SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Deer success rate

4/9/18 @ 11:19 PM
INITIAL POST
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

In light of the archery season question at this year's spring hearing I decided to break down the success rate based on licenses sold vs harvest numbers.

Numbers are for 2017-18 season

Gun deer (includes regular, youth, muzzleloader and all antlerless)

License sold 582,281

Deer killed 227,645

Kill Rate 39%

Regular Archery

License sold 152,660

Deer Killed 45,166

Kill Rate 29%

Cross bow

Licenses sold 82,660

Deer killed 47,228

Kill Rate 57%

With the current season frame work a hunter using a crossbow has a 18% higher success rate than any other form of weapon.  Almost 2x the success rate over a verticle bow.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 85 posts
4/19/18 @ 3:27 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"JC I can honestly say I have never once heard anybody brag about shooting multiple bucks in a year. I must not know any of the 10,800 hunters statewide."

Then this must be a regional thing.  I didn't know that only 10,800 hunters shoot a buck with a rifle after shooting one with a bow, and also those that shoot bucks for others in their rifle hunting crew.  I didn't realize DNR actually tracked party tagging on the registration form.  I am really ignorant.

4/19/18 @ 2:13 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

LongBarrels

In case you've missed my point, which you have, here it goes; A lot of hunters out there who gun and bow don't have as much time as some of us do to hunt, jobs, family, health, financial the list goes on. But they enjoy the time afield when they can, It does not make a person lazy. My crossbow argument would be that I would rather have someone very proficient with a crossbow in there hands than someone with a vertical bow who hasn't practiced. Some will say the crossbow guy will be taking those 100 yard shots that are advertised, do we really believe that hunter would be anymore ethical with a vertical bow or a rifle for that matter. My opinion is no. I really wish that we were back to the days that a person was just happy to get their deer,buck or doe, there were no terms like; "encounters, hit lists, booner, P&Y, etc etc." These guys on the hunting shows today talk about there sponsors like a nascar driver after winning a race. Our gun group consists of a farmer, an air traffic controller, a couple of firefighters, a couple of retired guys and a hotel convention center manager. We are all deer hunters. My self and my son spend a ton of time in the woods. We are not superior than the guys in our group. Just hunt, if your area isn't producing find a different area. Different people get different things out of the hunt, my dedication or perceived lack of, is no better than anyone else. If you will give it up when you can no longer pull it, that's your gig. Good for you, insulting those that don't agree does far more harm than the weapon used. If I've rustled your feathers or offended I apologize.

4/19/18 @ 1:29 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

LB the way you talk some would think you hunt Iron county public land from the ground with a recurve. Or is your chosen level of difficulty the golden standard by which all others must abide? 

4/19/18 @ 1:03 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

However, If I had a dime for every time someone showed me a picture of their buck and mentioned the score I could probably retire.

Edit: Or the age

When I run into one of those guys, I reply with, "That would have been good one next year."  Then I laugh.

4/19/18 @ 12:49 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

JC I can honestly say I have never once heard anybody brag about shooting multiple bucks in a year. I must not know any of the 10,800 hunters statewide. However, If I had a dime for every time someone showed me a picture of their buck and mentioned the score I could probably retire. 

Edit: Or the age

4/19/18 @ 11:08 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"“C'mon, mad. It's simply the best, most accurate and reliable measure of one's manliness out there. Everyone knows that.“

I’m pretty sure a system to measure and score antlers would be how most people on here measure and compare manliness. "

There are still droves of guys that brag about how many bucks they shot with the rifle (party tagging), and bragging about filling both their tags every year (archery and gun).  I have had heated arguments with these guys afterward because it always follows with "I never get a chance at a big buck."  Most of the time it is the guy who passed up the forks, spikes, and 6's during bow season only for him and his group to shoot them all with the rifle.  I say go ahead and brag all you want that you shot 2, 3, 4, etc. forkhorns, but never complain about not shooting a big deer.  The right to complain about that should be revoked obviously.

4/19/18 @ 10:49 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Settle down LB, I'm 56. Sorry but you dont have a lock on my opinions. Done here. Your insulting commentary is unnecessary. All hail the great archer.

4/19/18 @ 9:08 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06
The average age of a crossbow license holder is 52 (39 for archery) so essentially half of the crossbow hunters and their more efficient weapons will remain in addition to the people who can find one of the many doctors that never turned someone down. The remaining crossbow hunters, or “scabs,” will still shoot bucks during the reduced season at a rate higher than their vertical bow hunting counterparts. 
4/19/18 @ 9:02 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

More name calling....... guess I'm not surprised.

4/18/18 @ 4:59 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

skunked as usual

4/18/18 @ 4:34 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

"Baby" "cornpile" cmon man how old are you. I only quoted the exact things you posted, but I have the broad brush. Nice spin.

4/18/18 @ 4:02 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

C'mon, mad. It's simply the best, most accurate and reliable measure of one's manliness out there. Everyone knows that.“

I’m pretty sure a system to measure and score antlers would be how most people on here measure and compare manliness.  Kind of similar to ...TMI

4/18/18 @ 3:27 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

sheesh manni, this wellsely freshman speak is getting long in the tooth, what 5 or 6 decades now?

4/18/18 @ 2:55 PM
BagoBoy320
User since 11/4/10

Mad, you have every right to quality deer, all you have to do is pass on the smaller bucks.  #whitetaillivesmatter

4/18/18 @ 2:12 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Lb, I guess I hit a nerve, no corn piles for this guy, pretty feeble assumption , bugs don't bother me, yup 1st year with a cross bow after 42 seasons with a vertical bow. I will take 2 bucks in a year if I decide to. No name calling individual from an internet forum will change my mind. Your attitude and immaturity will just make guys like me dig in deeper. By the way, your 1 buck season will never happen, and last I checked wi is still right up there for quality bucks in both pope and young, and Boone and Crockett,  now go give mad for labs a big ol hug.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 85 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE