SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 1:25 PM
INITIAL POST
Alex the dog
User since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Displaying 61 to 75 of 733 posts
4/10/18 @ 4:50 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I agree with the party tag, and was really disappointed when it was promptly returned to junior tags. Now uncle Bob and hang jr's tag on his doe and heep hunting through the week. Moreso now that infants are spending their lawnmowing money on deer tags.

4/10/18 @ 4:44 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Im agreeing w eliminating special seasons. No tzone, no holiday hunt and giving less tags where they don't need more doe shot.   I hunt Marquette, waupaca, green lake and shawano counties. All of which in some areas need doe shot.  The public sprinkled in between all of those not so much.  I don't think anyone should be able to go walk any public and blast antlerless if they won't do it on their private. Lots of that going on.  I believe the season should run to the end of January, let xbows hunt during archery and normal gun season if not shortened to 7 days.  9 days the kill was double what archery does in 4 months.  That's pretty simple to stuff. Who cares about xbows.  I don't like em but who cares. Its legal.  Maybe there should not be an option. Pick a vbow or xbow and thats it.  Sell the xbow for $5 more under 55. Done

Party hunting is mind boggling, i agree on that too

4/10/18 @ 4:41 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Doesn't surprise me on the crossbow vote.  However, it fails to amaze me that sportsmen and sportswomen still feel it is OK to party tag deer - vote failed.  To me, that is far more detrimental than guys using crossbows.  People in this state refuse to limit the number of deer they will shoot, but will be the very same people to complain there are few deer.  Again, the DNR will be happy since more deer can be continued to be killed, and will never go on record of supporting the end of party tagging.  Sickening to me quite frankly.  Might as well allow archers to party tag deer if they are hunting as a group also at this point. 
4/10/18 @ 4:39 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Looks like a healthy majority saw thru the underhanded ruse the WBH was trying to pull.

4/10/18 @ 4:27 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

I'm sorry too but when you see someone saying they shoot all them does and then agreeing with JC about the dnr giving out less tags and shorter seasons for crossbow and other things it makes you wonder.

4/10/18 @ 4:13 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
Fltlndr - it is my fault i did not elaborate on prior posts.  I don't blame you for you pointing that out.  I have three spots actually where i shoot doe.  One don't hunt often, two i hunt a lot.  If i pop into one 2-3 times a year its for a doe. The deer tear apart the landowners garden and hewamys a few shot.  The others i will kill a couple /few a piece.  All private, ag country. Lots of deer.  I can't say that 7-8 years ago, eab knocked it way down.  Now its back and needs a few out yearly.
4/10/18 @ 3:54 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

For everyone concerned, here you go.

Question 18

YES - 2660         NO - 3164

http://dnr.wi.gov/About/WCC/Documents/spring_hearing/2018/2018StatewideResults.pdf

4/10/18 @ 3:53 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Every area is different, and some areas have a lot of deer.  However, these are usually private land areas where landowners are managing responsibly.  I am guessing that is where LB is referring to.

However, to expect hunters to somehow police themselves to not to shoot, that is not going to happen and is frankly lunacy to expect change or blame anyone.  It has not happened historically, and will never happen.  If you have 4 out of 5 groups practice restricted harvest, that 5th group will just shoot the extra deer the other groups passed up.  Once you accept this as fact, then you can move on to the only available measure to prevent overharvest - STOP ALLOWING IT.  Very simple concept, but DNR has no willingness to listen to its customers. 

Again, longer seasons, more seasons, better weapons, and unlimited antlerless tags have resulted in the only thing that could have resulted....and we are seeing it.  The DNR was very efficient at managing numbers and age structure to what was designed. 

4/10/18 @ 3:25 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

What ever dude.

4/10/18 @ 2:58 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

You worry about yourself pal. I hunt 3 properties,  2 of which I shoot doe.  Are you happy that i filled in the grey area for you?

4/10/18 @ 1:39 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

LB that must suit you just fine after you saying you shoot 2 to 5 does a year a few days ago.

4/10/18 @ 1:07 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

OO,  that's all you can do pal.

4/10/18 @ 1:01 PM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

Well its Wisconsin so a lot of people cant help themselves.  Me personally I wont shoot does not after what I help to create by shooting 1 or 2 does a year in the early 2000s when I was in my teens.  Problem is too many people have to "get theirs".  I do believe people are starting to realize this but not enough to make a big impact especially on public land.  A lot of people when I explain to them about holding off and passing on does to get the herd back up basically I get a piss off.  Fine by me the hunting is going to get worse before it will get better  Ill keep managing the herd based on observations I see in the field and keep watching the amount of hunters decrease every year it will only get better.

4/10/18 @ 12:38 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

here's a great idea,  the DNR can give whatever and make more seasons,  but how about WI hunters take responsibility and shoot only what they can eat?  WOW,  what a concept.   Everyone knows the WIDNR agenda on reducing the herd,  why do people keep killing where it doesn't need to be thinned out.  My situation,  I see 15 antlerless in the fields and another 15 at the same time 1/4 mile away.  I can shoot 3 a year and so can my buddy off that piece.  However,  a different spot i hunt,  bigger bucks,  better age structure,  less deer, non ag...I don't shoot doe because I see a two doe families all season.  The gun hunters shoot them so leave them alone.

The WIDNR can have a agenda and push it,  but people don't have to be sheep lead out into the pasture.  Other states you see 40 doe a night,  their DNR isn't handing out tags like halloween candy.

It's not the Xbows, it's the hunters.  If we want better hunting and better quality it starts by laying off the trigger and having some patience. 

4/10/18 @ 11:13 AM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

JC-WISCONSIN

A-men BROTHER!!!

Old Governor Doyle & the dnr with there eradication zones, and earn a buck.

If they still had power the entire state would be an eradication zone by now.

Killem all and save the wolves is there model 

Displaying 61 to 75 of 733 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE