SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Yamaha vs Mercury outboard

11/30/17 @ 10:41 PM
INITIAL POST
froztundra
User since 11/30/17

I'm looking to buy a new 18.5 ft Lund boat and I noticed they all come with Mercury outboard motors (I think Brunswick owns both companies). I currently have a 2001 Lund with a Yamaha 80 HP that I will be giving to my son.  The Yamaha motor has been great and I would like a Yamaha (150HP) on the new boat. I would like some opinions and feedback on which motor to get. (or if I can even get a Yamaha outboard on a new Lund). I welcome any ideas or opinions, Thanks!

Displaying 30 to 44 of 101 posts
3/27/18 @ 7:49 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Don't let those pesky facts get in the way 1pass.  Perhaps you should buy a Honda, JD Power rates them # 1, JD Power Outboard Motor Review - Honda, Yami, and Etec are the top 3 picks.  They also state that the Etec in known for its reliability.  

The 10 best outboards reviewed by Boats.com includes Etec, Merc., Honda, and Yami.  Boats.com review

Too bad no one is "in the know" but you! 

Really is interesting that you are so convinced that you are correct.  It's like saying Dodge makes the only reliable 4WD Truck.

I'll give you Yami makes a good motor, I actually have one on my pontoon boat.  But Yami simply doesn't make the only reliable outboard.  

I'll let your post speak for itself, you look foolish - just saying...

3/27/18 @ 5:43 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

Thanks again 1pass, you are my new Wrangler5 from the LM Perch thread. I have a question for you 1pass, do you raise perch in a bathtub feeding them chicken poo like your twin Tom?

3/26/18 @ 9:19 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Impossible, 1pass did not rate a Coleman 

3/26/18 @ 8:59 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

You obviously have not been following this thread very closely Shane. 

9 out of 10 Yami’s seldom break. 2 out of 5 Mercs are good, and 1 out of every 5 Evinrudes is good.(Evinrude pays special attention to every fifth motor that comes down the assembly line. They put in better parts and make sure they wire everything correctly)  

There is not enough info to rate G2’s (but they likely are not reliable - the 1 to 5 ratio is discussed above), you can’t believe things you read, Briggs makes a reliable motor (if your looking for an air cooled 5 horse), and Tohatsu’s rock.  

Think that covers it.  

3/26/18 @ 1:07 PM
Badwolf
User since 6/13/07

I love having the confidence to push off the dock BEFORE turning the key.  Yamaha.

3/26/18 @ 6:47 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Etecs are not going anywhere anytime soon...

No comment on the three reliability ratings?  

Oh, that’s right, you knew a guy who knew a guy, who had issues with a motor that wasn’t a Yami,  and you can’t believe everything  that you read.  

BTW, I do believe that Yami and Suzuki make great outboards, but they’re not the only ones...

3/25/18 @ 7:31 PM
Gill 1774
Gill 1774
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/03

I agree etecs are bit more pricey but well worth the money. Have had other motors mostly mercury and hands down Evinrude Etecs rock. No smoke great gas mileage good power and most of all maintenance free. Winter pack away easy. No comparison. Have to go with Plmlk on this one.

3/25/18 @ 12:03 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

Yamaha for me.  With a Lund expect to pay acouple k more because they are not part of Brunswick.  When I bought a boat acouple years ago it was 3k for motor upgrade from 90 to 115hp and another 3.5k to go from Merc to Yamaha 115hp.  And the dealer seemed to not really want to do it.  Ended up going a different route anyways.  Yamaha,Suzuki,Etec....then merc imo and from what I’ve seen/experienced.  That’s sheer day in day out normal fishing situations.  Not weight top end tournament type conditions cause we don’t have a tech trailer at the launch.  I have little experience with Honda’s but have heard very good things.

3/25/18 @ 10:06 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

1pass-

I suppose the 3 reviews I cited also received one of the 1 in 5 motors.  My good buddy Gill 1774 also has an Etec, and he has had the exact same experience as me.  

My bother in law talked me into getting an Etec.  He runs a marina in Oneida County, and told me that I would love the motor, and I do!  

Etecs have been on the market since 2004, there is plenty of history there.  Do some research, you will find that Etecs consistently make the list of most reliable outboards from multiple sources. Are they all mistaken?

Here is a review I found on-line that I thought you may enjoy: "Across the board Evinrude E-TEC engines are as Quiet, Cleaner, Smoother, and in most cases More Fuel Efficient, More Powerful, Lighter, and Less Expensive to maintain than ANY four-cycle engine in this country, Period. Read the facts printed in BLUE in the previous section titled “The Mistaken Perception” .  Four stroke motors develop power every other revolution of the crankshaft. Evinrude E-TEC two strokes develop power on EVERY revolution hence much more power. It is an irrefutable fact that Evinrude is more powerful. More power means smaller horsepower on a boat to perform the same as the bigger heavier less powerful four-cycle.  Less weight uses less gasoline to run the boat and tow the boat.  Also look closely at the California Air Resources Board “Star” rating on the motor you are considering. ALL Evinrude E-TEC engines are Three Star rated. But not all four-strokes are. The less Stars the less efficient"

3/25/18 @ 9:22 AM
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

Good Morning Guys ; Dont laugh but I own a 21ft trophy WA very heavy Boat , Powered by 120 hp merc force , it has never let me down in 8 years just goes to show good and bad in all I have owned many other brands through my years . If I had to buy new I would go e-tech many good reviews next Yamaha . I meet a top man from merc at boat landing 2 years ago and he told me 1 of merc best motors was the one that low rpm 2 cylinders cut out I dont model my friend has that one on his trophy and he trolls with it 2800 plus hrs and he finally has a leak head gasket . Just telling you what I know . Pete

3/24/18 @ 9:17 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

1pass, you are so biased by your opinions that you are unable to see outside of your small little window. Have you ever owned a Verado, Etec, Opti, or Honda?  If not, you are not in a position to review them.

Here is some food for thought: 

Boat Power Buyer's Guide list the 5 most reliable outboards as Honda, Suzuki, Etec, Mercury, and Yami.  

Boating Magazine's list the most reliable motors as Tohatsu, Honda BF 90, Yami 150, Etec 225, Merc. Verado 275

Boats.com lists the most reliable motors as: Honda, Tohatsu, Etec, Suzuki, and Yami

I have 1200 hours on my Etec, it starts right up every time after 8 years of tough duty, most reliable outboard I've ever owned! It also made the most reliable list of a number of leading publications. 

I have a buddy with a Honda who absolutely loves his motor.

I have another buddy with a Yami, he raves about his motor too.  

All of them have proven reliable.  The difference is, because you have not experienced an Etec or a Honda, you feel that they are not as reliable as a Yami - which simply isn't the case. 

I have never owned a Suzuki, but you won't catch me knocking them. 

You should do a bit of research and expand your knowledge base.

Edit: I’ve noticed that you routinely delete your nonsense posts on multiple threads 1pass - what’s up?  Beer keyboard muscles? 

3/24/18 @ 8:25 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

1pass, I gotta ask, who is your weed guy?

3/23/18 @ 9:16 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Or yours with Yami’s...

Yami isn’t the only good outboard out there...

3/13/18 @ 7:29 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Lol, exactly Shane!!!

3/13/18 @ 5:41 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

1pass, not trying to be snarky!.   

You state your ratings are based on your own experience, with reliability being the most important.  How on earth are you rating motors you have not owned.  And rating a Briggs? Not a ton of those air cooled guys bopping around. Certainly not a competitor on anything other than small outboards. 

If you were to post your personal experience with a particular brand / model that you have owned, it would come across much more credible than offering a tow to anyone who owns an Opti or Etec.  Nothing personal, but that comment comes off a bit snarky to say the least...

Then you state that your your ratings are based on your own research (and cite the Hull Truth), but then say you can't believe everything you read, and won't share any of the articles that helped you "form your ratings"

Also, rating 13 motors from best to worst typically requires quite a bit of testing, research, owner reviews, etc.  I am also curious on how you rated the G2  #7 with no historical data to draw from.  

I met a guy up in Vilas County last year who was griping that after 400 hours his Suzuki was toast.  He said Suzuki wouldn't stand behind it, and he ended buying an Opti.  Have not seen him since, no clue if he likes it or not.  I don't know the full back story on the Suzuki, but I do know that Suzuki makes a really good outboard.  

A different buddy on the Wolf River blew the head on his Yami two years ago.  Guess what, Yami's are great motors - stuff happens.  

A third buddy had nothing but problem after problem with a 60 hp Etec.  Again, Etec is a good motor.  

I own an Etec (150 hp), and I'll admit I'm biased, I really like it.  Lighter than a 4 stroke, great hole shot, sips gas, winterizes itself, and starts right up every time - even after a 4 month nap.  With 1,200 hours, its interesting to me that it rates near the bottom for you, and it has been the best motor I've owned to date - and I've owned it for 8 seasons.  I fish / boat hard and typically put 150 hours per year on.  My BIL runs a Marina and reps Etec.  I got the BIL deal, so that's why I purchased it.  At any rate, he does business with a number of guides, and etecs come in with 2,500+ hours routinely.  

My point is, my experience is different than yours, but that doesn't make your motor (or my motor) an unreliable POS.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 101 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE