SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

antler restrictions

10/9/17 @ 7:30 AM
INITIAL POST
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

I hunt where they have a minimum 4 pt side to be legal (SE Minnesota) but have not seen much improvement other than many basket deer.  I am against antler point restrictions figuring a deer is a trophy to different people for different reasons and why should we legally change that.  

That said, wondering if there is a better way.  Alternating years-one year-4pt minimum, next year, smaller only, that way these basket deer survive to get big.

Thoughts?

Displaying 46 to 60 of 101 posts
10/16/17 @ 7:49 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I'm all for making WI a 1 buck state. Choose your size,  if your happy with the first deer with a rack,  shoot it.  

The issues is WI has a lot of hunters, but a lot of pretenders.  WI stands to lose a lot of revenue by doing that because a lot of people won't buy a gun tag or vice versa. " i can't shoot two spike bucks this year,  that's BS!"

WI manages licenses remember...not the deer herd

WI should also make shining deer illegal like some other states.

10/14/17 @ 1:16 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
There are a lot of good ideas here and agree.  Do we really need 2 bucks a year? I sure dont.  My last deer was a buck in 2014. Paased a few marginal shots with my bow too. I have not seen a buck while gun hunting since 2009..  And heck ya I shot it. If it was a spike I would have shot it. So, to shoot 1 buck a year is more than enough, and when I shoot a buck I dont shoot a doe the rest of the year or the next year neither.  As hunters in Wisconsin we would greatly help ourselves if we get over the " I need the meat to feed my family" BULL.   I dont like antler limits cause , like Sam Fox said , up in the big woods , that deer will be 3.5 yrs old by the time it has 4 tines on one side and that is indeed a long time in the big woods. Shawano co.  cranks out 4 points on one side when they are 1.5.yrs old.  How bout 1 buck per yr . Can we just try it for 3 yrs?  Some will just howl about 1 buck per yr. But what are you trying to prove with 2 bucks per yr?   As for Wisconsin hunters, we need to change our mentality. Brown is down, I need to feed my family, I deserve 2 bucks and a few does cause I pay taxes, and I hate to say it but this obsession with big bucks has done nothing positive for deer hunting. There is no doubt , many big bucks get poached just so someone can say I shot a big buck. It sold a lot of magazines but what does that do for the average hunter?  It is to the point that hunting is not fun anymore. It is getting to be a burden. I just can't see not hunting deer but if my son decides not to go, this year , I will still go but that may be the last year and I will take up small game, hiking and photography. Laugh if you want but photography has been more enjoyable than deer hunting the last few yrs. I can take my camera 365 days a yr and not even buy a license. ,, , , and , , , I enjoy it more for some reason. This year in Price co. should be better  . I can't call it the ecological dessert like I did 3 yrs ago.  I have not even bow hunted this year due to a busy work schedule.  Fishsqueezer made a point about curbing 1.5 yr bucks by getting rid of baiting. Many hunters, even seasoned hunters can't keep off the trigger in this state so the spike gets the bullet. It is just too easy to shoot a buck over corn here is a pic I got 2 weeks ago in the Kettle Moraine S.F. I saw a deer and I walked closer till I get a decent pic. As I took a few pics I said  " been a long time since I walked up on a deer . Then I looked around and sure enough, corn and apples 10' away. Just so easy to shoot a deer over bait. Here it is 20' away.
10/13/17 @ 11:35 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
The purpose of point restrictions isn't to grow bigger racks...its to grow mature deer. Bigger racks is simply a by-product.
10/13/17 @ 8:36 PM
drewster
User since 7/6/09

What Tim said x2.  I guess for a lot of these people the thrill has just gone out of the hunt when you are seeing 15-20 deer per day and just decide which one to shoot at some point.  Maybe there aren't many of us left who get to hunt only a few days each year, or see a deer  so rarely they cherish each opportunity, and would never pass up a shot at a deer, unless it is a fawn.  Plain and simple, I have been a deer hunter for over 40 years now, have never missed a season, killed over 30 deer, but if an antler point restriction ever happens - I'll be done.

10/13/17 @ 4:40 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

If you really want to see hunter numbers plummet, add point restrictions. What ever happened to 'simplifying things'?

Why has deer hunting become a trophy hunt, instead of putting meat in the freezer or letting one decide what's a trophy and what isn't? I don't get the obsession with the score of a rack. 

I always look at deer hunting being a way to control the population and have some tasty dinners.

Tim 

10/13/17 @ 9:10 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
For the argument of the passing on of poor horn genetics, pretty minimal risk with a wild herd.  In fact, there was a study a couple of years ago that showed it is even tough to change antler genetics in a deer pen through culling smaller bucks.  I also find it hard to believe most areas in WI would struggle to get bucks to 4 points on a side by year 3.  
10/13/17 @ 9:08 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

I don't know how you turn every thread into a bait bashing thread.  I am starting to believe if we ban baiting, not only will we have B&C deer throughout the bait ban counties, but it would also lead to a cure for cancer and Alzheimers.  

10/13/17 @ 8:04 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

You're right I never realized those corn piles could maximize a bucks genetic potential passed down upon them only by their father. Just one of the many wonders baiting bestows upon today's sportsman. 

10/12/17 @ 11:56 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

How do you know it's not the 3x3's mother who passed the poor genitics (sic)?

10/12/17 @ 9:51 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I like the idea of the first buck being current standards and the second buck being 4 points on one side.  The reason I like it is because its a middle ground solution.  Try to go one way or the other and you're probably going to lose.  Sounds good on a site like this but probably not going to fly with the masses.  Remember a few years back they were going to do a doe only hunt in some counties and hunters started closing their lands so the DNR backed off.  That kind of crap will happen if you rile people up too much.  You have to remember that not everyone cares about a buck's antlers as much as you may do.  I know that is a freaky thing to think about for some people but its true.

10/11/17 @ 3:26 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

The other problem with a 4 point per side is those 2.5 bucks will get smashed right away and then we will leave a big 3 X 3 walk to pass on his genitics. But at least they got to live a year longer than they normally do....

10/11/17 @ 3:03 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13

Not a bad idea first buck whatever. Anything bigger then 3" and then second has to have 4 points on one side. They would get two bucks for the whole season. Most people wouldn't shoot two. 

10/11/17 @ 2:46 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09
I think antler restrictions are a good idea as it will help protect a few of the younger bucks, but that will never work in WI. I get that lots of people have to hunt public land but there is good hunting out there if a hunter can put in their time. I wish we would end the group bag and make a one buck rule. Everyone has different reasons for hunting (meat, horns, etc.) but after a few years I think we would have some nicer bucks running around
10/11/17 @ 8:25 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

If you're worried that too many 1.5 bucks are being killed you should be on board with a bait ban. 2016 Price county buck harvest up over 40% Oneida county buck harvest essentially flat. Neighboring counties, essentially identical habitats, but with one difference. As a result Oneida county has more 2.5 bucks on the landscape right now than if baiting had been allowed. That is a fact. The 1.5 bucks that you feel that need protection are most vulnerable to baiting. 

10/11/17 @ 7:23 AM
BigTymer
User since 12/27/01

Up to two bucks tags per year, not weapon specific.   First tag regular price, no antler restrictions.  Second buck tag, say $100+ and the buck must have at least 4 points on one side.   No group bagging during gun season. 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 101 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE