SEARCH
MORE
Archery

The great bow /crossbow debate

10/31/18 @ 2:32 PM
INITIAL POST
str8shot
User since 11/19/10

Since I have about 2 months to burn being laid up and haven't been on in a while, I figured I would see how some fellow lake linkers feel on the topic of crossbows now that they have been legal in the archery season for a few years. 

I'm interested in knowing WHY (big emphasis on the "WHY")….you either do or don't support having them being a part of the archery season. 

As the thread progresses I figure I'll have chances to support my own thoughts on the topic.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 583 posts
3/11/22 @ 7:41 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

A bolt is not an arrow. Different names for different things.

3/10/22 @ 9:47 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

The crossbow shoots an arrow, which puts it into archery. You all know that though.
One thing I can agree with you on is the proposed 1 Buck rule.
Not a problem with that at all.

3/9/22 @ 8:15 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

I agree with Granpa. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone is entitled to use any legal weapon for hunting .
If anyone disagrees strongly about any of the Legal Weapons authorized by the State, go talk to the State. 

3/9/22 @ 11:09 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

When the compound bows came on the market and became the gotta have weapon in the 1970's, the sky was falling then also.  

3/8/22 @ 7:44 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to use whatever weapon is legal.  That being said I believe that xbow use should be limited to only people that can not use a vertical bow. I am on my counties deer advisory committee and I get to see the buck kill numbers. In 2021 many more bucks were killed with xbow than were killed with vertical bow. The numbers the last few years have been steadily increasing for xbow and for the archery season because of it. Maybe it is just because there are more people using them every year. For some people the temptation of not having to practice before season is just too great. Just shoot it to make sure it is still sighted in and go hunting. Do not have to worry about when to draw your bow or having to hold it  back for any length of time. When xbows first became legal to use I personally know of many people that never bow hunted before that went and bought one because it was so easy to use. Those people wounded a lot of deer that were  never found because they knew nothing of the weapons effective range or about blood trailing inn general. There, rant over.

3/7/22 @ 8:56 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Read that today as well. Brust had a letter printed right after Kaz was elevated. The writing has been on the wall. Still makes me laugh that the guy who has made thousands as the "Midwest's bowhunting and CROSSBOW authority" "We will not be undersold".  He's now in a position for a gimme for a question in the hearing. Personally, I wouldn't but a tube of string wax from the guy, but I would be a ticked off camper if just plunked down a grand for a crossbow and the owner is and HAS actively attempted to limit their use. There is a whole lot of history on this topic on numerous sites, smelled like dung then, smells like dung now. 

3/7/22 @ 6:45 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

Just got the latest issue of the Wisconsin Outdoor News, and it looks like Kazmerski the new NRB board chair is still pursuing changes to crossbow usage and seasons.  Any of the NRB board members have the right to include questions on the April Conservation Congress hearings in April.  He is submitting a question that asks " Would you support the NRB request from the DNR another review of the impacts of the crossbow season on Wisconsin's gun deer season?  

Keep in mind, that  in October of 2019, the DNR published a 140 page report on crossbows' in hunting.  It was the most in depth research ever done in the entire united states.  It covered many sources and included information and findings from other states.  It concluded that the effects of crossbow  were of no real concern in hunting and deer management.  It also concluded that the issues with crossbows was of a social nature and not a biological issue.  Actually the Wisconsin DNR supports crossbows in deer hunting.  

Kaz  and his counterparts are still on the premise that the crossbow deer harvest is spiraling out of control and all the bucks are being harvested before the gun hunters have a chance at them in the nine day gun season.  The main goal is to alter/change/shorten the crossbow season Ultimately restricting its use during the prime time rut period. 

Strangely, in my recent past research on that particular subject, I could find no evidence of such concern by gun hunters.  I talked with two local game wardens and also a regional warden supervisor with control of a 15 county area and numerous wardens in central Wisconsin.   I asked them if they heard of any comments from upset gun hunters regarding crossbow harvest rates,,  They all said they have not heard any such complaints.   I also have talked with a representative from Whitetails unlimited with their home office in Sturgeon Bay, Wi.  They also said they have not heard of any such comments.  I have also talked with numerous hunters, and again, no such comments.  

Reality is, Kaz stands with the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association with their never ending anti-crossbow campaign.  

3/7/22 @ 3:25 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

I used to be crossbows, that is not bow hunting.  Probably just like when I was shooting recurves and the compounds became popular.   Or when I was shooting the an old Hawken percussion cap front loader muzzleloader and the Inline ML's became all the rage.

Now, who am I do judge what makes a person happy, I really don't give a flying rip anymore.  As long as the person is safe and they are using the right tool for the season then good for them.

Hunters and Fisherman are their own worse enemy, always thinking that they are the only ethical one who ever participated in the sport.  I would embrace the fact that you have the options to use them, and if you don't want to then don't.  Just like soft water fisherman complaining about ice fisherman, or guys in little boats complaining about guys in big boats, or complaining electronics are to sophisticated.

a lot of time spent fussing over what someone else is legally doing.  Its gotta be frustrating for those folks.  Go enjoy yourself, whack a doe, whack a little buck, wait for the big one.  Be courteous, and don't be a @-hole. 

3/6/22 @ 7:35 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I'm against them but also resigned to the fact they're here to stay.  Just like I've been against pretty much all DNR rules changes since the late 90s.  They really have been cooking the golden goose imo.  Every rule change was designed to kill more deer.  More tags.  More seasons.  Different weapons.  I was also against allowing magnified scopes on muzzleloaders, against holiday and t zone hunts, etc.  the problem is they're managing for extermination and not for quality.  In fact, if you look at this state, there is two main things.  Areas with high public land areas are poor hunting and low population.  Places with lots of deer like the driftless area have access issues and not a ton of public land.  It used to not be this drastically bad.  Two bucks a year needs to go away I agree.  It devastates high hunter density areas, and makes access even tougher as the haves have multiple tags and seasons to hunt.  

3/6/22 @ 5:19 PM
rock river
User since 7/26/07

Yeah they may as well open the season September to January non weapon specific. So all the crossgun hunters can just sit out w their high powered rifles and smoke the first spiker they see. Then get the hell out of the woods and let us hunters that still enjoy the thrill of the chase, and the difficulty that goes with it, to earn our deer

3/2/22 @ 12:14 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

The one thing they don't show or tell you about the Ravin 100 yard shot is the amount of arc in the bolt. There is over 8 feet of arc in the shot. If you are off in your yardage by only a few yards your shot will miss the target. Better yet wind change or the target moves.  I have also witnessed vertical bows shoot at 100 yards and hit the target just the same. Granted their groups were not as tight as sitting on a bench rest, but never the less, they hit the target. These shooters had a 100 yard pin and yes a huge amount of arc. Bottom line is to take ethical shots, within your comfort zone, what ever you are shooting. I still put in many days up in the trees waiting for a nice deer and have never struggled shooting one with either weapon. Still 100% of my shots are within 30 yards but would take a 40 yard shot if it was a standing animal. 

They also advertise shooters taking 1,000 yard shots with their rifles. Ethical, I don't think so but I also don't hear their uproar about this.  I don't believe many hunters actually shoot two bucks when the data was published. Some do, but I don't think it is a major issue. If we did go to one buck, I would assume the amount of gun licenses would drop considerably as most archery hunters I know also gun hunt. Big loss of revenue for the DNR and the general public if these hunters didn't head to their cabins throughout the state.

3/2/22 @ 8:35 AM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

Just seems to me all the anti xbow talk points to hunting being a competitive sport with other hunters. "Advantage" has been used so much in many of those posts... I suppose with the record book horn hunters it may be all about chest puffing. That's a shame. I prefer to hunt for relaxation and enjoying God's amazing creations.  If I have a chance to put some meat in the freezer, great.  Why would anyone not want to use the most effective tool to humanely harvest an animal? If its the challenge and competition of it by using a vert bow then join a 3d league. I hunted with a vert bow in wisconsin for a long time and still do for western hunts, but i would gladly switch to a xbow for all hunting as it gives the animal the best chance at a humane end.  

*edit...I do support the 1 buck per year rule.

3/2/22 @ 8:11 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Never been an xbow fan for the able bodied but also resigned to the fact they are here to stay. Life goes on and my day will come when I need to make the switch from a vertical bow. Holding out as long as I can.

I am a big proponent of 1 buck/season/hunter. Would more evenly distribute hunting pressure, encourage selectivity and (hopefully) reduce the total buck kill substantially .

Regrettably, I don't think this change will ever occur.  Why? With the presence of CWD throughout the state and evidence that bucks are more likely to be infected, I believe the DNR has an unspoken mission to reduce the deer population, bucks in particular, as much as possible in the interest of reducing disease spread. I won't debate if this tactic would have any chance to make an actual difference but I certainly take issue with such a hidden agenda and the lack of honesty with sportsmen.

3/2/22 @ 7:40 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Hunt smarter not harder.

I use both. Used the xbows more than ever last season. Never climbed a tree. Brush in a ground blind into natural landscape with some scent controls. It is surreal to have deer poke there noses at you under 5 yards at ground level. 

Gun deer season is a thing of the past for me.

1 buck per season would be great.

3/2/22 @ 7:18 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

I’m 61 & hunt w/ vertical bow from a tree stand. I can see transitioning to crossbow / ground blind when the time comes but I’ll hold off til it’s my only option. 

One buck per season would solve a lot of issues.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 583 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE