verado and Etec is at the top of their list for most reliable motors, whereas it is at the bottom of yours...

3/11/18 @ 12:59 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

This is 2018! I offer 55 yrs. of my experience !Etec,Merc. Yamaha,Honda all Good motors ! I happen to prefer AMERICAN made products,ETec and 70 hp.and above Mercurys! Grandad

3/11/18 @ 12:29 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Where did you find that nugget of information 1pass?

3/8/18 @ 10:17 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Granddad,  I agree with you,  merc 2 strokes are bullet proof.  I owned a few as well.  my first boat out of college had a 9.9,  ran it 20 years never did a thing but impellers every other,  every three years.  Your post was nothing but the truth.  2006 though mercury had nothing but issues with the 4 strokes ECM's when they went to china.  I believe it was 90 and under,  everyone had the issues,  unless you don't fish often you may not see it.  Motors were shutting off coming to idle speed and hesitating out of the hole.  Besides that, as you said,  the 2 strokes were phenomenal motors.  

I think Etec knew that 4st in all motors mad people unhappy.  you wanted to buy a kicker,  you had to go 4st.  Etec capitalized on a opportunity. 

3/8/18 @ 9:08 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

I have had 4Merc.50 hp 2 strokes since 1970 no problems at all,plugs and impellers only maintenance itemize! Also a25, 2 9.9s and a 5.used the for duck hunting and kickers ! Same thing impellers and plugs ! Lower unit drain and fill on all.Always run carbs. Dry after use and fog cylinders.Had a 50 4 stroke EFI for 8 yrs.had starting problems toward end,but turned out to be Boat fuel line! 4 stroke winterizing was a pain, And 50's were being made in China! Bought a 50 ETec in2013 and it has been bullet proof,and can winterize it in 5 minutes! Proper Maintaince and care is essential ! And ETec's are made in Wi.USA! Grandad

3/8/18 @ 6:43 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

pass,I had a 50hp Merc for 21 years used the heck out of it.Yamaha is a good motor also,but if it has gears bearings some things can happen.I was told a by two dealers one in Greenbay and one in Savana that if something does go wrong they like to blaim the owner.Both dealers handled Yamaha and Etecs.Buy the way that 50hp merc is still going after I sold it 15years ago.

3/8/18 @ 4:21 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

Most keep for more than 3 years.

Point being Yamaha Suzuki will run longer with alot less cost.

Buy what you want but expect lost fishing time with a Mercury even a new one under warranty.

3/6/18 @ 5:31 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Just a ? If you had a New Merc.for 3 yrs.how could you have $5000 in repairs on a motor that was Factory warranted  for 3 years? If is was used that is a different story! I thought the question was new motors ! Just wondering!

3/5/18 @ 6:35 PM
ButtsD
User since 12/20/12

I believe Yamaha made the heads for Mercury motors for a long time.  Check the facts why 99% of the outfitters from Canada get together and buy Yamaha motors by the semi loads.  They will tell you because they are bullit proof...

3/4/18 @ 2:47 PM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

Had Yamaha or Suzuki for 16 years cost me $0 in repairs. 

Had a Mercury for 3 years

cost me $5000 in repairs.

2/22/18 @ 9:00 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I drive Ford's and own 4 Yamaha's, 1 Honda, 1 Mercury, 1 OMC. The 4 Yamaha's are the work horses of the bunch for good reason.

2/21/18 @ 11:34 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

They are all good motors these days, it’s the Ford Chevy deal. I drive a Ford and own a couple of Mercury’s 

2/21/18 @ 6:51 PM
Slab Daddy
Slab Daddy
User since 6/16/14

I say buy American! You will hear guys say well some Mercury's are made in Japan and some Yamaha's are made in America, which may be true but the Mercury is an American company and the Yamaha is from a Japanese company. Support American companies!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 101 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE