SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

colorado elk

1/2/17 @ 10:24 PM
INITIAL POST
wiredneck1
User since 3/4/11

Does anybody have any tips or recommendations on a diy archery elk hunt in colorado? Headed out there sept 9th-sept17th.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 43 posts
3/8/22 @ 8:30 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Federal Premium BORE LOC with 777 is a good combination for me. Went away from Blackhorn when buddy had two misfires with it. Bullet trickled out barrel to fall on ground 40 yards out. Blackhorn has warning on website about small aperatures in some breach plugs and unloading gun everyday. Good luck on the draw and your hunt.

3/8/22 @ 7:37 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Yes I used the same bullet but I'm not sure of the weight. I thought it was heavier than 270. And 100 grains of Triple 7. I tried the Blackhorn but I did not like it at all. I shot my bull at about 60 yards and he only went about 20 yards. Bullet did not pass through. Good luck

3/7/22 @ 9:44 PM
Cobra57
Cobra57
PRO MEMBER User since 2/4/18

Fishx,muzzleloader season only required 11 preference points last year for unit 20. Good luck on your hunt.

3/7/22 @ 3:03 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14

Do you remember what brand and grain of bullet you used? I’m looking at the Federal B.O.R Lock 270grain. 

3/7/22 @ 1:27 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

We hunted with Mzldr. I think we had 17-18 pts

3/7/22 @ 1:00 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

Good to hear. 20 wasn’t my preferred unit but I’m always a point behind what’s needed and tired of applying for points. I want to hunt with a muzzleloader and that seems to add a couple more points.

3/7/22 @ 12:48 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

My son and I drew Unit 20 in 2019. My son shot a 330 and I shot a 5x6. Nothing too big for me but I could only hunt 2 days so I was happy. Some big bulls in that area especially for CO

3/7/22 @ 11:58 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

Just finished applying for my unit 20 tag! Can't wait!! 22 preference points should do the job. 

9/17/19 @ 1:18 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

Just got back from archery elk in the Park County/ Teller County area. Lots of talk about how the elk are a few weeks behind their normal routine for this time of year. This was my 3rd trip there and I hunt with a friend who is local to the area. OTC either sex tag cost me $674.00. Heard some bugling in the am and pm, but not as much as last year at this time. Found some hot wallows, but visits were infrequent and unpredictable. Had some close calls, but distances beyond 60 yards are a nonstarter for me. Despite eating the tag, I enjoyed the hunt and the scenery cannot be overstated. Muzzleloader season started the 14th, so you'll get more company on public lands.

3/19/19 @ 9:26 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Applying now costs approximately $100

3/19/19 @ 9:17 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07

Things did change.  

Noticed I could not apply for the draw or a PP this year without purchasing a "qualifying" license.  Just another $40-$50 extra from what I gathered.

Now I have a small games license that I will not use.

12/10/18 @ 10:12 AM
War Eagle
User since 6/26/01

Oneshotkleibs, just saw this post today/ I was there for 3rd season and the elk started migrating at the middle to end of the week. Saw a herd of 6 opening day, 30 on Wednesday, over 200 on Thursday and lots of buck everywhere. Almost got it done. Would like to hear how you did.

10/11/18 @ 9:56 PM
Oneshotkleibs
User since 9/13/18

Anyone ever do the Migration Hunt in Craig Colorado going for the 4th season.  Never been out their.  Going on public land

10/6/18 @ 9:43 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Worked my butt off a couple weeks ago and shot a Cow with the Bow. Had to hunt high and low to find them. Weather change last couple of days has pushed them around. I took the dogs out this morning and had 3 Bulls.. one big boy and two young’in’s and probably 12 cows less than 50 yards from the back door just staring at me.

9/10/17 @ 9:52 PM
TipDownRanger19
User since 1/4/06

The one that other hunting party screwed us on, public hunting issues, what a shame

Displaying 16 to 30 of 43 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE