SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

colorado elk

1/2/17 @ 10:24 PM
INITIAL POST
wiredneck1
User since 3/4/11

Does anybody have any tips or recommendations on a diy archery elk hunt in colorado? Headed out there sept 9th-sept17th.

Displaying 31 to 43 of 43 posts
9/10/17 @ 9:49 PM
TipDownRanger19
User since 1/4/06

One we got on Monday, and one that another hunter screwed us out of on Sunday(moved in on the bull we were working the last 30 minutes (had 40-50 yards from us entire time, just awaiting a clear shot)and flung a gut shot at it, we found it 3 days later in same general area).  Slow week but we did hear bugles every morning.  Hot and dry out there with 80 degree afternoons made the morning hunts the only productive time.  Had to be at least 3 miles back to see elk in our area.  Unit 421 at 9200-9400

9/4/17 @ 2:49 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I would love to hop in that boat. That many elk hunts would be lots of days of stories. Sounds like a great time. Good luck to you hunting and your buddy with his tests.

9/4/17 @ 10:11 AM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Stangl52. I've been going to pretty much the same place since 95. We have had about every kind of luck there is in the realm of elk camp. Some not worth wet powder, others that make me and my ex-brother-in-law smile when we talk about 'em. But they are all elk hunting stories, good , bad or otherwise, that  will last our lifetimes. Between he and I, we have popped over sixty elk. We have a good spot??. We have taken the lives of elk and we have  saved the lives of a few elk hunters. Bad things can happen very fast if you don't pay attention.

This year he and I will set up camp on October 4th, then he needs to go back home to get the results of his tests to find out if he has leukemia. Perhaps elk camp will have a different tone to it this year. 

But anyway, I'll get to be up there all by my lonesome , for about ten days.Well, me and our horse. This time next year, I'll be retired and I plan on being up there a bit longer, as I will not have work to contend with. I've paid my dues and the time to reap the rewards is nearing.

I could tell our stories, but one would lead into another and I would have cramps in my thumbs, and I am quite certain I would piss somebody off. So what! If someone wants to hear about elk camp, hop in my boat and we can chat while we author some fish stories. 

colorado elk photo by A5¢
8/26/17 @ 11:43 PM
A5¢
A5¢

Good luck, Saroon. I don't leave until the second of October. Then I will sit up there for three weeks doin' what ever the hell I want! We don't hunt real high, but our camp is at 9400. It does take some adjusting and that's another reason for going up early.

8/26/17 @ 10:12 PM
Saroon
User since 11/14/10

Five more days til we leave for colorado. Hope the legs and lungs are good enough for the trip. Lots of miles on the feet this summer and pounding hills as best as my time has allowed.  Its hard as flat lander to get prepped for the rockies. Good luck to all that are making the trip in the upcoming weeks. Safe travels. Knock 'em down!!

7/5/17 @ 9:02 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01

http://diyhunting.com/ebook/DIY_ELK_HUNTING_5.pdf

The above download has some good tips. I used a few last Fall in CO. Get away from other hunters, in good cover. Google earth is good for scouting.

6/4/17 @ 11:23 AM
A5¢
A5¢

I got lucky this year. I drew, plus I drew a first season cow tag in Colorado. With luck, I will have some good eating this fall. Since the big winter kill a few years back and all the recent political crap from the past couple of years, getting a tag every other year is about as good as one can expect. oh well, at least i will be able to stay on the mountain for three weeks this year,

6/3/17 @ 11:37 PM
Saroon
User since 11/14/10
Definitely not an easy venture but so worth it if you love the outdoors enough. Last year we were planning on getting tags for the unit we were gathering preference points for. Point creep got us and we got the shaft on that unit but we went out instead OTC in unit 231. Tough terrain, hot weather, tough hunting. We only saw 2 elk. We put 43 miles on in 4 days. You definitely need to get your lungs and legs in condition. We just found out that point creep didnt get us this year. 4 pts got us into unit 12 archery. We are going to get dropped by an outfitter about 8 miles in from anywhere. Super pumped but I have a long summer of conditioning ahead of me. Don't go into the rockies with a cocky attitude if you have never been. Those moutains and that elevation can take a poor little flat lander and tear him down to nothing in less than a day. Best advice...prepare your body as best you can and if you are going with the bow...practice, practice, practice. Before we leave, our group is sure to be dialed in at 60 yds. Know what your body can handle, know what you and your bow can do, and enjoy some of the greatest and most beautiful country there is. Good luck to all that go. I hope I can share some pictures of success in mid September.
3/18/17 @ 3:48 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07

Get strong or you will be in a world of hurt. Get the best boots you can afford, the farther you can go, the better chance you will have. Have fun and expect to come home empty handed.

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing

3/12/17 @ 6:48 PM
A5¢
A5¢

Fishy could not be more spot on. Nothing is flat or easy. You have been there, so you have a start. Crowds can help drive animals in one direction, their escape route. A good place to be. I have had the blessing of hunting National Forest for 30 years and have done way better than average. I'm just lucky that way. Keeping your eyes open and seeing what you are looking at is very important. These are elk, not whitetail. I tried to hunt elk like whitetail once. Once.They are very different.

Below are a couple that didn't run faster than the Model 70 280 Remington.

colorado elk photo by A5¢
3/12/17 @ 6:18 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

I read Elk Hunting by Jim Zumbo and it helped me get started. I see he has another book out called the Elk Hunters Bible, which I'm thinking of buying. The first one I got from the library. He is a good writer and it's straight forward. My first trip to Colorado was second season rifle and part of my learning by trial and error. I almost got a bull though, had I known that I could move in on them a little. I held tight like a deer hunter instead. I noticed many people out, which sucked until I went in further. I'm going this year during bow season.

1/10/17 @ 5:07 PM
Fishy1960
User since 10/15/15

I go out Rifle every season, there are more bow hunters Im told than Rifle hunters. I can give you some info, but your going to have to do alot of research, do you have Points,horses, good legs,  ability to spike camp 5 miles from a trail head? ... these are the things you will need to research. No one hear is going to tell you  everything you need to know and not to many people will  tell you even a zone. Its  getting  pretty crowded and its super  tough to do unless you can go every year or every other and  learn the terrain and  where not to hunt. Its tough---but not imposible.

Displaying 31 to 43 of 43 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE