SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Yamaha vs Mercury outboard

11/30/17 @ 10:41 PM
INITIAL POST
froztundra
User since 11/30/17

I'm looking to buy a new 18.5 ft Lund boat and I noticed they all come with Mercury outboard motors (I think Brunswick owns both companies). I currently have a 2001 Lund with a Yamaha 80 HP that I will be giving to my son.  The Yamaha motor has been great and I would like a Yamaha (150HP) on the new boat. I would like some opinions and feedback on which motor to get. (or if I can even get a Yamaha outboard on a new Lund). I welcome any ideas or opinions, Thanks!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 101 posts
3/29/18 @ 6:52 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

1pass

Please tell me how you know Evinrude G3 will be a four stroke?

3/29/18 @ 6:49 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

I guess ALL the Mercs and Evenrude's I have had for the past 50 years with NO problems were just a fanasity!They must have been mislabeled Yahamas! 99% of ALL problems are poor maintaince or winter storage! I have towed in boats from 14 ft. Johns to a 40 ft. Trojan off Sheboygan all because of some sort of owner neglect! Given proper maintaince ALL Motors today are GOOD!

3/29/18 @ 5:46 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

None going out of business. But Evinrude g3 will be a 4 stroke.

3/29/18 @ 5:44 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

1pass, so how long until all the other motor manufactures are going out of business? I am thinking of investing heavily  in Yami stock based on your wisdom

3/29/18 @ 3:34 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

Fuel economy. Start listening to guys that actually run them.

I do 250 Yamaha on friends of mine boat vs 250 etec Yammi gets 1.5 xs fuel mileage as etec.

3/29/18 @ 3:20 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

A guy doesn't have to look far. It is not just one site. The E-TECs problems are all over.

Believe what you want. I am not going to trust an etec with huge history of breakdowns. Maybe where you live you can . But my life friends and familys lives could be on the line where I live.

Out

3/28/18 @ 8:47 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

If you read the fine print Matt, only 1 in 5 Etecs actually achieve the rated GPH and performance. The other 4 perform at a much lower level.   

Only 1 in 5 Etecs actually meet factory specifications (the rest are unreliable)

I’d offer to let you read 1pass’s explanation of this, but he appears to have deleted most of his posts, including the one explaining the 1:5 ratio.  

Maybe send 1pass a PM if you’d like a more detailed explanation.  

Edit: Who are typical Lake-linkers 1pass?  The guys who post a bunch of made-up and make believe nonsense?  Just curious?!? 

3/28/18 @ 1:03 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

BoatTest.com just did a 3 boat test between Yamaha and Evinrude G2 ETEC and their findings were that between those two brands the ETEC edged the Yamaha on fuel economy. I didn't see what kind of boats or HP motors were used but it was pretty clear that the Old 2 stroke can keep up with the 4 strokes 

3/28/18 @ 9:49 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

As luck would have it, my iPhone didn’t refresh, so I took a screenshot of 1pass’s post regarding fuel economy that he deleted.  My post below was in response. 

3/28/18 @ 9:16 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Certainly not ticked 1pass.  We're having a discussion about outboard motors lol!

I'm just trying to broaden your outlook a bit, as the info that you are posting is factually incorrect.  

Fuel consumption charts are readily available on-line.  I selected 150 hp outboards in all categories so that we are comparing apples to apples.

For fuel consumption Yamaha comes in at the bottom for both WOT and at Idle.  Etec comes in #1 for fuel consumption at idle and #3 at WOT.  At any rate, all are very close in fuel consumption, and wouldn't impact my decision on what outboard to purchase if I was in the market.

For me personally, I spend lots of hours in slow no wake areas on the Wolf River, and the Etec is #1 in fuel consumption at that RPM.  I suppose if I was a tournament guy at WOT for hours on end, maybe I'd want a Honda. 

*Honda 150 uses 13.4 GPH at WOT and .5 GPH at idle

*Mercury 150 Opti uses 14.2 GPH at WOT and .25 GPH at idle

*Etec 150 uses 15.1 GPH at WOT .19 GPH at idle

*Yamaha 150 uses 15.5 GPH at WOT and .5 GPH at idle

The point I would like you to be aware of is the outboards that you feel are the best (Suzuki and Yami) are the outboards that you have personally owned - for 16 years according to an earlier post.  Certainly you have some biases whether you want to admit that or not.  

To some degree this is normal, as all of us like to believe that we made an informed decision.  For me, I own a 150 Etec on my fishing boat, a 50 Yami on my pontoon, a 15 Merc on my duck hunting skiff, and a 15 Johnson on my 14' little fishing rig.  I've never owned a Suzuki, but do know that they make good motors.  I've never owned an Opti, but they have certainly figured them out and they are a really nice motor.  

Also worth pointing out is that you routinely delete or edit your original posts after you're pressed for additional details.  If I recall, your original rating had Verados near the bottom.  Recently you stated that you like them, you just don't like the fuel economy.  You also made a post stating " Buy what you want but expect lost fishing time with a Mercury even a new one under warranty"

I just scrolled back to verify your ratings to ensure I was not mistaken (you remember don't you?  Where you rated an air cooled Briggs next to Opti's, Yami's, and Verado's) and guess what, you deleted your original ratings post so we'll never know.  It is hard to keep up with you - somewhat of a moving target. 

Also interesting, to a large degree, ratings on any product include reviews from folks who have actually owned and used the product (as well as performance tests from the entity that is rating the product.)  I'm not sure why you dislike Etecs so much, but they consistently rate at the top for performance and reliability. They are an awesome motor, then again, so are Hondas and Yami's.    

EDIT: 1pass deleted his post that I was responding to regarding fuel economy, so it doesn't make as much sense...  

3/28/18 @ 9:16 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

Typical Lake Linkers.

3/28/18 @ 9:05 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

1pass your a work

3/27/18 @ 4:48 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
I heard 1 in 5 runs ok, the rest are junk, stay away Shane - or buy an air cooled Briggs.
3/27/18 @ 8:15 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Yeah, if I’m ever looking for a new outboard, I will ignore unbiased reviews such as JD Power (and my own experience) in favor of a guy on the internet who says all motors stink except Yamaha...

Your position is actually kind of humorous. Enjoy life looking through those tiny little lenses...

3/27/18 @ 7:49 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Don't let those pesky facts get in the way 1pass.  Perhaps you should buy a Honda, JD Power rates them # 1, JD Power Outboard Motor Review - Honda, Yami, and Etec are the top 3 picks.  They also state that the Etec in known for its reliability.  

The 10 best outboards reviewed by Boats.com includes Etec, Merc., Honda, and Yami.  Boats.com review

Too bad no one is "in the know" but you! 

Really is interesting that you are so convinced that you are correct.  It's like saying Dodge makes the only reliable 4WD Truck.

I'll give you Yami makes a good motor, I actually have one on my pontoon boat.  But Yami simply doesn't make the only reliable outboard.  

I'll let your post speak for itself, you look foolish - just saying...

Displaying 16 to 30 of 101 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE