SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Deer success rate

4/9/18 @ 11:19 PM
INITIAL POST
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

In light of the archery season question at this year's spring hearing I decided to break down the success rate based on licenses sold vs harvest numbers.

Numbers are for 2017-18 season

Gun deer (includes regular, youth, muzzleloader and all antlerless)

License sold 582,281

Deer killed 227,645

Kill Rate 39%

Regular Archery

License sold 152,660

Deer Killed 45,166

Kill Rate 29%

Cross bow

Licenses sold 82,660

Deer killed 47,228

Kill Rate 57%

With the current season frame work a hunter using a crossbow has a 18% higher success rate than any other form of weapon.  Almost 2x the success rate over a verticle bow.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 85 posts
4/17/18 @ 4:20 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

So, big deal! shut up and hunt. Talk about beating a dead horse.

4/16/18 @ 9:21 PM
Red Eagle
User since 12/17/16

LOL!!!!!! 

4/16/18 @ 1:20 PM
Highbridge
User since 1/29/18
Make sure the people who use a spear have a shorter season than the ones who use a rock.....spears have an advantage over rocks.
4/16/18 @ 11:02 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Grandad, spot on...

4/16/18 @ 9:19 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Grandad I think you hit the nail on the head with your post, I have switched to the new technology ( crossbow ) and many of the good hunters I know whom also are land owners have also switched. These are also people that harvest deer every year during the archery season, is it possible that the numbers show higher crossbow success mainly because these successful hunters switched to the newest technology just like the recurve hunters switched to compound bows when that became the newest thing and harvest numbers went up as they now are doing. ( I hear you on the cell phone thing as it has really affected the ice fishing here on the Mississippi river, I see guys start catching then get on their phones and the all their friends show up )

4/16/18 @ 6:12 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

I am 72, shot my first 5 deer with a recurve,shot my biggest buck with a compound all on public land!My shoulders and back are a mess and have used a cross bow for the past 12 years! I now hunt private land and the XBow allows me to still hunt!Technology is effecting all hunting and fishing!Do you want to  restrict fish locators,gps,heavy steel shot,game cameras,robo decoys! And the biggest CELL phones!Maybe we should all go back to spears and rocks,then everybody will be equal!

4/15/18 @ 7:47 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

All this worry about deer success rate makes me laugh!! First of all I read where some want a 1 buck rule, well if you read in the DNR report there was less then 11000 hunters that registered 2 bucks last year. Do you really think that few extra bucks shot really makes a difference? Not a chance!!!        I think that after the 3 years of crossbow seasons it is obvious that deer hunting as we know it is changing and some people are afraid of change.  A lot of people are getting fed up with gun season and would rather get their deer with a crossbow. For most hunters gun season has to many idiots in the woods, the deer got the crap scared out of them and the weather many seasons is not so good. Yea if you got your own land or have a nice secluded hunting spot up north, gun season is not so bad but most people don't have that. Yes the success rate is better with the crossbow, leave this season as is and you will see the harvest with the crossbow keep going up but who cares?? Well everyone knows who cares, its a bunch of verticle bowhunters that are jealous that one of their bucks is going to get shot by a crossbow!  You can't blame a person to rather stretch his hunting out over a few months, pick his time and weather he wants to hunt, not have all the idiots in the woods and have the deer moving naturally. So if a lot of hunters want to hunt all fall with a crossbow just let them. I hunt with my verticle compound bow yet but someday I may buy a crossbow. So good luck crossbow hunters in your battle to save your season because with all the antihunters out there now we should all just try to get along!!

4/14/18 @ 2:45 PM
fishhook
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
The numbers are the numbers.  People can argue all they want, but the fact is (common sense) a crossbow is a much more lethal weapon than a vertical bow.  Open up all bow season to rifle hunters, and you would see success rates much higher than crossbow.  
4/14/18 @ 11:58 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

But almost twice as many bow licenses were sold . Plus how many hunting days are used ? When I bow hunted I was working and was lucky to go  4-5 times . Now I'm retired and expect to get out more often with the crossbow . 

Numbers can be massaged many ways .

4/13/18 @ 1:08 PM
Bass Master1992
Bass Master1992
User since 12/26/10
Typically you see more deer during archery season (and it's longer) and since shooting a crossbow is closer to shooting a gun than a vertical bow, it doesn't shock me the crossbow success rate is that much higher than gun.
4/12/18 @ 10:57 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I had a patrons license and they still ask for the weapon used.  Yes some could lie, but it would be pretty pointless so you have to assume its a small number that are inaccurate.  I can see this on the Go Wild site yet in my harvest history so its just a value in a database that they could query if they really wanted to.  I guess it wouldn't show info on who didn't get a deer though.  May be able to infer if someone shot a doe with a crossbow they probably used one and just didn't get a buck.  Or if they harvested a deer with a crossbow in 2016, they probably used one in 2017 and didn't get one...could get a little more accurate anyways.

There was an article that I read the other day that said harvest rates overall may not be changing drastically but when we shoot the deer is.  More people are opting to do it during bow/crossbow season vs gun season.  Or maybe less deer are available for gun season, not sure what the take is exactly.
4/10/18 @ 9:11 PM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

I see what you guys are saying I forgot about patron licenses.  So let's say for the 46,805 patron license sold even though we don't know which way they hunted the archery choice breaks down the same way as the rest of the state where 65% bought a license for vertical bow and 35% went with crossbow.  This would add 30,423 to vertical bow hunters numbers vs 16381 for cross bow.

Regular licenses

182,609 killed 45166 deer

Success Rate 25%

Cross bow

93,041 killled 47228 deer

Success Rate 51%

4/10/18 @ 7:04 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Also curious where your harvest data came from. With an archery license there is the upgrade option to allow either vertical bows or crossbows. Is the weapon of choice specified when registering a kill? Where do Patron license archery kills get placed? Is it weapon specific? I did see in another thread the anti crossbow group put all the upgrade and Patron numbers in the crossbow category to bolster their argument. 

4/10/18 @ 7:02 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
User since 11/3/08

I did. That is  why I asked

4/10/18 @ 6:50 PM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

These numbers are straight from the DNR website.  You can look up 2017 deer harvest numbers they are all broken down and separated by season.  Then elsewhere in the DNR website you can find license sales numbers.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 85 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE